Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP graphing MLB games

SCF Rewards
    Country

IP graphing MLB games

Hi all would like to see if anyone can give my 11 yr old son and i some before game IP graphing tips for a MLB game Dodgers vs Mets @ NY we will be heading to in June. We've only done TTM but we did want to try and get to the field early for BP and stuff and try to get some autos. 1st time doing this so i had some questions:
    1) About how early should we arrive at the stadium? 1-2 hrs prior?
    2) What area would be best to graph? I am assuming between 3rd and left/1st and right?
    3) Any other tips or tricks to help us get some autos?

I know I know what you are thinking…why give away all the info because we will just be the competition, but I would like to say we are coming all the way from Hawaii and since we don't have any pro teams out there, graphing opportunities are super rare. Its only one game and it would be greatly appreciated for some genuine help.
    Thanks

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jimmyz86's Items on eBay

1) Figure out when the gates open (varies depending on weekday vs. weekend). Make sure you're in line before then so you can get in quickly. You'll only have about 30 minutes of BP, so you won't want to mess around.

2) Haven't ever graphed Citi Field, but if it's like the others, as close to the outfield ends of the dugouts as possible. Players will typically walk down the line and sign as they're working their way back to the clubhouse.

3) Be prepared. Have your item and pen ready to go so you're not fumbling around when Clayton Kershaw walks by!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Agree 100 percent with OC22 we missed a machado at the yard last year i got stone hands and dropped everything lol

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New York Yankees Columbus Blue Jackets Minnesota Golden Gophers

1. If you're just trying to get autographs in the stadium, get there when the gates open. Some people go early and try to get players on their way into the stadium. I'm not sure if you can do it there or when that would be but I'd guess much earlier. My guess is that it will not work well in New York but I know in some minor league stadiums there's a door that all of the players go through to get in. In NY they probably park directly in a secure area you aren't allowed in.

2. If the stadium will let you, go as close to the dugout for the team you want as possible. If possible, that area directly to the home plate side of each dugout where you are in the front row but still really close to the dugout. That's a few feet from where player walk by. The outfield side could work too but there's a lot of room for cameras there so you won't be too close to the part players use. If you can get the first row or two on the home plate side, go there. If not, go farther down the line but in the first row. Players are more likely to go down the line than go many rows back, mainly because it's hard to get stuff passed up to them. Maybe if you have a kid people will help you out once they get theirs signed but I wouldn't count on it.

3. You have a kid. Players like signing for kids. Have him ask for players to sign ("Mr. ___ could you please sign my card?"). Make sure you help him out though. When the player gets there, he should have a sharpie/pen and a card/ball ready to go. Let him bring over the players and you take care of having stuff ready and getting it protected once it's signed.

If you have a good personal way of getting a particular player's attention, do that. I saw a few guys get Morneau to sign by bringing a huge Canadian flag. He signed for them and only them. If you have a hat of the high school/college a player went to (especially if you went there), they're more likely to sign. I once got a guy who went to my high school to sign by wearing the hat of our school. I actually didn't need to get his attention, he came over to me and said "hey I went there". I wouldn't suggest going out of your way to buy stuff unless you really want a particular guy to sign and have the money to drop on a hat you'll wear once but if you have it, bring it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey thanks for the tips my friends! Yes i think i will check out what time specifically our game starts and call Citi field to find out what time the gates open. DUUUH!!! I should have thought of the area between the dugout and home plate as well.
    Yes i will have multiple sharpies in my pocket in case and my boy will graph and i will be his support (passing pens or cards and taking any that got signed and putting them in sleeve) Almost like those surgeon's assistant or bar back! LOL. Pen cap should be off and ready to sign. These autos will be for him and him only so i want him to do the polite asking as well. thanks a bunch

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New York Yankees Columbus Blue Jackets Minnesota Golden Gophers

"Monday-Friday Games: The Jackie Robinson Rotunda, Hodges Entrance and ticket windows will open 2 hours prior to each game so that fans may arrive early to watch infield and batting practice. All other gates will open 1 1/2 hours prior to the start of the game.Saturday & Sunday Games: The Rotunda gate will open 2 1/2 hours prior to weekend game start times for Full & Half Season Ticket Holders only. All other gates will open 2 hours prior to first pitch.
    Opening times may vary for doubleheaders, concerts and special game dates."

https://www.mlb.com/mets/ballpark/in...uide#g-content

I'd count on 2 hours early and go in the rotunda. I know some parks will only allow you in the outfield seats for some time. Not sure if that is the case here but even so, rotunda seems like your best bet because it is right behind home plate. If they don't let you down right away, wait as close as you can get.

SCF Rewards
    Country

thanks yankeesfan1324, yes I looked up Citi field right after going through the replies and found out the info needed. We have weekday tickets which is good so we don't have to get there as early as weekend games. possibly since it is weekday maybe less crowds? I dunno. Thanks for getting my back though! Appreciated! MAHALO

SCF Rewards
    Country

Is Citi even graphable anymore? Don't they have the netting covering all areas now?
    Owner of 244 unique Baseball HOFer Autographs

Collecting signed sets: 14, 15, 16, 18, 19 Topps Heritage Minors

SCF Rewards
    Country

Is Citi even graphable anymore? Don't they have the netting covering all areas now?

Holy crap good point automaster! I heard all MLB fields now have the netting extending down the infield line. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken. Well then I guess we only try to graph down the outfield line??

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jimmyz86's Items on eBay

You should be fine down the outfield line. The netting typically only extends to the end of the dugout, so you'll be good beyond the camera bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast