Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Mathew Barzal - super rookie or superstar?

I am not sure if a similar topic has been started already, but I wanted to gauge everyone's interest as to what you think of this kid.
    I think it is very safe to say he is having a fantastic rookie year, and will be in contention for the Calder when the season is over. But do you think he will settle down into a solid player, or will he be one of the next true superstars of the league?
    Also, does anyone think he may be a one year wonder?

Watching him play, he looks good. Very good. Great skill, has a strong hockey sense. Him being a 2nd line C helps as Tavares & Co. typically face the top D pair, but I personally think he can be an every season superstar, and continue to put up great numbers while playing fantastic night in and night out.

Thoughts?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Superstar? No chance IMO..... but I use that words to describe MAYBE 10 players in this league.

If he goes on to be as good as Claude Giroux (for example) that's an exceptionally good NHLer, who is not a superstar.

Can he last in the league for 15 years, and be a good player for most of that? Yes, I think he can.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Superstar? No chance IMO..... but I use that words to describe MAYBE 10 players in this league.

If he goes on to be as good as Claude Giroux (for example) that's an exceptionally good NHLer, who is not a superstar.

Can he last in the league for 15 years, and be a good player for most of that? Yes, I think he can.

I agree. In this day and age, the term "superstar" is thrown around too often.

To me, a "superstar" is a player who averages a point per game or higher. Very few current players have accomplished this recently, so they deserve the "superstar" designation.

The list includes:

Joe Thornton
    Steven Stamkos
    Alexander Ovechkin
    Sidney Crosby
    Patrick Kane
    Jaromir Jagr
    Evgeni Malkin

Despite the small sample size, Connor McDavid (1.15 points per game) makes the list too and he projects to be a superstar for years to come. Health plays a factor of course.

As for goalies, save percentage is a big stat for me, as well as wins. If a current goalie can manage 380 wins or more, with a save percentage of .915 or higher, I call them a superstar.

If a player/goalie is just under these numbers, I call them stars. As you can see, I have high standards.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The real superstars are the ones who can keep on ringing up league leading points even after the other teams have figured out that they need extra attention.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

The real superstars are the ones who can keep on ringing up league leading points even after the other teams have figured out that they need extra attention.

I think this applies to every player on my list

SCF Rewards
    Country

Superstar - No. You cant put him up there with names like Crosby / Ovechkin / Stamkos / Tavares / P. Kane / Malkin / McDavid / Matthews

Super Rookie - Sure. Hes the leading points guy for rookies. It helps opposing teams have to deal with the Tavares line 1st, but that shouldnt be held against him.

Where he will settle really depends on if you mean in the hobby, or in the NHL.

As an NHL player, it looks like he will be a solid NHLer for a long time. Do I think hes in the running to lead the League in points anytime soon, probably not.

In the Hobby, I would say he has even less chance of success, other than this year. He is high right now, and will continue to be as long as he keeps his pace. Dont plan on buying this kid now, and selling him later for a profit though. Unless the Islanders are contending for the Cup, his cards will never reach this peak again. Just look at Tavares, hes a superstar, but until hes competing for the Cup ( or going to a more popular team in the hobby ) his rookie cards will be quite low for his numbers
    Last edited by canucksfan007; 01-16-2018 at 06:16 PM.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Superstar - No. You cant put him up there with names like Crosby / Ovechkin / Stamkos / Tavares / P. Kane / Malkin / McDavid / Matthews

Super Rookie - Sure. Hes the leading points guy for rookies. It helps opposing teams have to deal with the Tavares line 1st, but that shouldnt be held against him.

Where he will settle really depends on if you mean in the hobby, or in the NHL.

As an NHL player, it looks like he will be a solid NHLer for a long time. Do I think hes in the running to lead the League in points anytime soon, probably not.

In the Hobby, I would say he has even less chance of success, other than this year. He is high right now, and will continue to be as long as he keeps his pace. Dont plan on buying this kid now, and selling him later for a profit though. Unless the Islanders are contending for the Cup, his cards will never reach this peak again. Just look at Tavares, hes a superstar, but until hes competing for the Cup ( or going to a more popular team in the hobby ) his rookie cards will be quite low for his numbers

This is an excellent point. Tavares should, by all accounts, be a highly collectable player however he is not. The fact that he plays for a perennial losing team, and one that does not have a huge fan base certainly hurts his value in terms of collectibility. Barzal is nowhere near the player that Tavares is (and probably never will be). I would not bank on this guy getting a lot of love in the hobby.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.