Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Jimmy garoppolo ???????????????????

I don't get the JIMMY G love in the hobby ... can someone explain it to me?

I'm also concerned that Jimmy G cards are being shilled to high heaven on eBay and that his "values" are being spiked, which could really hurt a lot of collectors in the future when try to sell in legitimate auctions and take a beating ... which is no laughing matter. If cards were treated like stocks, which they should be, I think a whole lot of people would be getting busted by the FBI ... I know "Operation Bullpen" resulted in a lot of autograph forgers being jailed, but price-fixing and shilling and all that is also hurting the hobby at present!

I
    f you guys want to see a Jimmy G card that APPEARS TO BE SHILLING IN ACTION you may want to look at THIS: https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/362208033191?item=362208033191&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047 675.l2565

A
    Jimmy G Treasures BGS 9 5/5 RPA just sold recently for $2,500 ... but this card which is twice as easy to find is at almost $6,000? Really?

I mean compare the above Garoppolo card, which is a BGS 9.5 and one of 10 copies with 30 hours left in the auction ... it's at almost $6,000 and has 49 bids with just 17 bidders ... while the below Mariota (who has done a whole lot more in his career than Garoppolo has AND is 2 years younger) is a PSA 10 and has only 8 copies ... and it ends in like 6 hours and is at just $841 with only 18 bids for 12 different bidders ... on top of that it's a guarantee it's not being shilled as the highest bidder also has the second highest bid ...

Mariota NON-SHILLED card: https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/382339687240?item=382339687240&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047 675.l2565

I also don't get the Jimmy G love AT ALL ... and have a feeling that a lot of auctions for his cards are getting shilled to death ... look at this one: https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/282800493517?item=282800493517&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047 675.l2565

The guy has done nothing yet, is well behind the curve when it comes to career stats thanks to sitting on the bench since being drafted, plays on a team that hasn't been good since Steve Young was playing, and will turn TWENTY-SEVEN next year ... I just don't get it at all.

I mean, if the guy can average 4,000 yards a year and 27.5 TD's next year through his age 32 season, he will only have a whopping 26,250 passing yards and 177 TD passes. Matt Ryan is 32 years old right now and has almost 42,000 passing yards and 260 TD passes. And, other young QBs if they put up the same averages between next year and their 32 year old year would have approximate career numbers that blow Jimmy G's out of the water, such as:

Russell Wilson: 34,000 yards and 240 TDs
    Derek Carr: 38,000 yards and 270 TDs
    Jameis Winston: 48,000 yards and 320 TDs
    Jared Goff: 37,000 yards and 250 TDs
    Carson Wentz: 35,000 yards and 240 TDs

The common reply is, "he went 5-0 last year", but, so what? He beat the Bears with Trubisky, the Texans with TJ Yates, the Jaguars in a game their defense took off as they just found out they had made the playoffs, the Rams JV squad and the Titans. The Titans was a legit victory against a decent team and the Jaguars at least started their usual starting QB but the other three wins were against garbage ... and in those 5 games Jimmy Go threw just 6 TDs and a whopping 5 picks ... I mean, what in the world are people so excited about ... or ... are people actually taking a wait and see approach and his cards are just being shilled to death? I'm curious to know.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jimmy G is garbage or anything of the sort. The guy is a legit QB and a true gunslinger. He's not a gimmicky game-manager or a mere system QB imho and I like watching him play ... but his age bothers me, the lack of career stats bothers me, and his overall resume bothers me. I'm also not sure I trust the 49'ers as an organization ... they used to be one of the best but ever since the ownership changed hands, they haven't been the same. I do think John Lynch knows what he's doing though, and I trust the offensive genius of Kyle Shanahan as anyone who can get a limited QB like Matt Ryan an MVP is awesome in my book ... but I don't know if the 49'ers can get on the Rams or Seahawks level ... so ... the jury's out for now as far as I'm concerned.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

SCF Rewards
    Country

One I'm not going to say anything bad about him until I move all my cards of Jimmy G but a quick answer to your question is that he plays for the 49ers and they play in San Francisco. That is one of the richest areas in the US so they can pay tons of money for cards that would be out of reach for normal Americans.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

One I'm not going to say anything bad about him until I move all my cards of Jimmy G

You're a smart man!

but a quick answer to your question is that he plays for the 49ers and they play in San Francisco. That is one of the richest areas in the US so they can pay tons of money for cards that would be out of reach for normal Americans.

