Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The hobby is doomed...

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

In the early 90s packs of Pro Set, Score, OPC (etc) could be had for a buck or two. Maybe less if they were on sale.

Most consumer goods cost significantly more today than they did in the early 90s.

I do not think kids, at the same rate, are nearly as interested in sports cards today as they were when I was a kid..... but a pack of UD Series 1 costing $3 has nothing to do with it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jogesc2's Items on eBay

[QUOTE=RGM81;14550676]

Back in 90-91 when it came out, packs of Upper Deck were $2.50 at the local store. QUOTE]

I swear 90/91 UD was $1.00 a pack and that was a big deal back then as OPC was $0.45 a pack or something at the time.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

[QUOTE=jogesc2;14550786]

Back in 90-91 when it came out, packs of Upper Deck were $2.50 at the local store. QUOTE]

I swear 90/91 UD was $1.00 a pack and that was a big deal back then as OPC was $0.45 a pack or something at the time.

I grew up in a very small town where they could pretty much charge whatever they wanted at the local convenience store. LOL
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

If we look at prices following inflation, it would be possible to have a product at around 1$/pack, but I think many things changed since the early 90s. NHL license is more expensive, and rights for photos must cost a ton of money too.

UD tried the Collectors Choice brand again around 2008, it was an interesting product, but it wasn't a huge commercial success.

I think sets like Timmies and Canadian Tire are the best stuff they can do to try to bring in kids. I love Parkhurst this year too.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I am not arguing that $1/pack products will make UD money in the short-term, but I firmly believe that having these products in retail locations is the ONLY chance this hobby has of hanging on in the long term.
    The problem, in my mind, is that UD is not concerned with the long term success of the hobby. They are looking to cash in immediately with high-dollar exclusive products and $20-$30 retail boxes of questionable value.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Full of ups and downs.

Kinda on the down right now, it will work its way up with a stronger rookie crop
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

A company that has been producing sports trading cards since 1989 and has multiple licenses across multiple brands of sports and entertainment isn't interested in remaining in business for the long term. OK, then.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My boy is 14. There are plenty of other kids in his school that collect and trade cards. One of the teachers even organizes trade events for some of the teachers and kids. Much of what they trade/collect is Tim Hortons, and Canadian Tire, but at least they are still engaged and involved in the hobby. Both his sisters even like going through his doubles and pulling out their favorite teams and players. Some of them kids are diehards, and whether packs are $1.99 or $3.99, mom or dad give them $20 and they can get a few packs with that which keeps them quite happy. I remember as a kid blowing my allowance on just a few packs as well. The hobby is nowhere near what it was 20 or 30 years ago, but things do change and I do not forecast the doom for this industry like some others.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

A company that has been producing sports trading cards since 1989 and has multiple licenses across multiple brands of sports and entertainment isn't interested in remaining in business for the long term. OK, then.

From what I understand UD is in financial straits. Knowing that and looking at some of the choices they make (like the one we're discussing), yes it would lead one to believe that they are only concerned with the short term at this point.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

All UD cares about is money. Like every business does. You can't get a box of cards under 100$ now. Boxes with less packs, less autos, almost every product! Spx, Black Diamond Sp authentic, Ice. Have the the prices drop? Nope! And the boxes get ™™™™ier every year it seems!
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast