Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

New Museum Add Part 2 of 3. Ssssmokin! Jim "The Net Detective" Carey Joins the Museum

Allllrighty then! Before I begin, I start with my usual preamble. As everyone knows, I made a very uncharacteristic trade recently. Ultimately me and the other party were discussing a possible trade for the last 4-5 years and eventually we reached an agreement on a three-for-one deal. I shared my first part of it a couple of days ago, and today we will see the second. The third will come tomorrow.

But before we begin, don't forget to "LIKE" Bruce C. Goaltending Museum on Facebook and "FOLLOW" us on Twitter!

Onto the show! Why, because I gotta! (I swear that's the last of the Jim Carrey references)

Born on May 31, 1974 in Dorcester, Massachusetts, Jim Carey was the 32nd overall pick of the 1992 NHL Entry Draft, being chosen by the Washington Capitals. Coming off of a strong high school hockey career, he represented the USA in the 1993 World Juniors, splitting a 2-2 record in the process. After a year of University hockey, he transitioned to the pros in 1994-95 with the Portland Pirates, where he put up very strong numbers. That also earned him "the chance". On March 2, 1995, he made his NHL debut against the New York Islanders and he stopped 21 of 24 shots in a 4-3 victory. From that point on, he was a full-time roster member of the Caps, appearing in 28 games for the team down the stretch, and even supplanting Byron Dafoe and Olaf Kolzig as the team's starter come playoff time, however the team lost in seven games to Pittsburgh in the first round. Despite his late season start, he was voted third for the Vezina Trophy that year. The following season, Carey continued his brilliant play, appearing in 71 games, and recording a career best with nine shutouts and 35 wins. That play earned him the Vezina Trophy, however, he struggled in the playoffs. The following season, he struggled to regain his form and recorded lower than average numbers by his standards. As a result, he was traded to the Boston Bruins in the deal that saw Adam Oates, Rick Tocchet and Bill Ranford join the Caps. Carey played two average seasons with Boston and he was ultimately released by the team in 1999. St. Louis signed him the day he was released, however, after recording a 0.829% save average with a 3.87GAA in four games, he was sent to the minors with Cincinnati. There, he played two solid games before suffering an ear injury that kept him from ever coming back to the game.

In his NHL career, Carey appeared in 172 games and he recorded a 79-65-16 career record with a 2.58GAA, 16 shutouts and a 0.898% save average. In 10 playoff games, he recorded a 2-5 record with a 4.62GAA and a 0.816% save average.

What you are looking at right now is a 1994-95 AHL All-Star Game worn jersey used by Carey on January 17, 1995 shortly prior to his departure from the minors and to the "show" in March. Despite it being used in the all-star game alone, it has a fair bit of sweat staining visible, as well as some marks on the rear of the jersey near the number. A stunning piece from the first major sign that he would be a solid goalie in the NHL.

Acquired from: Anthony Chighisola

Dates of Game Use:
    January 17, 1995 USA v Canada (7-11, 6-4L)

Photomatched: Not yet

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Man, now that is one sharp jersey. Great All-Star game pickup! Wow.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia Flyers
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Sick jersey! Cant go wrong with a little scribble to!