Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Inserts

Quote Originally Posted by Thick McRunfast View Post
    The collation was pretty crummy, but I've since completed the set.
    Wasn't that the worst collation of any set of all time? I remember reading a baseball card blog that broke tons of junk wax boxes and the guy pretty much came up with that set being the worst after talking to other "junk wax experts". He broke box after box and was still something like 8 cards short and he had like 15 duplicates of multiple guys. I don't remember how many boxes he had to break until he could get every card for a complete set but I had the same issues breaking that stuff back then. Would be curious to actually see more data like that but the blogs have seemed to die out and they just don't provide the cool content like that. Probably not cool to anybody else but I know I would/was interested in what set had the worst collation of all time.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

2. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    Wasn't that the worst collation of any set of all time? I remember reading a baseball card blog that broke tons of junk wax boxes and the guy pretty much came up with that set being the worst after talking to other "junk wax experts". He broke box after box and was still something like 8 cards short and he had like 15 duplicates of multiple guys. I don't remember how many boxes he had to break until he could get every card for a complete set but I had the same issues breaking that stuff back then. Would be curious to actually see more data like that but the blogs have seemed to die out and they just don't provide the cool content like that. Probably not cool to anybody else but I know I would/was interested in what set had the worst collation of all time.
    Yeah, the collation in my box of '88 Score was awful, so I can imagine it would be ranked way up there on the all-time list.

I think part of the problem had to do with the different colored borders on the cards. Each pack went in a particular order. For example, the first three cards in a pack would be blue-bordered cards, the next three would be purple, the next three would be yellow, and so on. Because of that alone, you're bound to get more duplicates than normal. But even on top of that, I also noticed that sometimes those same exact three cards (or at least two of the three) would appear in another pack, in the same exact order! So immediately you'd have two or three duplicates.

Here's the math:
    There are 660 cards in the complete set. 36 packs per box, 17 cards per pack = 612 cards. After opening all 36 packs, I think I still needed about 200 cards to complete the set.

However, for $14.99 it was a whole lot of fun, and opening those packs brought back some great memories!
    Last edited by Thick McRunfast; 08-15-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thick McRunfast View Post
    Yeah, the collation in my box of '88 Score was awful, so I can imagine it would be ranked way up there on the all-time list.

I think part of the problem had to do with the different colored borders on the cards. Each pack went in a particular order. For example, the first three cards in a pack would be blue-bordered cards, the next three would be purple, the next three would be yellow, and so on. Because of that alone, you're bound to get more duplicates than normal. But even on top of that, I also noticed that sometimes those same exact three cards (or at least two of the three) would appear in another pack, in the same exact order! So immediately you'd have two or three duplicates.

Here's the math:
    There are 660 cards in the complete set. 36 packs per box, 17 cards per pack = 612 cards. After opening all 36 packs, I think I still needed about 200 cards to complete the set.

However, for $14.99 it was a whole lot of fun, and opening those packs brought back some great memories!
    Same company, different set... 1989 and 1990 Sportflics.

I bought a case of each for next to nothing with the intention of building a set of each and using the remainders as giveaways to kids when I would setup at card shows. It took all but 4 boxes of each before I found the final 3 cards I needed. Same deal here with getting the same 3 cards every time in a pack. If you got a Wade Boggs card, you were guaranteed to get the same 2 cards in that pack as you got in your last pack with Wade Boggs.

The price/nostalgia factor is one reason I love Junk Wax. Plus, a lot of those players sign TTM... So, there's that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12