Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

The Future of Panthers' Luongo

While thinking about goalie things today, I found this interesting article today about Luongo. So I figured I would share it here!

https://thehockeywriters.com/florida...future-retire/

There was also another article mentioned in there that explains the potential cap trouble the Vancouver Canucks would be in if Luongo were to retire before the end of his mammoth contract.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...-cap-nightmare
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Another awesome goalie who is an equally great representative of hockey both on and off the ice. I really hope he's healthy and willing to play a couple of more seasons. I'd love him to see him join the 500 win club!

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Another awesome goalie who is an equally great representative of hockey both on and off the ice. I really hope he's healthy and willing to play a couple of more seasons. I'd love him to see him join the 500 win club!

Same here! I hope he finds a way to go the distance with his current contract. I woud hate to see the Canucks pinned with that cap penalty. Before this article I didn't even know that cap recapture rule existed on older contracts before the new CBA agreement to be honest. Especially since it was signed legally under the old CBA. That sucks so much.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I will be really surprised if he played out the entire contract. Looking at the salaries... this one is probably last year. MAYBE he sticks around for one more... but he won't play out those last two. I can virtually gaurentee you of that.

The whole re-capture thing is a joke anyway. It only applies if the player actually retires, and he won't.

Luongo will invent some kind of skin condition, or maybe insist that some lingering injury he's had for years, is now too much, and makes him unable to play.

He won't retire until the contract ends. This will mean neither the Canucks or Panthers get stuck with deferred cap hits... and he'll still get paid.

Think about it. If Luongo signs he papers, and retires following the 19-20 season (the max, latest, hypothetical, he actually plays):
    - Florida gets a Cap hit of 73k for two years (doesn't matter much)
    - Vancouver gets a Cap hit of 4.26m for two years (that's a big deal)
    - Roberto gets paid $0 real dollars

If Luongo's career is simply over due to injury:
    - Vancouver take a cap hit of $0
    - Florida has a cap hit of 5.33m (x2 years) that moves to the LTIR, so it won't actually effect their cap. They COULD trade him to ARI, where he can play with Pronger, Datsyuk, Hossa, Bolland, and a host of other ex-NHL stars, where his cap hit might be used to save ARI real dollars (assuming FLA doesn't want the same thing)
    - Luongo will get 1.0m in each of those two years, in real money. I'd be willing to bet FLA will have to pay it themselves, as the insurance companies are likely smarter than NHL rule makers..... they probably should have refused to insure the last 3 years of this contract, knowing full well he'd be "hurt" and unable to play.

If you want to see something wild, look up the potential Shea Weber cap-re-capture penalty. Weber has it in his power to personally ruin the 2025-26 season for the Preds. If he retired after the 24-25 season (one year left on his deal) then Nashville would take a Cap hit of just over $24.5m for the 25-26 season.

Same here! I hope he finds a way to go the distance with his current contract. I woud hate to see the Canucks pinned with that cap penalty. Before this article I didn't even know that cap recapture rule existed on older contracts before the new CBA agreement to be honest. Especially since it was signed legally under the old CBA. That sucks so much.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

If you want to see something wild, look up the potential Shea Weber cap-re-capture penalty. Weber has it in his power to personally ruin the 2025-26 season for the Preds. If he retired after the 24-25 season (one year left on his deal) then Nashville would take a Cap hit of just over $24.5m for the 25-26 season.

Now that's just nuts.

And I suppose he could milk a lingering injury to not technically retire, as that would make the most sense.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Now that's just nuts.

And I suppose he could milk a lingering injury to not technically retire, as that would make the most sense.

Look at Hossa. Same thing. The skin condition i believe is real... but it wasnt career ending. He was never going to play for $1m a season. He was always going to find a reason not to play. Luongo and Weber are no different.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Sports Card Forum mobile app

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yeah that Weber one is a major bullet dodged for the Habs--imagine if they were responsible for it; you think people are already roasting Bergevin, yikes!!!!

I hope that with the surgery essentially repairing his knee to like-new status, it will extend his career for a couple extra seasons. Every so often a freak of nature comes around (i.e. Chara) and is capable of playing at a high level to 40 and beyond. Weber takes a similar level of care for himself, so one can hope he's still going strong for many years yet.

Roberto...have to think he's getting close to the end of the line. He's been living the dream down in Florida (gets to play a game he loves, minimal pressure, great weather, etc.) the last few years but you have to think at some point the organization is going to ease him out the door to get some fresh young blood between the pipes.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Another added bonus for when Luongo retires .... more @strombone1 on twitter!