Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Tavares contract breakdown:

Year 1 - $650k salary, $15.25M signing bonus
    Year 2 - $910k salary, $15.25M signing bonus
    Year 3 - $910k salary, $11.09M signing bonus
    Year 4 - $910k salary, $8.44M signing bonus
    Year 5 - $910k salary, $7.04M signing bonus
    Year 6 - $910k salary, $7.04M signing bonus
    Year 7 - $910k salary, $7.04M signing bonus

No idea what the reasoning is behind giving the majority of the money as a signing bonus, the cap hit is $11 million regardless.

It's front loaded with those signings bonuses, which is good for Tavares and he's guaranteed a ton of money. Also, this contract structure with majority of his money being paid out in signing bonuses makes it lockout & buyout proof.

If there is a lockout, he won't get paid the 910k salary, which he won't mind because he's still be getting paid a massive signing bonus anyway, and it's buyout proof because the Leafs would only save 910k in salary towards their cap, so there wouldn't really be a point in buying him out, so Tavares would still get to play for the Leafs instead of being bought out (good for the player). I could be wrong, but this is the way I've read and learned about the Tavares contract.

But all of these are big "what if" scenarios that probably won't happen. I fully expect Tavares to play out his entire contract in a Leafs uniform.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 07-02-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See https://www.ebay.com/usr/nine_pockets's Items on eBay Instagram:

Great signing by the Leafs! I look forward to watching Tavares play for his new team. He might get through the first 10 games of the season on adrenaline alone.

But on the other side of the situation, it's really unfortunate that the Islanders weren't able to re-sign him or trade him before the free agency period. They could have (should have) gotten something in return.
    My trading card blog: Hidden Content

My merch store: Hidden Content

My custom card store on eBay: Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Great signing by the Leafs! I look forward to watching Tavares play for his new team. He might get through the first 10 games of the season on adrenaline alone.

But on the other side of the situation, it's really unfortunate that the Islanders weren't able to re-sign him or trade him before the free agency period. They could have (should have) gotten something in return.

While I love the signing as well, I do feel for the Islanders on this one. As a Leafs fan, I can't complain, but losing a guy like Tavares for nothing is a tough go.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jogesc2's Items on eBay

Have you seen what his YG prices are going for now??

$225CDN+ for raw!!

I still need one for my set and now I'm punching myself for not buying one sooner. I could have had one for $75 at the expo last fall and passed because I thought I could get it a bit cheaper at he time.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The Islanders botched this one, IMO.

There was a time when they could have traded him, though all the innuendo out there is that he told Snow he didn't want to be traded, and he wanted to resign.... so Snow kept him (in "good faith") planning to resign him.

Then ownership decided it was time to bring in Lou... and Lou looked at the state of the franchise, and decided that both the GM & Coach had to go. Bringing Lamarilo in to "stabilize the franchise" may very well have been a move to try and entice Tavares to stay.

I don't have much of an opinion on Doug Weight as a coach (he coached a very flawed team, and got results that could be described as being between "mediocre" and "poor") but Snow has been on the job long enough that I'd probably agree with Lou: Snow wasn't very good (except when trading with Peter Chiarelli).

This is nothing more than my own speculation (which is the best kind!): By all accounts Tavares really liked playing for Doug Weight. He lived with Weight back when he was rookie. The two are pretty tight. He seemed to have a good relationship with Snow.

Islanders get rid of those two guys, replace them with much stronger people in those jobs, but the "loyalty" factor is now gone. Back to my first comment: rumors were always out there that Tavares told Snow he intended to resign... but he was expecting to play for Doug Weight, and sign a contract with Garth Snow. Take the men whom he felt loyal to out of the equation.... and that kicked open the door to look at other opportunities. Lamarillo & Troz come with good credentials... but why should that matter to Tavares?

If Lou had just been content as President, and let Snow & Weight keep their jobs (for another year, anyway) I wonder if this unfolds differently.

As for the Leafs: This is a massive move. I don't see an argument that can be made, to suggest they do not have one of the three best groups of centres in the entire league. Tavares, at worst, is the 2nd best player on their team... and that's not really a "worst" thing... it's the realization that Matthews might be better (For me, I'm not sure Matthews *IS* better today, but there's a very good chance he will be better than Tavares ever was... and certainly 5 years from now Matthews will be the better player).

Am I ready to anoint the Leafs as true Cup Contenders? Yes. I think they were there already... they've got the talent, they're just not executing quite well enough.

One thing I was very wrong about: I thought the Leafs should have made a bigger push at the deadline last year, because they'd never have as talented a group of forwards again, as they did in 17-18: JVR, Bozak, Komarov would all be gone after the season... JVR, in particular, will be a big loss.... and they'd be replaced with younger (cheaper) players.

Bozak being replaced by Tavares in the Centre depth... that would more than make up for JVR's exit. This group of forwards is going to be scary good.

I don't think their defense is all that bad - I think they need to improve the supporting pieces, rather than get a true "elite" guy (something I don't think they'll have room for now).

While I love the signing as well, I do feel for the Islanders on this one. As a Leafs fan, I can't complain, but losing a guy like Tavares for nothing is a tough go.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Have you seen what his YG prices are going for now??

$225CDN+ for raw!!

I still need one for my set and now I'm punching myself for not buying one sooner. I could have had one for $75 at the expo last fall and passed because I thought I could get it a bit cheaper at he time.

I need a MacKinnon YG + YG Canvas for my set. They were damn cheap last summer but I told myself that I could still buy them later. And they exploded with his great season.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Philadelphia Eagles Toronto Blue Jays
    See maritimesportscards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

I picked up a Tavares FWA for $120 on Friday anticipating a huge increase if he signs in Toronto. It was a great decision as one is ending in a few hours at $340!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

I picked up a Tavares FWA for $120 on Friday anticipating a huge increase if he signs in Toronto. It was a great decision as one is ending in a few hours at $340!

Nice work on that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12