Lafleur nearly joined Gretzky with Kings 30 years ago

The Montreal Canadiens' all-time points leader had been retired for about four years, but for Guy Lafleur, the magnetic pull of Wayne Gretzky was undeniable.

In August of 1988, a week after the Los Angeles Kings shocked the hockey world by acquiring Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers, Lafleur loved the idea of suiting up again, this time as a teammate of The Great One.

It wouldn't come to pass, and Lafleur signed a one-year contract with the New York Rangers with a one-year option before the forward finished his jump-started career by playing two more seasons with the Quebec Nordiques. But the idea of playing with Gretzky, his teammate with Canada at the 1981 Canada Cup, was of huge appeal to Lafleur and the Kings.
    https://www.nhl.com/news/guy-lafleur...go/c-299702554
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

Country
    SCF Rewards

Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta

I never heard about this before. Cool story!
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content
    Base cards available: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by odjickfan View Post
    I never heard about this before. Cool story!
    Neither had I hence the share.

Don
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

As a huge gretzky fan growing up I remember this quite well, I recall Guy having more interest then the kings did....I dont think it would have been a good fit
    Bobby Ryan PC
    1074/1179 91.1%
    1/1's and Plates: 10

Wow, very interesting. That would have been amazing, to see those two greats together.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    I collect: Kurri, '70s Kelloggs and Topps hockey, football, and baseball cards, vintage stars and World Series subset cards.

Cool to learn of this. I occasionally get kind of a “Hulk Hogan was almost Metallica’s bass player” vibe when I see stuff like this, but it’s nice to see actual facts to back up the story. Would have been sad to see Guy lose to the Habs in 93 though.

Sent from my iPhone using SportsCardForum
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 241 Unique Cards + 14 1/1's!!!

2018-19 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Brendan Gallagher, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Iheartjacquie View Post
    As a huge gretzky fan growing up I remember this quite well, I recall Guy having more interest then the kings did....I dont think it would have been a good fit
    Agree

That assumes that Guy wouldn't have been the missing ingredient to put the Kings over the top. I mean... how often did a team featuring both Larry Robinson & Guy Lafleur actually lose in a SCF ?

Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    Cool to learn of this. I occasionally get kind of a “Hulk Hogan was almost Metallica’s bass player” vibe when I see stuff like this, but it’s nice to see actual facts to back up the story. Would have been sad to see Guy lose to the Habs in 93 though.

Sent from my iPhone using SportsCardForum

Cool article!

I remember being on a family vacation in Los Angeles during the time when Guy Lafleur was with the Nordiques. My dad bought us tickets to a Kings game, and It happened to be Lafleur's very last game at the Great Western Forum. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, at one point during the game he flew up the ice, crossed the Kings blue line, wound up for a big slapshot, and scored!

At the end of the game he did a victory lap, and the Los Angeles crowd gave him a standing ovation. I was just a kid getting into hockey and didn't know much about Lafleur at the time, but it was definitely a "Whoa, who in the world is this guy?" type of moment.
    Last edited by Thick McRunfast; 08-13-2018 at 10:56 AM.