Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Montreal hockey writer proposes nasty poison pill for Edmonton Oilers in Milan Lucic trade

This in from Mathias Brunet, hockey writer for La Presse in Montreal, (with the help of the Lexilogos translation page), Brunet’s take on the poison pill the Edmonton Oilers should swallow in order to trade Milan Lucic to the Habs: “(Montreal GM) Marc Bergevin would manage a masterstroke to convince Chiarelli to give up him his tenth choice overall in 2018, as well as Lucic, in return for choices in the second and third rounds, and maybe a prospect.”

My take
    I would not write about Brunet’s poison pill suggestion, except he’s a prominent Montreal sports writer with almost 70,000 followers on Twitter. It’s interesting to hear how different credible sources around the league view Lucic’s value.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...real-canadiens

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's an interesting suggestion. Oilers move the 10th overall for a couple of lower picks - just to be rid of Lucic? While I think he will be VERY hard to move, I believe that's an overpay.

Lucic & a 2nd for a 3rd? Yeah, you can do that.

Of course if they were were to unload him for nothing but a pick (or a minor leaguer) and freed up that cap space... what would they spend it on? Not like they were pushing the cap last year, since they freed up all that room moving Eberle.

I won't be sorry to see Lucic get moved (I think he makes too much money for what he brings) but it does seem to be the Oiler way. Move him out in the name of cap space, when his value is as low as it ever has been, and downgrade the overall skill of the team.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

No thank you!
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Just to add to your "no thanks"......

Lucic (allegedly) left money on the table when he signed in Edmonton. It was reported that Montreal offered him 1m more per year (7m x7 years, instead of 6m x 7 years) than the Oilers did.

Just to continue on the idea of Lucic to MTL: There's an oilers forum that I read, but don't post on. The idea of moving him... and MTL as that rumored destination... has been a recent conversation. This question gets asked:

No picks, no prospects, no nothing else.... no salary swapping.....

Would you trade Lucic straight up for Shea Weber ?

Collective wisdom on the forum says "NO" (and I would tend to agree. It would get rid of one problem contract, and replace it with a bigger longer term problem contract).

I really don't think they'll be trading him.