That's a good point ... maybe he's getting some of the Asian-basketball-investor money thrown at him too ... or some rich guy like Vegas Dave is investing in him as Dave did with Carr? If it's not shilling, something has got to be going on imo ...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The Jimmy G auction mentioned above just ended ... and it went for $7,100! And, while it may have been shilled early on, I don't think the winner minds the price! I mean ... I don't even know what to say to that.

The Mariota card mentioned above which is simply a rarer and better card, ended last night and went for $1,046.55.

All I can say to these "new money" investors is WELCOME TO THE PARTY!

I know a lot of people can't stand Vegas Dave and may not even like Bill Lee and some of the other big-time "sports card investors" but I love em both and think they're great for the hobby!

The way I see it, there is no reason that sports cards, especially the holy grail type cards of the top players, cannot be the new masterpiece paintings. There was a time when cars were not "collectible" ... a time when graffiti was worthless ... a time when shoes were only for wearing on one's feet ... I love to see rare items, of any kind, become investment pieces that can net wise investors who were "early to invest" a great return ... it makes life more fun!

So, while I am SHOCKED at the price that Garoppolo card brought ... I am thrilled for the seller and happy for the buyer if he or she is happy ...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Plus I think the football card market is starved for a new star. A lot of the guys that people have latched onto have disappointed this season so that has given an opening for a guy like Jimmy to take off.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Plus I think the football card market is starved for a new star. A lot of the guys that people have latched onto have disappointed this season so that has given an opening for a guy like Jimmy to take off.

I could see that but the coin being thrown at his cards seems to point to Vegas-Dave types speculating rather than the usual collectors picking up the hot new QB ... either way, it's cool for the hobby!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 14smoke2x's Items on eBay

Look at the prices of his SP Authentic /999. I bought one for $13 and just sold it for $550 so I'm not complaining about it. I think his cards are overvalued for now, but he will be something special.

General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Air Force
    Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators Memphis Grizzlies
    See danielsteinmann11's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

A lot of it has to do with him being behind Brady, Mallett sold well for a while to. Then he went to SF who has a loyal fan base. I wouldn't say they haven't been good since Young though lol in 11 they made it to the conf. championship in 12 they made it to the SB, and in 13 they made it to the conf. championship, true they are not as dominating as they once were but they were still a solid team. But having lived in Cali I can tell you they spend money on their teams out there, I sold tons of Niners and Raiders cards out there, even was selling base cards to to Lester Hayes lol.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Look at the prices of his SP Authentic /999. I bought one for $13 and just sold it for $550 so I'm not complaining about it. I think his cards are overvalued for now, but he will be something special.

Good on you; now that's a solid R.O.I.!!!!!

A lot of it has to do with him being behind Brady, Mallett sold well for a while to. Then he went to SF who has a loyal fan base. I wouldn't say they haven't been good since Young though lol in 11 they made it to the conf. championship in 12 they made it to the SB, and in 13 they made it to the conf. championship, true they are not as dominating as they once were but they were still a solid team. But having lived in Cali I can tell you they spend money on their teams out there, I sold tons of Niners and Raiders cards out there, even was selling base cards to to Lester Hayes lol.

I get the Californians have funds and that Niners and Raiders sell good and all, but that alone just doesn't seem to explain these current prices ... I really think a new "Vegas Dave" type or more than one may be buying big ... in fact, doesn't Bill Lee have the Garoppolo Contenders Super Bowl Ticket? Maybe he's got dudes buying for him? Regardless, I hope everyone can make a ton of money in the card investment game, so more power to them!

General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Air Force
    Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators Memphis Grizzlies
    See danielsteinmann11's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

I would never buy from Vegas Dave after the stunt he pulled during a show can't remember if it was the nationals or where but after that nope don't trust the dude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast