Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Notes with TTM returns

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New York Yankees Columbus Blue Jackets Minnesota Golden Gophers

Notes with TTM returns

I'm curious - how often does the athlete you send to write a note back?

I've sent a few hundred TTMs overall, mostly baseball with a handful of hockey and a few of other sports. I've had a few players answer questions I wrote but the only time I ever really got a note back was a player from my hometown who wrote "thank for the support" on a post it.

I just got in a TTM for a minor league hockey player who went to my university which came back with a note. It's only a few lines long and is thanking me for being a fan and offering to sign another picture if it got damaged in the mail. Still, it was awesome to get back. I'm guessing I'm the only person who has ever sent him a TTM before.

How often does everyone else get notes? And what situations usually lead to you getting them? In both of mine I had a shared background (hometown or college) and wrote a bit about it plus postmarked from that location which I'm sure has helped. Is there anything else you've noticed?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Ray Miller Patrick Ewing Floyd Rayford Al Bumbrey have for me over the past year

SCF Rewards
    Country

I got a typed letter from both Ted Thompson and Bill Belicheck and a hand written note from James Morris (former Iowa Hawkeyes LB) but, really thats the only notes I can remember getting throughout all my TTMs

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have gotten a few.Carl Erskine,Bobby Shantz,Virgil Trucks,Stan Williams and a few more I can't think of.I wrote to Johnny Grubb and asked him about tips for my daughter, who was playing H.S.
    softball at the time.He wrote her a 2 page letter about how he approached the game,different hitting and fielding tips.She wrote back,thanking him for taking the time to help her.He then sent her a signed ball,that she still displays in her room.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have gotten back handwritten letters from:
    Jarrod Pughsley
    Raheem Mostert
    Doug Fister
    Nick Goody
    Carl Erskine
    Sal Giardina
    Vance McDonald
    Collecting: Yordano Ventura, Salvador Perez, Mike Moustakas, and especially Eric Hosmer.

Always looking for Autographs with Bible verse inscriptions

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia 76ers Philadelphia Phillies Boston Red Sox
    See pri.madel's Items on eBay Instagram:

I've gotten maybe 200.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've been at it for just under a year with maybe 50 sent and 30 responses. I've received a note/price sheet from Jim Bouton and Don Larsen (Larsen also included a hand written note letting me know I owed $4). The only other note was from Craig McMurtry (written on the back of the return envelope). The McMurtry was because in his playing days he could've been my dad's twin (legit, put my dad in a Braves uniform and he could have fooled the whole team in the dugout), so I included a picture of my dad so he could see the resemblance.

I typically don't ask any questions, though, and that would likely prompt more written responses.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I had hand written notes from Telvin Smith (on the back of the signed photo), and from Josh Lambo (letter back to me). Both made the whole experience of TTM so worthwhile. As good as the autographed item, if not better.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys NULL
    Twitter: @@Mario78521 See Oxxon's Items on eBay

Maybe 10 or less.