Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kracken99 View Post
    This is like insanely sad. It's like why dude? You're pretty much on your last contract of a 240 million dollars guaranteed money with what five years to go. You play for Seattle where there are no high expectations to excel. There's no production incentives that A-Rod had at least which was still pretty dumb. So it just leaves you shaking your head. Because there's zero for Cano to gain but everything to lose. SMH at least he was forward about it and didn't drag it into an A-Rod spectacle.But still a lot of unanswered questions.
    I'm willing to bet his PED days go back to when he was playing for the Yankees (early into it) and he just got sloppy and didn't mask his usage well enough to beat the tests this time around. As much flack as baseball gets they do seem to catch a few guys every once in awhile.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    I'm willing to bet his PED days go back to when he was playing for the Yankees (early into it) and he just got sloppy and didn't mask his usage well enough to beat the tests this time around. As much flack as baseball gets they do seem to catch a few guys every once in awhile.
    Except this theory makes no sense. If he's known how to mask the tests all these years, and he's been tested multiple times every year during his entire career and passed with no flags, then why would he change his method now in such a stupid manner?

I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, and Jeff Bagwell.
    Hidden Content - My collection website with galleries, need lists, and trade lists.
    Needs List:
    Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

I was sharing a beer with my pops (who's a doctor - gp) on the patio this fine Canadian long weekend, and I decided to ask him about Lasix/furosemide, thinking he might know something as a medical practitioner. His assessment as it relates to both the drug and Cano's situation specifically was pretty black-and-white. He gave only three reasons why someone might have furosemide in their system:

- as treatment for a heart condition causing blood pressure issues (serious heart/blood pressure issues, no less)
    - as treatment for a bad kidney problem
    - to mask the use of PEDs by changing the chemical composition of one's urine

He then stated that someone suffering from either of the first two conditions (a heart/blood pressure or kidney issue requiring furosemide) would be in no physical condition to be a pro baseball player.
    In other words, this is about as red-handed a catch as they come by today's standards.

I also don't think that it's just a coincidence that he was busted less than 48-hours after breaking his hand and requiring surgery for it. An unexpected injury like that could certainly disrupt his medical routines in general, or cause an unscheduled urine test he wasn't expecting, or prevented him from taking his pills at the right time...

I don't know about the HOF angle, as I fall into the "put them all in" camp, personally.

And, how about Miguel Cabrera's seemingly impulsive response? Why you so mad, bro?

Last edited by ravens_creed; 05-21-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    ​GO LEAFS GO!!

Being a Brewer fan, I've heard that sometimes the collectors mishandle the samples.

Collecting Topps Brewers, and PCs of Jonathan Lucroy, Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, and Ken Griffey Jr. Have a want list that's titled "My want Topps".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gollnick View Post
    Being a Brewer fan, I've heard that sometimes the collectors mishandle the samples.
    A reference to Ryan Braun? I'm not as familiar with the details surrounding his case, although I remember he denied PED use vehemently.

Admittedly, I'm more skeptical than not when it comes to athletes testing positive for PED use. Is it plausible that samples can become tainted after the fact? Can PEDs really show up in your urine because of, say, a contaminated piece of meat? I find these both to be well-though-out excuses, but excuses nonetheless. How does a handler cause a sample to become contaminated without some egregious failure to follow proper protocol or to manipulate the sample specifically? It doesn't just magically get in there on its own. I've never bought into the contaminated meat argument either. It seems like an attempt to beat the system or ruling, but I've never been fooled. Remember when Alberto Contador won the Tour de France, and then got busted, only to claim it was a contaminated piece of meat he'd had flown in especially from Spain? Come on, bro... you expect me to believe that while in France, the gourmet food capital and standard in the world, you couldn't find a steak to your liking? And that you absolutely had to have some special steak from Spain flown in... and that special steak ends up being contaminated? Just an egregious lie. Never mind the pride factor, there's often a lot of money on the line for these athletes who get caught. I understand the idea of not going down without a fight, but the scenarios we're presented with to explain these claims of innocence are often insulting to our intelligence.

I have always respected Cano from the first day he was on the field as a Yankee. Super smooth swing and his defense was pretty good as well. Mark Teixeira came out and said he wasn't surprised that he tested positive, and thought he might of doing PED's while he was a Yankee. What's sad about this is that if he would of went his entire career and never been caught, suspected or not, was a first ballot HOF'er when eligible.

Everything I've heard is that he was trying to mask something else. I actually had the chance to talk to one of his former teammates 2 days ago. My son AJ (TroutFan618) and I went to the Gary Southshore Railcats game on Sunday as they were playing the St. Paul Saints, both of the independent American Association. We were there to get some cards signed by a couple guys, one of them being former Seattle Mariners closer Tom Wilhelmsen. After the game, my son called Wilhelmsen over and asked if he would sign, he said sure and came over. As he was signing AJ's 3 cards, I asked him what he thought about his former teammate Robinson Cano. He point blank said "I think he's a cheater". I then asked him if he was surprised about it and he again without having to think about it at all said "No".

Quote Originally Posted by ravens_creed View Post
    I was sharing a beer with my pops (who's a doctor - gp) on the patio this fine Canadian long weekend, and I decided to ask him about Lasix/furosemide, thinking he might know something as a medical practitioner. His assessment as it relates to both the drug and Cano's situation specifically was pretty black-and-white. He gave only three reasons why someone might have furosemide in their system:

- as treatment for a heart condition causing blood pressure issues (serious heart/blood pressure issues, no less)
    - as treatment for a bad kidney problem
    - to mask the use of PEDs by changing the chemical composition of one's urine

He then stated that someone suffering from either of the first two conditions (a heart/blood pressure or kidney issue requiring furosemide) would be in no physical condition to be a pro baseball player.
    In other words, this is about as red-handed a catch as they come by today's standards.

I also don't think that it's just a coincidence that he was busted less than 48-hours after breaking his hand and requiring surgery for it. An unexpected injury like that could certainly disrupt his medical routines in general, or cause an unscheduled urine test he wasn't expecting, or prevented him from taking his pills at the right time...

I don't know about the HOF angle, as I fall into the "put them all in" camp, personally.

And, how about Miguel Cabrera's seemingly impulsive response? Why you so mad, bro?
    Canadian docs must use Lasix differently than docs in the US then. It's used to treat blood pressure issues of all sorts here, including people who are more than capable of still being high functioning athletes with their blood pressure issue under control. If there were absolutely no use for Lasix in an active athlete then there wouldn't be a Therapeutic Use Exemption available for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12