Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

ebay is replacing PayPal as main payment option

That's according to this article:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/01/tech...yen/index.html

Thoughts?

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Crucially: "It will also remain a payment option at checkout for eBay customers until July 2023."

Times changes and so does business with it. It will probably cause some issues in the long run for the average customer but doesn't look like it will be immediate.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Going to be interesting to follow

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

« EBay said the benefits of the changes would include lower costs for sellers and more payment options for buyers »

Anybody want to bet ebay will then increase their fees?
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Crucially: "It will also remain a payment option at checkout for eBay customers until July 2023."

Times changes and so does business with it. It will probably cause some issues in the long run for the average customer but doesn't look like it will be immediate.

For a collector like me, it might go either way. I don't have (and won't be getting) a credit card, so if a credit card is the preferred method of payment, I'm done with the hobby.

However, I'm hoping more payment options will be available. I realize that ebay is an online entity, but I see no reason why an American money order isn't an acceptable form of payment. I am hopeful that more people would be receptive to this idea.

Not too far down the line, physical money will cease to exist; I'm well aware of that. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I think this is the key right now. PayPal will still be a payment option, and I'm sure we can adapt to something new (whatever that is) when July 2023 rolls around and PayPal is no longer a payment option.

Sent from my iPhone using Sports Card Forum mobile app
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

They don't want you to use a money order, because it isn't instant. If you owe a guy $20 USD, and have to mail that to him (which comes out of your pocket) it will likely take a week, or more, to get from Canada to the USA. Then he's got to take it to a bank to cash, a place he may never actually go to. I'm sure you'd find many people that would rather have just sold the item for less, than deal with that perceived hassle.

But that's mailing a money order.

You don't need a credit card to use paypal now. You just need a bank account.

Even if a credit card were mandatory to use - there's ways around it. You can get a prepaid Visa or Mastercard, load money onto the card as you see fit, and use that for paypay. It costs a couple of percentage points to load (and I think normally a minimum charge as well) - but it's like having a credit card without having a credit card.

On the broader topic: If eBay ditches paypal in favor of something else, so long as it's as simple as paypal.... and doesn't cost more... they'll be fine.

For a collector like me, it might go either way. I don't have (and won't be getting) a credit card, so if a credit card is the preferred method of payment, I'm done with the hobby.

However, I'm hoping more payment options will be available. I realize that ebay is an online entity, but I see no reason why an American money order isn't an acceptable form of payment. I am hopeful that more people would be receptive to this idea.

Not too far down the line, physical money will cease to exist; I'm well aware of that. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

Since I was in my early teens I've used Paypal Credit. Its basically my own credit card. My moms credit card is on the paypal but I have rarely ever used it only when I was first getting started. I haven't touched her credit card in 8 years (I'm now 22). Paypal Credit has been a life save for me. I was able to purchase boxes/cases/singles I would never have had the chance to all because paypal credit. You get 6 months to pay off anything $99 or more. I've never missed a payment on there. I don't think a lot of people use it?

I agree as long as its as simple and doesn't cost more. That's the whole key.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Paypal is nice to deal on and off-ebay. It is used a lot on hobby sites like here on SCF. Will it be possible to pay things outside ebay with Adyen? Maybe we'll have to move to E-interac for sale on places like here.
    Last edited by odjickfan; 06-07-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks

That's how Ebay worked back when they first started. Mailing turn around wasn't that bad back then. Then Paypal came around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast