Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Topps announces big news! is it good or bad for the hobby?

The Topps Company & Major League Baseball Extend Exclusive Trading Card Agreement

The Topps Company & Major League Baseball Extend
    Exclusive Trading Card Agreement

(July 12, 2018 – New York City) – Topps has created lasting memories for baseball fans over the last seven decades and that tradition

will continue as Major League Baseball and The Topps Company today announced that they have extended their exclusive global partnership for MLB-licensed trading cards through 2025.

“Baseball and trading cards go hand-in-hand, eliciting memories of the legends of our game and showcasing the stars of today and tomorrow,” said Noah Garden, MLB Executive Vice President, Commerce. “Topps vibrantly remains a part of the baseball lexicon that conjures images so many of us have cherished. They have re-invigorated the trading card business with innovative products such as Topps NOW®, which offers our fans the opportunity to memorialize great moments throughout the season. It’s with great pleasure that we continue this long-term partnership.”

For more than 65 years, Topps has provided fan experiences that can’t be found anywhere else. Since 1952, the long-standing partnership between Major League Baseball and Topps has allowed Topps to create iconic trading cards that have become engrained in baseball culture with collectibles such as the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle, the 1955 Topps Roberto Clemente, and the 2011 Topps Mike Trout and 2017 Topps Aaron Judge rookie cards.

Topps brings fans closer to the game through unique card designs, creating cards out of plastic, wood and leather and including pieces of players’ game-used jerseys, bats, helmets and other items. In addition, many of Topps’ baseball cards are autographed by MLB’s top stars and rookies, such as the Los Angeles Angels new addition, Shohei Ohtani, whose autographed cards are available in 2018 Topps® products. Topps works directly with more players and features autographs of more stars and rookies than it ever has before. Topps cutting edge products have led to explosive category growth and drawn in many new collectors.

“Topps has always strived to be at the forefront of innovation,” said David Leiner, Topps Global General Manager of Sports & Entertainment. “We constantly look for new ways to bring joy and excitement to baseball fans whether they have been collecting for decades or just starting out. Our exclusive MLB license gives us the opportunity to continue as the category leader.”
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

With the exclusive global license, Topps energized the trading card world with TOPPS NOW®, the first on-demand trading card that captures the best baseball moments on a nightly basis. These cards are only available for 24 hours exclusively on Topps.com. Additionally, Topps launched The Living Set also available only on Topps.com, which is the first cross-generational set featuring lifelike artwork and leveraging Topps iconic 1953 design.

Even though opening a pack of cards is a thrilling experience, Topps doesn’t stop there. Topps has provided amazing opportunities for fans, including the Topps® Make Your Pro Debut contest, where a lucky fan becomes a Minor League baseball player for a day, trips to the T-Mobile Home Run Derby and All-Star Game presented by Mastercard, and private dinners with some of baseball’s greatest players and legends, such as Cubs superstar Kris Bryant and Hall of Famer Hank Aaron, through its Transcendent Collection® experience.

“Collecting baseball cards is such a personal experience for so many and we look for ways to enhance those moments, whether it’s through opening a pack of cards with your friends or winning a contest to throw out a first pitch,” Leiner said. “MLB and Topps aim to be a part of baseball fans’ lives from their childhood and this partnership will allow that to continue for years to come.”
    Great Prices on soft sleeves and top loaders!

Standard Soft sleeves .75 each or (5 for $3), Thick Soft Sleeves $1 each or (5 for $4), Top Loaders 60 point $2.75 each (3 for $8), Top Loaders 100 point $4, Top Loaders 140 points $2.50 each or (3 for $7) Top Loaders 190 point $1.75 each or (3 for $5), Top Loaders 240 point $2 each or (6 for $10). Prices do not include shipping!!

Check out Truebluecustoms on Instagram!!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

It is good news. The market has existed for decades with Topps. We don't know if the hobby would without Topps though.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines
    Milwaukee Brewers

They could cut back on some of their product, and make the high end stuff a bit easier to find. Neither of the "card shops" in my area have Topps Finest, High Tek, or anything else other than the base set, Opening Day, Archives, and Heritage.
    Collecting Topps Brewers. I PC Jonathan Lucroy, Paul Molitor, Christian Yelich, Robin Yount, and Ken Griffey Jr.

Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

They could cut back on some of their product, and make the high end stuff a bit easier to find. Neither of the "card shops" in my area have Topps Finest, High Tek, or anything else other than the base set, Opening Day, Archives, and Heritage.

I would guess to say your hobby shop does not order direct so that not falling on Topps but more thru the distribution channel. As many shops cannot order the volume to remain direct and with many products dropping in prices hence they only stock a box or two to avoid taking the big losses on the product. Only a few products increase with reliability and everyone knows pretty much which one those are while the others drop so much any shop who did not sell enough wax would bleed huge losses by having old stock at the msrp.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (145)
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Washington Redskins
    See HollaMV7's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Topps having the license is much better than Panini.
    Hidden Content - use the drop down box at the top left to view all my other albums
    Brian Orakpo/Sean Taylor/Craig Kimbrel Super Collector - I collect Lucky 13 Football RCs (04-07 all versions). Also like current Redskins and Braves (Acuna/Albies/Camargo/Soroka/Toussaint/Riley/Folty, etc.), Mike Trout, Blake Snell, Roger Federer.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See hitman73's Items on eBay

Exclusive is the word I don't like. Panini has put out some nice products lately. Would love it if they had an MLB license. You're gonna get the same-old same-old tired products from Topps.
    Wantlist to everything I collect and tradelist:
    Hidden Content
    When trading with me,communication is key.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (145)
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Washington Redskins
    See HollaMV7's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Exclusive is the word I don't like. Panini has put out some nice products lately. Would love it if they had an MLB license. You're gonna get the same-old same-old tired products from Topps.

Topps was way better with football than Panini.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Maybe it is cardboard karma for Panini who started all this exclusive stuff back with basketball and then football. Hockey and baseball wouldn't have followed suit if Panini didn't bully the NBA into first doing it. It is a domino effect that no collectors really want but if Panini isn't going to allow others into basketball or football then they shouldn't be allowed into hockey or baseball.

Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I think most folks will tell you they do not like a exclusive but that falls on the many sport organizations that have allowed this. If we truly did not like it we could do something about it in my opinion but there not enough folks who can follow thru on their dislike of the exclusive.

What products do you like that Panini puts out? You state Topps gives you the same old tired products. Do you not see Panini doing the same thing by bunching out the same ole same ole product today as yesterday and years before while adding a few new additions.

@bblair_2002

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines
    Milwaukee Brewers

Personally I like the new Donruss cards. I think the 2016 - 2018, are a nice change from Topps. I think the 2018 Donruss Diamond Kings look sharp. The two things I don't like, is that they put out a card for anybody who ever suited up, and they don't have the team logo. Other than, that I'm happy that I can get something other than Topps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast