Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Autograph Authentication

I recently went to TwinsFest and got some autographs. Is there any point to get autographs authenticated if you don’t plan to sell them? If so what would be the best way to go about it? Thanks

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jimmyz86's Items on eBay

I don't see the point if you got them in person and aren't planning on selling them. If you want to for some reason, I'd suggest going thru JSA or PSA DNA. Both will do local events at memorabilia shops, which is the easier route if you have a shop near by. You can also send your items in, but you have to pay the shipping cost, too.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You're not selling, you saw it in person... Unless there is a flaw of some kind, I wouldn't.

The only time I got an IP auto for my PC authenticated is when Jack Clark had to stop and restart because his pen quit working mid signature.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Houston Astros Dallas Cowboys

Cards that have been autographed by HOF players, mostly. Other than HOF -- sometimes.

I use PSA DNA. Authenticated and graded. When the cards come back in their holders, they look great. Prevents them from getting damaged, etc. They can be stored, displayed, handled pretty much without worry. Providing that the company that does the authentication is reputable -- what you have that is autographed is definitely authentic.
    Wouldn't be able to tell you what authentication company is better than another, really.

As far as selling them...
    What are they REALLY worth at any given time? The market for them isn't NYSE or NASDAQ.
    I think what any item is really worth is when a person standing in front of you with cash in hand says, "I'll give you this much for what you've got". Until then, monetary value seems pretty arbitrary. I say this only because of the many possible cards (number of player seasons times card companies putting out cards; individual number of those cards) and variety of autographs on them (rookie signed versus older, retired signature and in between).
    Then there is overall inventory. Again, not like looking at an annual report and seeing that there is 1 billion shares issued and outstanding for the exact same class of company stock. Shareholder equity divided by those shares gives you a definite, rock bottom value at a given point in time for 1 of those.

Then there is the value they have as far as the hobby -- which is different for everyone. It can be fun, and frustrating. Definitely.

Good luck to you!