Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie cards?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mugmasher's Items on eBay

Rookie cards?

I was just wondering. When a player changes teams in his career does that affect his rookie card at all because he’s in a different uniform? I often wondered that. Maybe it’s a stupid question but just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Sports Card Forum mobile app

SCF Rewards
    Country

Its crazy how much if effects the value of a card.

Ask all the people who collected:

- Taylor Hall
    - PK Subban

Ask them how much their collection decreased all because of a trade.

It works both ways though.

I collected Jonathan Bernier during his rookie year. He was kind of treading water value wise being a very strong back up on a very strong team, not really getting a shot. I remember putting up a Cup 3clr RC Au Patch /249 on the boards for $80US dlvd. No bites after a few bumps / price drops and probably 150 - 200 views. The DAY Toronto traded for him I had 5+ PMs about my Bernier, some saying they will buy at my lowered price, some saying they will buy at my original asking price. Sold it on ebay within a few days for much more than I was asking for weeks on SCF.

The team a player plays on determines A LOT of their hobby value. Watch if Galchenyuk gets traded, if Tavares signs elsewhere this summer, if Karlsson is moved at the draft. You will most likely see:

- Galchenyuk - going down ( what happens to everyone that leaves Montreal )
    - Tavares - going up ( depending on where he moves, watch out if lands on a Canadian team )
    - Karlsson - up or down based on location

PS - I also forgot to mention that I have seen a trend with this hobby. It seems to me that people are a lot pickier when it comes to pickups of their teams new acquisitions. Some people will ONLY buy rookies of a new player, and skip everything else until they are pictured with the new club. Some people decide to skip rookies all together and wait till their team is pictured. Ive found that a lot more people are skipping the rookies as of late, which wasnt the case in the past
    Last edited by canucksfan007; 03-02-2018 at 06:46 AM.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mugmasher's Items on eBay

Funny the first person that came to mind was Taylor hall ..I actually pulled his one of one gold card from contenders one that came out back in the day. I was wondering to myself what that would be rough today LOL. But yeah like Taylor Hall I don’t see any of his cards on the hot list and he’s having a great year

Sent from my iPhone using SportsCardForum

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'll echo what @canucksfan007 said.

It all depends on where they get traded. If a player is in Montreal, that's one of the hottest teams collecting wise. Huge fan base, big appeal. Once that player is traded - no matter how good they do - they're playing somewhere that they'll be less popular among collectors, since no team has more collectors than Montreal. Even if they went to Toronto - you'd have a lot of collectors less interested in getting a Montreal card.

Taylor Hall is a great example. Edmonton has a big following, New Jersey does not. His prices were already dropping before the trade, and moving to New Jersey meant there were lots of Edmonton fans looking to dump his stuff, without enough New Jersey fans eager to pick it up.... so price drop more.

A top 10 finish in the league scoring race (he's 12th right now) and a first round playoff exit, IMO, won't be enough to move the needle on his cards much. If he were to win the scoring title, or carry the Devils to the cup finals... that might get people paying what they did 7 years ago for his cards, but I think much less than that and collectors will just shrug their shoulders.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

Everything that's been said above has been hit right on the head. For example the Subban/Weber trade. Subbans stuff has gone way down while Webers stuff went up after the trade. Drouins stuff skyrocketed after the trade to Montreal. Kessel's stuff was pretty weak with Toronto then he came to Pit and his rookie cards are up in value.

I only collect Rookies and HOF/Retired Autos. I'm a Pens fan and I only have one Kessel card and its his FWA. I just have no interest in his rookie stuff pictured in a Bruins Uni. I definitely have no interest in any of his Toronto stuff.

Overall, once a player leaves his team his cards are pictured in the value drops way off. The rookies take the biggest hit as they are the ones that are worth the most.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country

Everything that's been said above has been hit right on the head. For example the Subban/Weber trade. Subbans stuff has gone way down while Webers stuff went up after the trade. Drouins stuff skyrocketed after the trade to Montreal.

Correct, when a player goes to a big market, his rookie cards or other cards will go up. Drouin, Weber, even smaller names like Danault or Deslauriers who nobody purchased before, all of a sudden their rookie cards goes way up in value.

Same thing happens when a player goes to a smaller market, when Sergachev was in Montreal, it's crazy the amount of people that started collecting his cards and the money they were willing to spend. When he got traded to Tampa, his rookie cards went way down in value, and Drouin went up instantly.
    Last edited by jackpot; 03-02-2018 at 07:31 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think it hurts all his cards with the old team as people from his new team really don't want to collect something picturing a different team. The only guys it doesn't effect would be player collectors but many player collectors collect a guy because he's on "their" team and they care less for him after he gets traded. That's why it makes more sense for player collectors to only collect a guy they like or go after retired guys who obviously aren't going to go to a different team anymore.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Correct, when a player goes to a big market, his rookie cards or other cards will go up. Drouin, Weber, even smaller names like Danault or Deslauriers who nobody purchased before, all of a sudden their rookie cards goes way up in value.

Same thing happens when a player goes to a smaller market, when Sergachev was in Montreal, it's crazy the amount of people that started collecting his cards and the money they were willing to spend. When he got traded to Tampa, his rookie cards went way down in value, and Drouin went up instantly.

Actually Sergachev went up after the trade to Tampa and then went up again later
    Montreal never paid up for his cards. his fwa's were below $20.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Actually Sergachev went up after the trade to Tampa and then went up again later
    Montreal never paid up for his cards. his fwa's were below $20.

His fwa while in mtl were selling in the $40 range, I know because I used to PC him and followed the price. When he got traded to Tampa, his cards went way down in value.

The only part you got right is when his cards went up again last October when he got a fast start

SCF Rewards
    Country

His fwa while in mtl were selling in the $40 range, I know because I used to PC him and followed the price. When he got traded to Tampa, his cards went way down in value.

The only part you got right is when his cards went up again last October when he got a fast start

I paid $11.50 usd for mine when he was on Montreal.
    There's no way he sold for $40 usd consistently.

Hab fans don't pay up for Russian players, just look at Galchenyuk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast