Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 38 123411 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The Official JAMEIS WINSTON Thread

I titled this "The Official JAMEIS WINSTON Thread" as I plan to update it now and then and figure both Winston fans and Winston-bashers, as well as the merely curious can add to it from time to time as well.

Note: The original post I created to start this thread is below the "------Original Thread Below This Line------" section, following all the statistical tables. However, for now, I will post some statistical updates as Jameis' 3rd season just ended and so that people who are new to this thread can see such stats first.

CLICK ON EACH BELOW STATISTICAL TABLE
    TO BLOW THE IMAGES UP SO YOU CAN READ THEM CLEARLY.

@1__NCAA and ROOK STATS_3.JPG

@2__FIRST 45 GAMES and MODERN QB COMPARISONS_2.JPG

@3__14 SUPER BOWL ERA QB COMPS.JPG

@4__FUTURE HOF QB COMPS.JPG

JAMEIS IS THE MOST STATISTICALLY ACCOMPLISHED QB OF HIS AGE IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL ... AND THAT'S A FACT WHETHER ANYONE IN THE MEDIA WANTS TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT OR NOT!

------------------------
    I'm just pumped after tonight's game ... I watched it with my son and it was exactly what I wanted to see as Jameis played near PERFECT football and the Bucs LOST a close one to preserve their high draft pick, which they need desperately as the defense is one of the worst in the league, the O-line is a joke and they have no running game to speak of.

Anyways, Jameis finished the game 27-35 but of those 8 incompletions, two were "clock-spikes (which should not count as an incompletion for any QB - obviously), four were blatant drops by his receivers on perfectly thrown balls and one was an incompletion to Mike Evans that both the MNF commentators should have been called a pass interference on the Falcons cornerback. So, in all reality Jameis was 27-28 and he was doing anything but dinking and dunking or checking-down, the kid was throwing lasers all over the field with about 5-6 extremely tight window throws and a couple deep balls sprinkled in. It was honestly one of the best QB performances I've seen this year and it had me and my son whooping it up all night, right up until we both started hoping the Bucs kicker would miss the game-tying, last-second field goal so the Bucs would lose and be in line for a top 5 pick ... which the kicker did!

After the game was over I started looking at Jameis' stats for his 8 healthy games this year, as it's exactly half a season worth of games and therefore a quality sample size, and below is how he compares this year, to none other than the GOAT (I consider Otto Graham the GOAT but I know most consider Brady the GOAT so I don't mind referring to him as such), Tom Brady.

Jameis Winston's 9 healthy games this year vs. Tom Brady's 15 games this year:

Jameis Winston:
    67.0% completion percentage / 311.4 passing yards per game / 2.0 passing TDs per game / .67 Interceptions per game / 108.2 passer rating

Tom Brady:
    67.5% completion percentage / 292.5 passing yards per game / 2.0 passing TDs per game / .53 Interceptions per game / 104.2 passer rating

I tweeted this out and had a great back and forth with a lot of folks as most people (thanks to the media always using negative Winston narratives) had no idea Jameis' numbers were elite this year ... even some media folks themselves expressed their appreciation for my info which was cool.

Also, for those who don't know:

Jameis now has more career passing yards before the age of 24 than any QB who has ever played in NFL history.

Jameis also is tied for #1 all-time for the most career TD passes before the age of 24 ... and if he throws just one against the Saints in the last game of the season, he will hold the record all by himself!

As someone who really loves Jameis Winston and not just someone who collects his cards, it sincerely bothers me when I see the media spin things to always paint a negative picture of his on-field accomplishments. I remember ESPN running a headline calling Jameis' play "disappointing" when he was playing with a badly injured THROWING shoulder while at the same time running a headline that called Matt Stafford "heroic" or some such thing for simply playing a game (which the Lions lost) with a gimpy ankle. I remember Mike Wilbon on Pardon the Interruption saying that Mariota was "ahead of Winston" at a time when Mariota was the #30th ranked QB in the entire NFL and had 10 TDs with 14 INTs while Jameis was ranked around #15 and had 14 TDs and just 8 INTs ... obviously Wilbon didn't do any real research and just glanced at the NFL standings, saw the Titans had the better record and decided to throw out that little dig at Jameis, but still ... it bugged me.

And believe me, it's not only Jameis that the media spins negative narratives about. I watched the Cowboys v Raiders game and Derek Carr outplayed Dak Prescott by a wide margin and then tried to score a diving TD to win the game at the very end ... and the ball squirted out. One TV talking head said that Carr was a fumbling machine and that he made an idiot play and Dak played better or whatever ... I mean, just absurd.

