Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Card show question

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Card show question

I recently attended a card show with my nephew and became very aggravated quickly. It has been years since i attended one but at several booths at the 10,25,50 cent boxes they had guys sitting in chairs sifting through the boxes blocking anybody else from looking through them. I ask the table owner if i could see the 25 cent box for my nephew he said yes as soon as he was done referring to the guy in the chair blocking the product who has been there at least an hour and a half . The next table was the same until i reached over and grabbed the box so we could go though it which was unattended but blocked by another guy going through the50 centers . The next thing i noticed was several sellers and dealers allowing certain buyers to weigh the packs i understand why they did this looking for relics and so on. I was just floored by the manners of some of these people has the hobby changed this much. Like i stated i have attended probably 200-300 shows but none in the last few years. It just seemed i would have been better off going to wal mart or target and picking up a few boxes. Was it up to the booth seller to make things fair they seemed to lose a lot of business and the complaints i heard were unreal from the customers pertaining to the guys being allowed to sift through the bargain boxes for hours on end. I just remember common courtesy even when coming to the bargain bins asking one another what we were looking for and helping one another out. Just amazed me and my nephew. Is this normal for shows anymore or was this just a mismanaged show that allowed not so good sellers in just curious.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

when I do shows, I have had my most success in having boxes and allowing people dive in. Most of the people are quite considerate of others trying to get in and look. I have had some older people sit in chairs, but I try to get them on the side of the table

However, if there were dealers that were allowing weighing packs - this is something that probably should be reported to show management. I would love to know how @FrankToronto or other show promoters would handle this.

SCF Rewards
    Country

when I do shows, I have had my most success in having boxes and allowing people dive in. Most of the people are quite considerate of others trying to get in and look. I have had some older people sit in chairs, but I try to get them on the side of the table

However, if there were dealers that were allowing weighing packs - this is something that probably should be reported to show management. I would love to know how @FrankToronto or other show promoters would handle this.

the guys in the chairs were between 18 - 25 it was just disappointing for my nephew to see this he saved up for two months and had rolls of dimes and quarters lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See frankrock's Items on eBay

At the Toronto Card Show and the Newmarket Card & Comics Show, for years we've placed emphasis on having the highest standard of vendors setup at the show as opposed to selling tables. That makes things a lot easier. None of our vendors would allow weighing packs. Its also such a frowned upon act that fellow collectors at the show would be all over it, would report it, and action would be taken on the buyer.

As for sitting down on a chair to sift through boxes is concerned, we have had older customers do this. First and foremost, we make accessibility at our shows a priority so their chair is not taking up aisle space. I can picture the times in my head and its usually a collector that is well known and as I've evaluated the situation I can see that the surrounding area is kept in mind and that they are courteous.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Our show that we go to, give 2 chairs per table. The guy who has the cheap boxes have them by sport and he has 4 tables usually so he has 8-10 chairs and people are usually good about not hogging the boxes and there is plenty of room for everybody and he also does a 70% star card box and that is the one that gets most of the older people coming to see and it is first come serve and his wife stays right there are that table to watch people but most are courteous and he makes a killing because if you buy 50 or more cards he takes more money off.
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you all for the responses. It was just disappointing to see what was going on. I will definitely skip this show next time around. We have a beckett sponsored show next month we will try.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (145)
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Washington Redskins
    See HollaMV7's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

If I'm going to spend a lot of time looking through boxes from a dealer, I am for sure using a chair. No way I'm standing when I'm looking through thousands of cards for at least 30 minutes. What irks me is when someone else comes by and starts looking through the same row I am and makes me lose my spot. Have some common courtesy and look at a different row then switch with me when I'm done.

As far as weighing packs goes, no place for that anywhere.
    Hidden Content - use the drop down box at the top left to view all my other albums
    Brian Orakpo/Sean Taylor/Craig Kimbrel Super Collector - I collect Lucky 13 Football RCs (04-07 all versions). Also like current Braves (Acuna/Albies/Dansby/Soroka/Strider/Riley/Harris/Fried, etc.), Mike Trout, Juan Soto, Roger Federer.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If I'm going to spend a lot of time looking through boxes from a dealer, I am for sure using a chair. No way I'm standing when I'm looking through thousands of cards for at least 30 minutes. What irks me is when someone else comes by and starts looking through the same row I am and makes me lose my spot. Have some common courtesy and look at a different row then switch with me when I'm done.

As far as weighing packs goes, no place for that anywhere.

he had blocked all 4 3200 count boxes and was picking from each of them not allowing anyone else to even see the boxes he was not going through. It was just a bad experience all around.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (145)
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Washington Redskins
    See HollaMV7's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

he had blocked all 4 3200 count boxes and was picking from each of them not allowing anyone else to even see the boxes he was not going through. It was just a bad experience all around.

In that case then yes I understand your gripe. Even if I'm looking through boxes while sitting down I always go in order and allow other buyers to look through them as well. Like I said it doesn't bother me at all unless someone starts going through the same thing I am. That's just rude.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

This is nothing new. I am the same boat as you and used to attend 2-3 card shows a week, but have not been to one in years. Living in Toronto, there is a strong hockey presence and 90% of the dealers at the show here focus on hockey and nothing else, if not more. The few dealers that have other sports quite typically inflate their prices, so it is a complete was of time for me. Greed has sadly taken over the hobby in most places, and a local card show is a good a place as any to notice this.