Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Is the RB position DEAD?

This may be Lev Bell's last year with the Steelers as they seem to have no intention to pay him what he's worth ... and now David Johnson is refusing to attend mandatory training for the Cardinals and they don't seem all that interested in compensating him fairly either ... is the RB position dead?

I know there are still some GREAT backs in the league but it doesn't seem like there is a single team that would even value the best of the best RB's as much as a mere possession receiver like Jarvis Landry ... that's sad and just incredible to me.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

The trend is to undervalue the position or address it by filling it with interchangeable players (see: Patriots and Packers). However I don't think the position will be dead because once a lot of teams start employing defenses that are smaller/faster to cover the pass, punishing RBs will make a return to squish those defenses. All in the ebb and flow, actions and reactions, of the league. I remember when 34 defenses were huge, then 43, then back to 34. It will turn into a specialized position, an option in the toolkit. But probably not reach the zenith that it was in the 20th century.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

Also, David Johnson is on a rookie deal and was lost last year to injury. Get back into camp! Le'Veon on the other hand.... PAY THE MAN! He's more than a RB, he can split out and be just as much of a nightmare as top flight TEs.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

If you are on your rookie contract suck it up! It is amazing how many backs are playing or lining up in TE/WR positions! Pay Bell!
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

^ Great comments fellas, I agree 100%!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Jets
    My traders on Flickr

If the league is attempting to tone down the physicality of the game the RB position will be an unfortunate casualty in that.

The dink and dunk passing style is becoming the new run play in a way.
    Check out my Collection!
    Hidden Content
    if the offer is right I will deal anything
    I am a collector of the New York JetsHidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

You could make the argument that every position other than the QB position is dead now. Though the TE has comeback strong once people copied the Patriots and realized if you just get a big guy who is fast he will out run the linebackers and destroy the rest of the tiny players on defense. All the other positions like FB, WR, and now RB have basically fallen off a cliff though talent wise and it is hard to see anybody breaking running records now or chasing after Jerry Rice when not too long ago these things seemed reachable.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

You could make the argument that every position other than the QB position is dead now. Though the TE has comeback strong once people copied the Patriots and realized if you just get a big guy who is fast he will out run the linebackers and destroy the rest of the tiny players on defense. All the other positions like FB, WR, and now RB have basically fallen off a cliff though talent wise and it is hard to see anybody breaking running records now or chasing after Jerry Rice when not too long ago these things seemed reachable.

I think Rice's records will be obliterated one day (as it's a passing league now, more than anything else) ... Emmitt Smith's won't be imho

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Jets
    My traders on Flickr

I thought the last player with a chance to catch Emmit smiths rushing record was Peterson but a series of unfortunate events put a stop to that.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think Rice's records will be obliterated one day (as it's a passing league now, more than anything else) ... Emmitt Smith's won't be imho

I don't doubt this but I've just been kind of surprised by the lack of dominant wide receivers that have been in the NFL the past 10 years or so. Not really many guys that I thought even have a chance to challenge Rice's record despite the explosion in passing yards recently. And let's be real they aren't going to slow it down and go back to when running backs and full backs were moving the offense as it looks like it will be a passing centered league for years to come.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast