http://m.startribune.com/paraplegic-...ore/490002691/

Michael Johnson's big grin never seems to disappear because he is doing what he loves.

The smile sticks out as he drives the No. 54 Audi for JDC-Miller Motorsports in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge. So does his other set of wheels — the wheelchair he uses when he's not behind the wheel.

"I do it (racing) to get myself out of the wheelchair. It's a big thing," said Johnson, who is paralyzed from the waist down. "I'm a totally separate person (in the car). I don't have to deal with any of the stresses in life. I can really just focus on what I'm really good at — driving a race car and having fun doing it."

The native of Flint, Michigan, is one of a handful of disabled race car drivers competing worldwide at the top levels. One of his heroes, former open-wheel star Alex Zanardi, lost his lower legs in a crash in Germany nearly two decades ago. Now 51, Zanardi, a two-time CART champion who also drove in Formula One, returned to racing, won in world touring cars and is still driving .

Turns out the 25-year-old Johnson is good enough to win, too. Johnson and co-driver Stephen Simpson combined for their first win on July 21 at Lime Rock, Connecticut. It was their third straight podium of the season and another positive sign for Johnson in his recovery from a devastating crash.

"It's been a fantastic evolution," said Simpson, who's helped coach Johnson for the past seven years. "We've gone on a long road together."

Johnson won 14 national motorcycle championships by age 12 and was on the cusp of landing a deal for a permanent ride with a manufacturer when his budding career skidded to a dramatic halt on a dirt track in Canada in 2005. He was involved in a crash in Sarnia, Ontario, suffering a broken collarbone, broken left ankle, broken left leg, broken ribs and, worst of all, two fractured vertebrae in his back, which caused the paralysis.

The first thing out of his mouth was, "Don't make me quit racing," said his father, Tim, a former motorcycle racer.

Four rods and 15 screws were inserted in Michael's back during an 11-hour operation. Johnson spent a couple of months in the hospital and another month at home in bed.

"It happens in racing, so I'm not going to dwell on it," Johnson said. "That was 13 years ago. I've moved on."

On Christmas Eve 2006, Johnson took a spin in a specially equipped go-kart with hand controls in the parking lot of his father's phosphate coating business, which has allowed the family to help him pursue his dreams.

"It was a good feeling," he said. "That's when everything started."

After getting clearance from his doctors, Johnson won a go-kart title and his career on four wheels began a rapid ascent.