Thread: OPC vs Topps

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Wizards NULL NULL

OPC vs Topps

I'm looking to start a little baseball collection to go with my hockey cards. I really like the look of the 1986 OPC cards , are they as desirable as the Topps version? All things being equal (or close) I would prefer to stick with the OPC version. Thanks
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Sports Card Forum mobile app

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not really many baseball cards that desirable from the 1980s but I'd say that the OPC cards are harder to find by a lot but they really don't sell for that much more because many are still in Canada and Americans really don't want to pay the shipping to prices for junk wax era stuff.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

OPC baseball from that era was printed in much lower quantities (some believe as little as 5% of the Topps print run), so they are harder to find... Especially in the US. Looking at pop reports, it is obvious they are more rare. However, many of the key rookies of the era are NOT included in the OPC sets (Ripken, Boggs, Rickey Henderson all come to mind), due to the abbreviated set size. High graded examples of OPC rookies routinely sell for much higher prices than their Topps counterpart. That is partially because of the rarity, but also because OPC cards typically don't grade as high as Topps. Usually first year OPC also sell for higher than their second year Topps counterpart (in the case of guys who didn't have an OPC rookie). As for raw non rookies, they sell for about the same as Topps.

One thing you might want to research is whether or not the players you want to collect are included in the OPC sets. The OPC set is approximately half the size of Topps, and focuses heavily on Canadian born players and the two Canadian teams.

SCF Rewards
    Country

OPC baseball from that era was printed in much lower quantities (some believe as little as 5% of the Topps print run), so they are harder to find... Especially in the US. Looking at pop reports, it is obvious they are more rare. However, many of the key rookies of the era are NOT included in the OPC sets (Ripken, Boggs, Rickey Henderson all come to mind), due to the abbreviated set size. High graded examples of OPC rookies routinely sell for much higher prices than their Topps counterpart. That is partially because of the rarity, but also because OPC cards typically don't grade as high as Topps. Usually first year OPC also sell for higher than their second year Topps counterpart (in the case of guys who didn't have an OPC rookie). As for raw non rookies, they sell for about the same as Topps.

One thing you might want to research is whether or not the players you want to collect are included in the OPC sets. The OPC set is approximately half the size of Topps, and focuses heavily on Canadian born players and the two Canadian teams.

FWIW, if you are only looking at 1986, you shouldn't have much of a problem with rookies not being included. The only rookies of note were Fielder and Dykstra (wow, that's a poor rookie class), and they were both included in the OPC set.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A couple of things to add:

(1) The 1980s OPC cards were printed on brighter card stock than their Topps counterparts, so all the stats on the back are a little bit easier to read.

(2) OPC was notorious for not changing their cutting blades very often, so just like with their hockey cards, you'll get some rough edges on their baseball cards.