Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

How much lower do you value these BGS slabs?

Hey all

Just wanted to get some opinions on BGS graded cards.

Lets say the same cards has the same grades, but using BGS's different grading options.

Card #1 - BGS 9.5 ( all 9.5 subs )

Card #2 - BGS 9.5 ( hard slabbed, did not pay for the full grading service and therefor does not have any sub grades listed )

Card #3 - BGS 9.5 RAW Review
    ** If people need a reference, link attached below **
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alex-Galche...0AAOSw9KhZ76Xh

Lets say card #1 has an approx re-sale value of $100.

1 - Would you give the same value on card #2, when it doesnt have the sub grades shown on the slab? Is it a little bit lower / less collectible in your opinion?

2 - What do you value the "raw review" card #3? Does the 9.5 grade carry any weight to it? Do you consider this card to be a BGS 9.5? What is your opinion on the cards value, based on card #1 being $100.

I dont deal with vintage very often, usually only when someone wants to trade when im set up at a show. Most of the time, people give me the "look how mint this is, its got to be at least an 8 if not higher", where I have to respond to them, "unless its graded its no more than a very good condition "raw" card". I often tell them while I agree the card looks very nice, I cannot give more than the average raw card sales, and I cannot trade based on what we think a grade could be. Like the raw review cards, I believe these to be just glorified raw copies of the card, where the number attached to it doesnt mean much ( almost like getting lower end, less established companies giving cards a "10" )

Unless I am mistaken, card #1 and #2 will be inserted into the BGS POP Report, while card #3 isnt.

There have also been stories of people switching out cards from the "raw review" cases, as they are really just card savors with a sticker keeping it sealed.

Thoughts and opinions are welcomed!
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

Hey Steffan, here are my thoughts on this as I have purchased all 3 from people.

At the end of the day both #1 & #2 are slabbed BGS 9.5 cards. Personal preference goes to #1 since you can clearly see the subs but I believe earlier on, Beckett didn't post the subs unless you asked/paid for it. You can resubmit the card to have the subs printed but it's an additional cost. Some people will ask an additional $20 or so for #1 since you can clearly see the subs. Anything more that that is dumb as you can buy #2 resubmit it and just pay the difference and get it done yourself! RAW 9.5 cards still are 9.5 cards, just unslabbed. You are correct, as only cards slabbed are entered into the database. RAW 9.5 cards cannot be switched out. The sticker prevents that from happening as it is tamper proof. I view RAW 9.5 cards as a slabbed 9.5 card and I usually just subtract about $20-$30 to take into consideration of the cost to have it slabbed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey Steffan, here are my thoughts on this as I have purchased all 3 from people.

At the end of the day both #1 & #2 are slabbed BGS 9.5 cards. Personal preference goes to #1 since you can clearly see the subs but I believe earlier on, Beckett didn't post the subs unless you asked/paid for it. You can resubmit the card to have the subs printed but it's an additional cost. Some people will ask an additional $20 or so for #1 since you can clearly see the subs. Anything more that that is dumb as you can buy #2 resubmit it and just pay the difference and get it done yourself! RAW 9.5 cards still are 9.5 cards, just unslabbed. You are correct, as only cards slabbed are entered into the database. RAW 9.5 cards cannot be switched out. The sticker prevents that from happening as it is tamper proof. I view RAW 9.5 cards as a slabbed 9.5 card and I usually just subtract about $20-$30 to take into consideration of the cost to have it slabbed.

Thanks for the info, didnt know you could just simply re-slab a non sub graded 9.5 ... I always just avoided them.

Good to know when hunting some deals =)