I know this forum is filled with serious and sincere fans of various players and I for one am sorry any of you have to listen to TV or radio talking heads spout off not just absurd narratives, but damaging narratives based on lazy research or no research at all. It's not right and at times I can't believe some of these folks actually get paid to talk about sports, when it's obvious they don't care enough to even watch the games or do some simple research.

I remember some talking heads laughing about the Dak Prescott auto-pen scandal and basically saying that only idiots invest in sports cards anyways so it's not a big deal if Dak is defrauding them. I mean, are you kidding me? Sports cards are like stocks and just as inside information and slander and libel can hurt a stock, so to can lazy and absurd talking heads hurt a player's sports card stock.

I'll get off my soap box now, but I just wanted to say that I can sympathize with all you player collectors as the media can be brutal and many times, they can be brutal and 100% wrong at the same time, which is a shame.

Anyways ... I look forward to adding posts to this thread from time to time as Jameis' career plays out ... and I wish all of you nothing but the best in collecting your favorite player(s) as well.

Have a great day all!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 01-03-2018 at 05:48 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Well, the media talking heads were in rare form today regarding Jameis. Most are praising him like crazy after his near-perfect game last night, with former NFL QB Tim Hassleback saying Jameis can do things on the field that no one else can do better (high praise indeed) and Hall of Fame tight end Shannon Sharpe saying Jameis has been successful despite his team's bad record, while also taking unprovoked shots at Mariota and Dak and stating that Winston is easily better than both.

However, on the flip side, Hall of Fame QB Steve Young went on a show and gave a weird interview. He was asked to compare Jameis and Mariota and he said that he wants to see Jameis try to do less (um, does he realize the Bucs have no running game to speak of and a bad O-line or does he not even watch the games?) and that he wants to see Mariota try to do more (um, does he realize that Mariota is having a horrible year and yet the Titans are winning because they ride that great running attack they have, or does he not even watch the games?) ... and then proceeded to say that both Mariota and Jameis have regressed ... though he did praise Jameis' last game and say he's back on track.

Okay, so ... let me get this straight ...

Mariota is putting up the WORST ever passing yards per game, average yards per pass attempt, TD %, INT % and passer rating season in his three year career ... okay, yes, that is definitely "REGRESSION".

Jameis on the other hand is putting up the BEST ever completion %, average yards per pass attempt, INT % and passer rating in his three year career, and if you take away the partial games he played (just one quarter in one and a half in another, both of which he hurt and then re-hurt his shoulder in and was taken out with injury) he is also having his best ever passing yards per game season in his three year career ... um, that is the exact definition of PROGRESSION!

I like Steve Young and definitely respect his playing career, but in the immortal words of Tom Berman, "Come on Man" ... it isn't that hard to actually do the job you're paid to do, watch games, study tape, research the stats and then make accurate and informed statements.

I can't think of another QB that was setting career bests in passer rating, completion percentage, average yards per attempt, INT % and passing yards per game ... all while playing nearly 30% of his games with a badly injured throwing shoulder and on a team with a bad o-Line and no running game to speak of ... who was said to be "regressing" ... that just cracks me up.

Oh wait, I spoke to soon ... I actually can think of another QB who happened to be setting career highs in completion percentage, INT % and passer rating ... yet his Buccaneers team went just 2-12 with him ... it was none other than Steve Young ... hahaha, you can't make this stuff up. Now, Young wasn't as "young" as Jameis, as he already 25 years old in his 2nd year and Jameis is still just 23 in his 3rd year, but Young was getting killed in the media and even in Tampa and that very offseason he was run out of town ... right to San Francisco where 6 years later he won an MVP, then another one 2 years later, along with a SuperBowl.

Steve Young, of all people, should know that playing on a Bucs team with no running game, a bad offensive line and an abysmal defense can make for a tough year ... but Steve Young, even at 25 years old, wasn't close to the QB Jameis was at 21 years old, let alone the QB he is now at 23.

But hey, Jameis is the new Allen Iverson, 2Pac, Mike Tyson, Kobe Bryant, etc ... the young star the media loves to hate ... and yet you listen to any of his post-game press conferences and he is nothing but pure class ... his 0-line can give up 6 sacks and he calls them "dominant", his coach can bumble through a game and he calls him a "genius", his receivers can bobble balls into the air that are intercepted and he says, "the picks were on me, my receivers do a great job", his defense can give up a TD right after he gave the Bucs the lead and he says, "I will trust my defense till the day I die" ... the young man is the epitome of a leader (as was 2Pac whether the media understood it or not) and looks as if he was created by God to be a superstar QB1 in the NFL ... and I love him for it ... even if the media doesn't.

