Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

The Spirit of the Season - New article

Hey guys,

Here's my latest article, I'd really like to get people's thoughts on it. It's about initiatives like Secret Santa and Pay it Forward events...

https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...0#post14547850

Thanks for the looks and comments.

Karine

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ive felt the same on stuff like Secret Santa. I feel when it used to happen here, I would put in a little extra ... I remember texting local trader buddies I see monthly to see if they had that perfect card without breaking the bank. When the big S&T comes along, you can see who actually thought of this as a holiday giving event, and who thought they could exploit the BV rules here and give garbage that "Books for 50", or whatever it is.

You do see it with the Pay It Forward as well. Like you said, we do have those "Roman Cechmanek" or "Steve Shields" jersey cards that sure do meet the required "BV" allocated for the program, right after the guy claims a current Auto Rookie or mid tier Young Gun .... but you have to know there are just some people like this in the hobby.

I think the problem in this is what the problem usually is .... the joke of a thing called Beckett Value. Until all people use the same method of determining value of cards, there will also be people exploiting the system. These are also the people who use BVs when they know their card is over-valued in the Beckett .... and on the other hand us SV when they know their card is under-valued in the Beckett. I for one, and a SV trader. Does it make sense for me to trade a 100BV card for 100BV card, when one sells for $60 and the other for $30? Whenever a trader insists we make a BV trade, I simply do my own BV -> SV conversion on the trade and see if it makes sense on my end.

No matter what it is ..... your hobby, your job, your current relationship ..... there will always be one party that gives more ..... and there will be the ones who will knowingly just do the bare minimum to scrape by
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Thanks for the reply, glad i'm not the only one who feels this way. I don't even have Beckett anymore as the values mean nothing to me...I tend to just look on boards, on Facebook and on eBay to assess the real value of my cards just makes more sense.