Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See thecardboxyvr's Items on eBay

Does anyone miss the look of Upper Deck sets?

I was considering getting back into basketball cards, but I really don't like the look of Panini sets. I wish Upper Deck still had the NBA license.

Anyone else feel the same?

I miss the look and aesthetics of Upper Deck. I would even be willing to get into collegiate sets by Upper Deck, but they don't even have that anymore.

I used to collect basketball cards in the 90s and 00s. Then stopped for a while. Then got into hockey cards for a bit because basketball cards were hard to find in Canada.

But I absolutely love the look of the Upper Deck hockey sets, from SPx, Trilogy, The Cup. And I saw a new set called splendor which looks gorgeous.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

I never really was into most of their designs, tbh. I thought the acetate and design of Slam in 2000-01 was great, and there were a few other sets like Chronology and Black that were slick -- but for the most part, I thought they usually had a rather generic, then-"futuristic," computerized and mechanical look. Most of the best designed sets of the 90s and 2000s were by Fleer, IMO.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah I guess it's up to each person's preference.

I think I just preferred the clean lines and designs of UD, which I admit is mechanical and can be kind of generic. Yeah but Panini designs to me are kind of plain, for me at least. Their higher end stuff is nice though.

I also miss the 90s like you pointed out with Fleer, Flair, Metal, anyone remember Z-Force and E-X2000. Those were very nice. I really liked the Fleer Retro sets when they were released for a while.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Yeah I don't care much for Panini's, either. Immaculate and Prizm look nice most years, but other than those sets, I can't think of any others that really stand out.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was considering getting back into basketball cards, but I really don't like the look of Panini sets. I wish Upper Deck still had the NBA license.

Anyone else feel the same?

I miss the look and aesthetics of Upper Deck. I would even be willing to get into collegiate sets by Upper Deck, but they don't even have that anymore.

Yes Yes Yes

I've been preaching this for years ever since UD lost their license. Upper Deck made the best looking cards hands down. They always looked expensive and cool while Panini especially looks super cheap and boring. Even going back through my older stuff I've noticed how much better Fleer looked than the garbage now. Now Fleer wasn't too good with high end stuff and neither was Topps but I'd take that over sets that look generic and cheap. I'm not even a fan of Upper Deck but they just have a look and style I prefer over the other companies and have for years. Upper Deck just seemed to higher the best or spend the most time on design while other companies really don't care and in a world where so many cards are produced it only makes sense to have something that looks good over something that looks like garbage.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah the bad design of Panini is part of the reason I'm not super keen on getting back into basketball cards.