Regardless, don't get it twisted, I don't love him so much that I wouldn't trade his cards or sell his cards and then buy the cards of another young QB who's future I believed in more ... I'm an investor not a collector ... but NO, to date there is not another young QB who's future I believe in more than Jameis' ... the only one that's even close is Wentz who I love, just love ( I referred to his as "white Jameis when he was a rookie" ... I also refer to Sam Darnold as "white Jameis" and I love Darnold as well), but Wentz is more than a year older, so Jameis already has like an 8,000 career passing yard and 50 career passing TD head-start on Carson which is a ton.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Tom Brady caught on video taunting Steelers fans:

I can only imagine if Jameis would have done that ... the media would have spent hours talking about how immature and arrogant he is ... media biases crack me up as they are sooooo transparent.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

"That's not good, that's as good as it gets" - Jon Gruden

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-TD-connection

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Another PERFECT result for a far-sighted Bucs fan this week as Jameis played lights-out (more than doubled Cam Newton's QBR and passer rating, while completing 78% for 367 yards) but the team managed to snatch a much needed defeat from the jaws of a meaningless victory thus moving them up to #5 in the draft order ... and if the Texans win next week against the lowly Colts, the Bucs will get the #4 pick in the draft which is needed as the team has holes everywhere (bad O-Line, horrible D-Line, horrible secondary) ... and might even make the Jon Gruden return more likely.

Also ... on the season, even with Jameis playing about half his games with an injured THROWING shoulder ... he now has a better completion percentage, more passing yards per game AND a higher passer rating than Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Cam Newton, Dak Prescott, Marcus Mariota (who has fallen apart this season), etc, which is great!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Cardinals Oklahoma City Thunder Kansas City Chiefs
    See wizardofoz82's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I know you are a Jameis Winston fan and you're invested but Winston isn't in the top tier of QBs in the league with Rodgers, Brady, and Wentz. Winston is putting up good passing numbers because has to throw the ball 32+ times a game. The one really great skill he has is limiting interceptions. He's getting hurt over and over because has a bad team around him. Even with a fast start that isn't the way to start a career or have a long one.

He's solidly in the second tier that includes guys like Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr (who has played half the year with a broken back in the toughest division in football), Marcus Mariota (who has also been carted off the field several times and played through injuries most of the year), and Russell Wilson (also hurt most of the year). It shows your bias to talk about how great Winston has been with an injured shoulder while disparaging the rest without noting they are all playing hurt too.

I hope Winston goes to a different team and actually has a good team around him at some point before he is so beaten up that he can't play at a high level anymore. I'd take him on the Chiefs in a heartbeat. That said I wouldn't expect him to be any better with the Chiefs than Alex Smith has been because they are very similar QBs.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Jets
    My traders on Flickr

He is not there yet. I think he will continue to develop and become a high level player.
    Check out my Collection!
    Hidden Content
    if the offer is right I will deal anything
    I am a collector of the New York JetsHidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I know you are a Jameis Winston fan and you're invested but Winston isn't in the top tier of QBs in the league with Rodgers, Brady, and Wentz.

Rodgers is considered by many to be the "best" QB who ever played the game and Brady is considered by almost everyone to be "the greatest QB to ever play the game" ... do I think a 23 year old Jameis is as good as either of them right this second? Of course not. However, at Jameis' age both those guys were sitting on the bench holding a clipboard and I have little doubt that when all is said and done Jameis' career numbers will top Brady's and absolutely obliterate Rodgers'.

As for Wentz, Jameis had a better rookie and 2nd year than Wentz had a rookie year, and yes Wentz was great this year until he got hurt, but the guy is a year older than Jameis and Jameis has a massive head-start on career yards and TDs and has also put up MVP "per game" numbers, albeit on a team with one the worst defenses in the entire NFL, a team that can't help but snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on a weekly basis.

Winston is putting up good passing numbers because has to throw the ball 32+ times a game.

So did/do Brady and Rodgers ... by the way, the more a QB throws the worse his passer rating and completion percentage generally get as the defenses key on the QB rather than the running game ... QBs with dynamic running games are the guys who have it easy.

The one really great skill he has is limiting interceptions. He's getting hurt over and over because has a bad team around him. Even with a fast start that isn't the way to start a career or have a long one.

Jameis NEVER missed a game in his life until this year ... and while he did suffer a bad injury to his throwing shoulder, one that probably should have shut him down for the final 12 games of the season, he missed just 3 games, played through the pain in many others and despite playing much of this year with a bad line, no running game and that damaged throwing shoulder, he has a higher completion percentage AND passer rating than Russell Wilson ... and is #1 in the entire NFL in passing yards per game in the healthy games he played. You are right though that Tampa needs to improve their offensive line as he gets sacked all the time and that O-Line is a disaster ... one commentator was saying that Jameis gets sacked around the same amount as David Carr did, though while that ruined Carr's mental state and career, Jameis seems to thrive under the pressure and duress and not let it effect him at all.

