Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Cavs and Thunder frustrating this season

As a fan, this season has been far more frustrating than the last two. These teams are up and down like yo-yos. Talent is still there, but the coaching is mediocre. Were this the Spurs, Warriors, or Celtics, managed by the likes of a Kerr, Popovich, or Stevens, I think we'd see more consistency. I'd even take Dwane Casey over Ty Lue and Billy Donovan. His teams are always disciplined and consistent.

Lue's lineups are awful. Regardless of match-ups, he sticks to the same starting five, and his substitution/player management tactics are frequently head-scratching. I'm on a Cavs forum with die-hard fans, and most of us all agree on these same basic points: LeBron often plays entire third quarters rendering him exhausted by the fourth, Love misses crucial time in the fourth when his ability to space the floor is needed, and Lue is playing Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith too many minutes in general. I don't see them getting past Toronto or Boston this year unless either Lue goes and is replaced by a better head coach, and/or they make some moves to address the defense and get rid of dead weights Thompson and Smith.

Cavs' defense is also inexcusable. They can look good for stretches, but then revert to laziness. I'm including my favorites, Love and LeBron, in that. There are times where they don't even try, even though they are capable and show flashes when there's effort. They are ranked 29th in the league in defensive efficiency, last I checked. No team in the last 20 years has even made the playoffs with a ranking that low, let alone the Finals. It's unacceptable.

As for the Thunder, there were concerns about how the big three would work together, and I also had those concerns, and it looks like they were well-founded. This team is still searching for a system. Donovan has no idea what to do. I've been less than impressed with him as head coach. Scott Brooks had an efficient system and helped develop Durant, Westbrook, and Harden as young players. Donovan still can't get anything going. He lets Westbrook still do too much hero ball (hate saying this as I love Westbrook, but his knuckle-ball and low percentage three-pointers can be painful to watch when he chucks them up). There's seldom flow and rhythm in their sets.

At least last season, Westbrook got an MVP, and the Cavs made the Finals. It wasn't like the glorious 2015-16 season when both of those teams pushed the 70 win Warriors to their limits, and one emerged victorious, but at least it was still exciting. This season, though, my teams and players look irrelevant. The Cavs had that nice stretch where they had two big win streaks, but that was with a different lineup, and admittedly against lesser competition. Now that it's getting tougher, they don't even have that going anymore.

Just a frustrating season for me as a fan. It's hard to watch these teams now. :/

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm still amazed that you have people online praising Lebron James left and right by calling him the greatest and even suggesting he's the best player currently in any sport. Hint he's not. All you have to do is look at this team and season to see that he's not. Yeah the Cavs could have a better coach but they aren't going to be able to improve that defense and they aren't going to be able to make Lebron James a finisher instead of a follower. Lebron is much better in the Pippen position than he is when he tries to be the Jordan on the team. A great leader would be able to whip his team into shape when needed but he can't. Maybe instead of getting involved in politics in the off season the dude should have practiced and improved his game and team instead of running his mouth like people other than ESPN or CNN give a squat.

I'd also like to say that I always thought Irving was an overrated player but that trade to the Celtics has shown me that I was wrong on that one. Lebron must feel real sorry every night that he drove Irving away because the Cavs could really use him this season. Would be nice to see the Celtics squash the Cavs in the playoffs but I still wouldn't count the Cavs out yet especially since the NBA wants Lebron in the NBA Finals every year for a ratings boost.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

While I think they would be tops with the likes of a Kerr or Popovich as head coach to keep everyone in line, I understand some of your criticism of LeBron. His defense is totally lazy this season. He will still get timely blocks, but as far as covering and rotating, he is giving very little effort on either the perimeter or the post. He also has been making poor decisions on offense in crunch time, cranking up the turnovers and taking some ill-advised iso shots. Some of that can probably be placed on Lue's minute management and fatigue, but even so, he's never had that killer instinct MJ had. He doesn't make as many logical tactical choices under pressure. Never has.

Irving was the better crunch time player. I'd say that facet of his game is what the Cavs are missing the most. He's lucked out to be in Stevens' defensive system in Boston, though. Curious to see how well he ends up leading the team. It's one thing to be a big scorer and make big shots, but another to be a strong leader. They look good so far, but how will his teammates respond to him when it gets rougher down the stretch? His hero, Kobe, took years to mature enough into that role. Kyrie has a similarly obnoxious personality, so it will be interesting to see how that works. Stevens is a no-nonsense guy, though, like Phil, so if Kyrie pulls any antics, well...guess we'll see how things go in the playoffs and beyond.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't think his defense is down because he's lazy I think it is down because he's slowing down/aging. A lot of his fans seem to think the guy is as good as ever but I honestly think the wear and tear of playing in the NBA Finals so many times has basically burned the guy out physically. The NBA playoffs are dreadfully long and he's been in a lot of long series so that along with all the extra stuff like the Olympics means he has played a ton more basketball than say a guy who has never made the playoffs or just made the playoffs and was bounced in the first round. That guy would just be fresher and since defense is something is totally not valued in the NBA or with fans because it isn't "flashy" or headline grabbing I think he decides to tone it down on D while keeping his stats generally great on offense so it doesn't look like he is really declining.