Stars Re-Sign Seguin to Mega-Deal, Post Best Announcement on Twitter

The Dallas Stars have signed @tseguinofficial to an 8-year contract extension through 2026-27 at an AAV of $9.85 million.

And here's the best part:

https://twitter.com/DallasStars/stat...85920858136576
    https://twitter.com/DallasStars/stat...85920858136576
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 241 Unique Cards + 14 1/1's!!!

2018-19 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Brendan Gallagher, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content

2. Find Hockey Cards on Kronozio!!
    Worth every penny.
    That Mario video was great! I liked that the Blues are the final boss ;)
    Wanted: Blues #'d, AU, GU. Especially Federko, CuJo, Hull, MacInnis, Demitra, Tarasenko
    Traders on Flickr - Hidden Content
    I auto-accept 20% off on Hidden Content

This could come back to bite them in 6 years. They are doing way too long of contracts in the NHL. They need to go to 3-5 year deals again.

He's 26 years old.

While it's likely he'll start to decline around around 32..... making that money until age 34 (I don't think) will ever hurt them too bad.

He's eating up about 12.4% of the cap today. 6 years from now, when you have to worry about a decline, you can also expect the cap to be more like $90m (and probably closer to$95) instead of the (current) $79.5. That number (in relation to the cap) will be hovering around 10%. They'll be able to fit him in as a "somewhat overpaid, no longer elite" player for a couple of years.

Giving the 8 year deals to guys that are still 26 (or younger) is fine, IMO. They're overpaying for two declining years, to get 6 prime years locked up at a reasonable cost.

It's when the get even slightly older you have to worry. Even a year older... that split is now 5-3. For a 28 year old, you have to expect that they'll be past their prime for half the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sparty07 View Post
    This could come back to bite them in 6 years. They are doing way too long of contracts in the NHL. They need to go to 3-5 year deals again.

The announcement video was awesome

I don’t think this is a terrible contract, none of the years are going to be 35+, so there is nothing to worry about there if he can’t play and has to retire.

What people tend to forget is the taxes. Taxes in Texas are better today than they are in Ontario or New York, etc. So this deal, my guess, on par with the Tavares on annual take home value.

Sent from my iPhone using Sports Card Forum mobile app
    If you have unwanted cards you are looking to purge, please consider a donation to my family's mission in helping to find a cure for Olivia's disorder Diamond Blackfan Anemia. Cards donated will be sold on eBay, COMC or locally in the Buffalo/Niagara area to support the Hidden Content .
    ---
    Shipping done on Saturdays for all Addresses
    ---
    Contact me for any site related issues
    =====
    Support SCF Sponsors

Interesting point.

I just looked it up.....based on 2018 numbers

Tavares' take home will be (about) 5.148m
    Seguins's will be a hair of 6.00

That's actually pretty incredible when you think about. Signs for about 10% less, but takes home about 15% more.

Quote Originally Posted by scottkoz20 View Post
    The announcement video was awesome

I don’t think this is a terrible contract, none of the years are going to be 35+, so there is nothing to worry about there if he can’t play and has to retire.

What people tend to forget is the taxes. Taxes in Texas are better today than they are in Ontario or New York, etc. So this deal, my guess, on par with the Tavares on annual take home value.

Sent from my iPhone using Sports Card Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by 30ranfordfan View Post
    Interesting point.

That's actually pretty incredible when you think about. Signs for about 10% less, but takes home about 15% more.
    im sure this part of the reason that Stamkos ultimately resigned in Tampa, no Florida state taxes. Same thing with Nevada - they all have a unique advantage as it relates to paying players. Look at Pacoiretty's deal with Vegas...
    If you have unwanted cards you are looking to purge, please consider a donation to my family's mission in helping to find a cure for Olivia's disorder Diamond Blackfan Anemia. Cards donated will be sold on eBay, COMC or locally in the Buffalo/Niagara area to support the Hidden Content .
    ---
    Shipping done on Saturdays for all Addresses
    ---
    Contact me for any site related issues
    =====
    Support SCF Sponsors

Quote Originally Posted by 30ranfordfan View Post
    Interesting point.

Welcome to the curse that all Canadian teams face. Someone did the math after Pacioretty signed his deal with Vegas for 4yrs $28M ($7M AAV). The Habs would have had to pay him $9.87M per for the same take-home pay.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 241 Unique Cards + 14 1/1's!!!

2018-19 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Brendan Gallagher, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content