He's solidly in the second tier that includes guys like Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr (who has played half the year with a broken back in the toughest division in football), Marcus Mariota (who has also been carted off the field several times and played through injuries most of the year), and Russell Wilson (also hurt most of the year).

Marcus Mariota has been one of the 5 worst QBs in the entire NFL this year despite playing behind a very good O-Line and while being able to lean on a dominant running game which allows him to throw out of play-action constantly ... he's not even remotely on Cam Newton's level, let alone Jameis'.

Derek Carr ... I like Carr, always have ... he's getting killed in the media lately and has had a rough year but I still believe in his future ... I don't think he's in Jameis' class but I do believe in the kid.

Matt Ryan and Alex Smith ... meh.

I'd say that while Mariota belongs on a list with guys like Trevor Siemian and Joe Flacco, you forgot about Matt Stafford who is a fantastic QB that has been saddled with playing for a bad organization since being drafted ... he's in the 2nd tier as well imho.

It shows your bias to talk about how great Winston has been with an injured shoulder while disparaging the rest without noting they are all playing hurt too.

Biased? This is a Jameis thread ... regardless, who is this "all"? Matt Ryan has NOT been playing hurt, neither has Dak, Wilson or many other QBs ... Carr has and I do not disparage him and still believe in that young man ... as for Mariota, the guy had a little hammy issue which even the commentators said was no big deal and something QBs play through all the time ... Mariota took a game off but he has been GARBAGE ALL SEASON LONG, just absolute garbage ... it doesn't make me happy to say that as he seems like an awesome young man and someone everyone likes, but the facts are the facts.

I hope Winston goes to a different team and actually has a good team around him at some point before he is so beaten up that he can't play at a high level anymore.

I wouldn't mind that either as I don't trust Tampa's entire organization ... but ... I doubt it ever happens. Winston is insanely loyal and I wouldn't doubt if he plays 20 years in Tampa ... I just hope he doesn't get the Dan Marino treatment where his team says, "you're a superstar, you should be able to win with no running game or defense" ... as no QB in the history of the NFL has been able to "carry a team" to a ring and even the greatest QBs need a solid TEAM around them, which Jameis currently does not have.

I'd take him on the Chiefs in a heartbeat. That said I wouldn't expect him to be any better with the Chiefs than Alex Smith has been because they are very similar QBs.

Oh my ... um, Jameis and Alex Smith are NOTHING alike. Alex Smith has always been a mere game-manager, dink-n-dunk, check-down artist, who will play "efficient football" and who a coach will hand the ball to and say, "trust your running game and defense and just don't lose us this game" whereas Jameis has ALWAYS been, since he was like 13 years old, a gun-slinging, big-armed, make-every-throw QB that a coach hands the ball to and says, "Please, carry this team".

Mariota and Dak both compare to a young Alex Smith ... Jameis compares to a young Favre, Peyton Manning, Elway, etc.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

He is not there yet. I think he will continue to develop and become a high level player.

What do you mean by "not there yet"? I ask as right now, even though he has played much of this season with an injured THROWING shoulder, he has a higher completion percentage AND a higher passer rating on the season than MVP candidate Russell Wilson! He also has better numbers than the MVP favorite Tom Brady in the 9 healthy games he's played this year.

If by "not there yet" you mean he's not a prime and healthy Aaron Rodgers right now, at his current age of 23, sure, I'd agree with you ... but if you mean he's not a top 10 QB or putting up MVP per-game numbers and numbers that are superior to Russell Wilson's, even though he plays on a garbage team (unlike Wilson) with a bad O-line (like Wilson) and a horrible running game (like Wilson) and all while playing most of this season with a badly injured THROWING shoulder (unlike Wilson), I'd have to disagree entirely.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (145)
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Washington Redskins
    See HollaMV7's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Wins > stats. He won't be talked about with the other great QBs until he starts winning games. And that hasn't happened in a while.

Plus all his tantrums and moronic decisions aren't helping his cause.
    Hidden Content - use the drop down box at the top left to view all my other albums
    Brian Orakpo/Sean Taylor/Craig Kimbrel Super Collector - I collect Lucky 13 Football RCs (04-07 all versions). Also like current Braves (Acuna/Albies/Dansby/Soroka/Strider/Riley/Harris/Fried, etc.), Mike Trout, Juan Soto, Roger Federer.

Page 1 of 38 123411 ... LastLast