Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying boxes and packs on eBay

If you're 0/1 on a factory sealed box, I don't think that's enough of a sample set to swear off eBay. There are reasonable precautions to take, read the seller's reviews, buy from reputable stores via their eBay page, yadda yadda yadda. But like it's been said, it's unlikely you're buying old cardboard from the original retailer. I doubt one shop will still be open from 1989, much less still sitting on unopened boxes of UD. And, even if you bought a sealed box brand new in 1989 and sat on it, you're still not guaranteed to hit a Griffey. For your oh-fer box, somebody's bragging about the day he hit for two Griffeys in one box (and then immediately lost $100 playing the lottery).
    Custom Cards: Hidden Content
    Unboxing & Pack Crack Videos: coming soon to YouTube.

Collecting: Panini Stars & Stripes, Topps Heritage, minor league & indy ball team sets, BBM & Calbee
    Stadiums visited: 27 (Most Recent: Fitton Field, Worcester Bravehearts)

You also have to remember that there are 36 packs with 15 cards per pack in a box. That totals 540 cards. There are 700 cards in a set (800 for high number). Therefore, you probably only get a Griffey in 3 out of 4 boxes, and not unreasonable to think that this is a problem.

I would be more wary of the newer boxes that say that there is 1 special card in a box, and you are only buying packs, but it probably is not worth the sellers effort to fake something like this.
    PC Barry Bonds, Jason Varitek, and Larry Bird. WTTF cards I don't have.
    Set Want List: Hidden Content

I recently thought about putting the '89 Upper Deck set together from scratch, mostly from wax boxes. I thought it would be neat to have the inaugural set even though I'm not an UD collector per se. And then yes I remembered the Griffey Jr. RC, saw what the boxes were going for and quickly passed. Like everyone else said the value just isn't there from a risk/reward standpoint. Even if you do gamble and hit the Griffey Jr. RC you're not assured it's going to be a high end copy.

I will only buy newer wax from wholesalers period. That way I know 100% that the product has not been tampered with on any level. When you're spending this kind of money you should have just as good of odds as anybody else. My problem with eBay is that the majority of these sellers, even if doing so as a reputable business, have such low personnel overhead that their product isn't changing many hands before it gets to the consumer so the opportunity is easily there to be unscrupulous.
    - Baseball Trade List Hidden Content
    - Basketball Trade List Hidden Content

- Set Needs
    Hidden Content

I think it's best just to buy individual cards that you like. Rather than spend hundreds of dollars buying boxes of cards, and getting stuck with thousands of cards you can't sell. You can spend that money on having a few nice cards

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

@Nostalgykone

Just curious, what makes the products lack of changing hands a bad thing? I would think that the fewer "middle men" their are between the card company and the consumer, the less room there is for shenanigans.

When I mean fewer hands involved I was commenting from a retail level. Like the small Mom & Pop shop that busts wax and sells on eBay to help supplement their business. With the cost of the hobby today, and the ease of online shopping, I just have more faith in a large wholesaler that my wax purchases are going to be more consistent over the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by CardsAndPhils View Post
    @Nostalgykone

Just curious, what makes the products lack of changing hands a bad thing? I would think that the fewer "middle men" their are between the card company and the consumer, the less room there is for shenanigans.
    - Baseball Trade List Hidden Content
    - Basketball Trade List Hidden Content

- Set Needs
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Manwhosolddaworld View Post
    I bought a factory-sealed box of ‘89 Upper Deck on eBay a few years ago and got no Griffeys. I know that’s not impossible from an odds perspective but ever since I’ve been gun shy about buying anything unopened on eBay, for fear stuff can be tampered with and searched, then resealed.

Tell me I’m being silly.

There’s some stuff I want to buy again.

Haha thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Sports Card Forum mobile app
    I've never had an issue...... You're not going to get the hits you want every time, especially when it comes to a set that has 600+ cards in it....

Ironically I pulled a Griffey today out of a "lot/pack" my non-profit work sells.. Not only the Girffey but Maddux 87 Donruss rookies, Bonds, Canseco's.... The Girffey's corner was dinged tho so .... But for 75 cents what the heck.... I've got a huge stack of junk wax era stars sitting in front of me....

The only thing that makes the Griffey iconic is that it was a "chase card"..... I think it's profoundly overvalued.... Sure 89 UD was considered "premium" but I don't see why the UD is worth more than the Donruss....

Also, did you know there was a 1988 UD? indeed there was...

At any rate - last month I bought 6 blasters of 16-17 UD and 5 15-16 UD from Dave & Adams Card World (I believe that's their name) and pulled both the Matthews YG and McDavid YG Canvas and it only cost me $170....

Just remember when you buy boxes - remember the size of the sets you're buying... If you buy a box of cards with a set of 300 your odds are MUCH higher of getting your hits than you would be if you bought a box of cards with a set of 600+..... 1989 UD has 800 cards - how many cards do you think was in that box? 500? - there are a ton of players you didn't get......
    Last edited by Savard18; 09-21-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SchmidtStache View Post
    If you're 0/1 on a factory sealed box, I don't think that's enough of a sample set to swear off eBay. There are reasonable precautions to take, read the seller's reviews, buy from reputable stores via their eBay page, yadda yadda yadda. But like it's been said, it's unlikely you're buying old cardboard from the original retailer. I doubt one shop will still be open from 1989, much less still sitting on unopened boxes of UD. And, even if you bought a sealed box brand new in 1989 and sat on it, you're still not guaranteed to hit a Griffey. For your oh-fer box, somebody's bragging about the day he hit for two Griffeys in one box (and then immediately lost $100 playing the lottery).
    I buy lots of 10-20 boxes on ebay all the time, sometimes you get a dud.... But like I said in a previous post - there are 800 cards in that set, now look at a set like 1991-92 Pro Set Platinum hockey that only has 200 cards, you can get at least 2 sets out of every Platinum box, but it's not possible to make a set of 1989 UD on one box - hence no Griffey...

IMO, if the OP wanted the Griffey he should have just saved 20-30 bucks and bought the card and purchased something less expensive if he wanted to open cards - there is plenty of stuff out there that is dirt cheap that is a thrill to break...... Buy a box of 1987 Donruss or Topps - loaded with rookies and less than 40 bucks..

FWIW, I read somewhere (for the life of me, I can't find it now) that the UD Griffey RC is the most graded card of all time... Just to give you an idea of how many there are out there.

It's really easy to conceal a tampered box. I would look at the factory sealing very carefully or return it. Just buy the 89 Griffey. if you need I have graded versions of it.
    my for trade and for sale site can be seen here: Hidden Content
    My for sale on eBay: Hidden Content
    on packrip: Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12