Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

17-18 Series 2 - Am I out of touch or is this historically bad?

I haven't been collecting sets (other than tim hortons and canadian tire) in the 17-18 season as I became really sour with the price of wax after the 15/16,16-17 seasons but lately I've had the itch to open some boxes and build a set. I've been seeing regularly good deals on series 2 of upper deck in all formats so I figured I might pick up some and the series 1 as well. I went to cardboardconnection to see the checklist for series 2 and well...is it the worst young guns checklist of all time? I looked at it and man...I feel like series 2 would have to be nearly free for it to be worth it.

That being said...this year was a year where my head just hasn't been into hockey so are there some names on there that are important to the hobby and I'm just blind to that?

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm kinda in the same boat as you in terms of where my headspace is hockey and hobby-wise, but I really haven't been wow'd by anything this year with the exception of SP Authentic. And that's likely only because on the break night I attended the case break yielded one of the McDavid YG Autos and a Hischier YG Acetate.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (48)
    Country

That and the quality issues have caused me to decide to stop purchasing any Upper Deck products in the future. The $4000 to $5000 I spent in the past will now go to a nicer vacation.
    Current Wantlist:
    Hidden Content

Traders:
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

Same here. I haven’t purchased any UD stuff in a long time! Waste of money! I agree with SP authentic though, it didn’t appear to be too bad.
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

Same here. I haven’t purchased any UD stuff in a long time! Waste of money! I agree with SP authentic though, it didn’t appear to be too bad.

One of the issues with SPA though is that for a set builder it's an extremely expensive endeavor. If you buy wax you're looking at like $125 CDN per box to get 1 FWA of which there are like 50-60 every year so if you want to build the set semi-naturally you have to spend thousands on boxes. Buying the cards is much cheaper of course but often there'll be a couple of FWA that cost many hundreds of dollars.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

One of the issues with SPA though is that for a set builder it's an extremely expensive endeavor. If you buy wax you're looking at like $125 CDN per box to get 1 FWA of which there are like 50-60 every year so if you want to build the set semi-naturally you have to spend thousands on boxes. Buying the cards is much cheaper of course but often there'll be a couple of FWA that cost many hundreds of dollars.

Most boxes I've seen so far have had 2 FWA but it's not guaranteed this year, which is frustrating.

And of course those fun Schmaltz inscriptions have turned a $10 card into a $100 card!