Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

RIsky Business - To Offer or Not To Offer?

So last night I won a Josh Gorges rookie Cup Printing Plate. It's been a while since I've had a real good addition to that collection.

Here's a question that has me on the fence -- I scored a Yellow Plate from Ice...there's a fellow on eBay who has the Magenta Plate from Ice. It's been posted off and on for a while now at roughly 5x the price I paid last night for the Yellow version. I've put in random offers over the past few months that are consistent and within five bucks of what the card I got last night went for.

Is it worth messaging the guy to say, "Look, here's the evidence. It's Josh Gorges. You ain't getting three figures for a dude that is probably about to retire" ?

Such is the struggle, eh?
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hi

Yup I would. What’s the worse that can happen. He says some unkind words lol.

Cheers Mike

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Well that's just it - in addition to the unkind words I could also suddenly see said plate listed for an even more outrageous amount. LOL

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think its best you reach out to him. You dont need to say, "You aint about to get three figures from a guy whos about to retire", because the other member might think that he will. Stuff does jump when a player retires, maybe not Gorges, but with others it does.

Most of the time, its best just to be honest about it. If he isnt responding to your offers, and just auto declining, try reaching him in PM. Good communication on both ends is key. I just sent this message out to 2 ebayers I have been talking to on the same card I have for sale. One hasnt appeared on ebay in 10 years to all of our knowledge, but im sure we all know that feeling of having a card lost from right under your nose, and being honest / giving them both one last shot at an offer I think is the best way to keep both parties happy.

"Hello, I am sending this exact same message at the exact same time to 2 ebayers. Both of you have made very serious offers on this card. Instead of having this go back and forth in private message, I have decided to counter offer you both the exact same amount, and let you both have one final offer. I do not want to create a bidding war, and I feel this is the most fair way to do so. Being a collector first, I understand the feeling of a seller selling a card from right under you without warning, whether it being taken down early or another very similar offered accepted without the ability for you to react. I will send both of you counter offers today at 2:00PM Pacific time. I will wait to receive counter offers from both of you before accepting any offer, so please dont feel rushed in your decision. Thank you both for your interest in this card."

Your Gorges Plate seller might be into it for too much, and simply just be stubborn in moving so he doesnt take a loss, no matter what comparable auctions are going on around him ..... but until you reach out to him, you'll never know.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks Steffen for that feedback - it's fun going from the seller's perspective. I now have two of that Ice plate, so getting #3 would be pretty cool and would set me up to potentially "set the table" so to speak. It has been a few months since I last put in the offer, so maybe this time it'll work in my favour.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I would say go for it and message the seller before making an offer. Being kind about it, and offering up some evidence is a good way to go about it. The worst he can say is no.

Timing is also factor, too. Who knows, maybe enough time has past and your message to the seller will be just enough for him to reconsider the price of that plate, instead of letting it sit on EBAY forever and ever.

I I know the feeling well, Richard. Best of luck, please let us know what happens. Hoping you can snag this 1/1!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Canucks fan, now you've got me very intrigued as to what the card you have up there is.