Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Can someone explain Prizm to me? Maybe Panini Pricing in general?

Maybe its because I find more value in hits but why is Panini Prizm so expensive when it only gives two autos per box? I see some of the graded variations sell for thousands of dollars. Isn't this just Panini's answer to Topps Chrome and their refractors/xfractors etc? What's with all the hype? Also, how many variations are there? I just find this product so confusing in general

SCF Rewards
    Country

For whatever reason Topps Chrome took off years ago in football and basketball. I don't really know why either but it had some history in basketball dating back to the Kobe Bryant days with the very hard to find retail 1996-97 Topps Chrome set. That's the best rookies for that draft class and ever since then the brand Topps Chrome has grown in popularity. It went away when Topps lost the NBA license but Panini basically made their own in Prizm. While not really that popular in the first release it has skyrocketed in popularity and is now one of the most popular basketball brands. Why I don't really know but the rookies from it are popular and in demand so the cost of the box continues to climb.

Also at this point I don't even know how many variations they have. Seems like every year they increase the amount of parallels exponentially and it just becomes impossible for me to keep track of what is what in the brand.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

I just feel like if you don't know what you're doing you could be tossing cards which would (for some reason) be worth hundreds. $275 a box is ultra premium territory

Sent from my iPhone using SportsCardForum

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joebobjingo's Items on eBay

I don't entirely get it either. I never thought that the Prizm would have ever gained this much steam. It was thought to be a poor-man's Refractor after Topps lost their NBA licensing. But, everyone loves chromium stock so I guess it was just a matter of time; we needed a Panini product to champion.

The Silver Prizm's are white hot right now, and deservedly so when you take into account that all those other colored parallels have sort of dumbed-down the product. So basically the Silver Prizm is new the Refractor. It doesn't hurt either that the last few drafts have produced players like Ben Simmons, KAT, and Giannis, real hobby boons. Personally I refuse to buy into these crazy Prizm wax prices, and would rather opt for the Excalibur Crusades instead, which are just as aesthetically pleasing, and at a fraction of the cost.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's essentially the bitcoin of basketball cards then. On other forums, it seems all anyone ever posts about is prizm

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's essentially the bitcoin of basketball cards then. On other forums, it seems all anyone ever posts about is prizm

What's really weird is if Topps Chrome had stayed around nobody would be talking about Prizm. It just shows you how much people in basketball really miss Topps and Upper Deck and don't like Panini influenced/inspired stuff as all the products in all the sports that are popular with Panini are basically knock offs of already popular brands.

BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @Varietyofcards See Weekendwarriorsportscards's Items on eBay

Yeah people gotta spend money and Prizm is the acceptable substitute for Topps Chrome. And it is indeed all about the rookie silver parallels.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Philadelphia 76ers Colorado Rockies
    See TheKollector89's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

People are after rcs and parallels, and prizms grade well because they are foil. Go to card shops and find older prizm years, normally the price is dropped because they sit on the shelf. I came across 2013-14 bball prizm hobby boxes at a shop for about half the price. Its all about investments is how i see it
    PC: Oakland Raiders, 76ers, Allen Iverson, Ken Griffey Jr, Barry Sanders, Sean Taylor, Randy Moss,
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Philadelphia 76ers Colorado Rockies
    See TheKollector89's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

And if i find packs of chrome anywhere I'll pick them up. Ive came across a 3 hobby pack box of chrome football at a few different walmarts for like $12 and have had nice pulls

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rocksaysits420's Items on eBay

the 2015-16 prizm had 14 colors
    Base
    Light Blue /199
    Purple /99
    Orange wave
    Silver
    Red /350
    Red, White, & Blue
    Ruby Wave /350