Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks

Question for my fellow 18/19 O-PEE-CHEE- set collectors

So as most of you know I collect the OPC Base (100-600) and retro sets every year as well as the update sets for both. So I have a couple of questions for my fellow set collectors.

1) How do you feel about no rainbow (foil) cards in this years set?

2) How has collation (base and retro) been so far?

As for me;

1) I have no problem with no foil cards in this years set. It seems as there is not a big demand for these cards except by player collectors. Also it's time UD changes it up a little.

2) I just separated the 3 boxes I just picked up and for the first time EVER I have absolutely no doubles of any card. Usually after the first 3 boxes I have a bunch of doubles of base and a handful
    of retros. I actually ended up needing 1 base card and 51 short prints to finish the base set. Also ended up with about 100 Retros for the set.

I usually buy anywhere between 6 and 10 boxes of OPC to finish my sets. Now I'm not sure how many more to buy to try and finish it up. It could be cheaper to get bulk lots of retro on Ebay then picking up more boxes since it's always so hard to trade off the base cards.

Thoughts?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm a big fan of LESS parallels these days because there are so many that it actually hurts a product. Like you said there was not big demand for them and I doubt that player collectors are too upset about them being removed. I would actually support a 25% drop in parallels across the board and I think it would be beneficial to the current collecting environment.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm a big fan of LESS parallels these days because there are so many that it actually hurts a product. Like you said there was not big demand for them and I doubt that player collectors are too upset about them being removed. I would actually support a 25% drop in parallels across the board and I think it would be beneficial to the current collecting environment.

There's actually more parallels in this year's product, not less, with the new silver and gold parallels.
    I liked the Rainbows, and wish they would have kept them over these new Silvers.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks

There's actually more parallels in this year's product, not less, with the new silver and gold parallels.
    I liked the Rainbows, and wish they would have kept them over these new Silvers.

Actually only one extra parallel this year, Gold

Silver = Rainbow
    Retro Black = Rainbow Black

Gold will be a tough one at one per box

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Miami (FL) Hurricanes
    See Zuback's Items on eBay

Juan,

I bought 3 boxes myself as this has become the norm for me. What I found out, was very similar to you this year. I had 10 doubles and needed like 6 base to finish the 1-500. I also ended up with 1/2 of the 500-600 cards for my set. As for retros, I ended up with aprox. 100. I made the decision to buy a couple of blaster boxes yesterday just to see what I would get. Found nothing for the regular set I could use, except for traders. But, I did get retro's I needed. I also found in the blaster boxes that I got 4 mini blacks, which I got none in the 3 hobby boxes I opened.

I am like you, I think buying retro's in bulk maybe the way to go for that set.

As for foils, though I don't collect them myself, I was a bit disappointed that UD went with the same card stock as the regular and retro. Likely this was done to save $, but the look was nice with the foil in the past. In saying that there still will be collectors out there who may actually get the black's etc at a discounted price as they do not have the same look as before. I did see an auction on Ebay for a lot of 44 OPC black's that had a starting bid of $49.99 and a Bin of $69.99, so for someone doing the OPC blacks this is a steal of a deal.

The one thing I thought was odd was to go with a Silver Version. I have come across what I thought was a regular set card and it was actually a Silver version as the color, at least to me, is very similar, unless you are paying attention.

I do like that the Retros are Green on the back. This makes it easier to tell what a Retro is. In the past, UD made it hard to tell a regular from a retro.

Overall, this is a set I do as it is part of my childhood. Plus, the chase to putting it together is fun, thought there are less and less people opening this set each year I find. Which makes it harder to put together thus I am finding I have to look to card shops more and eBay more.

Tony
    Last edited by Zuback; 09-15-2018 at 06:37 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice job on the boxes and almost completing the set!

I got 3 Hobby Boxes and 2 blaster packs and still need 120+ cards just for the 1-500 portion of the set.

I have probably 200-250 doubles. Didn't get a single double of the SP.

I have 75% of the base and 63% of the SP's so I think I am disappointed in how far I am still away from the set.

For me I like the Retro and look at the other harder to get parallels as trade pieces for things I want. Since I collect the main base only I don't mind it as I PC only one current player. If I was collecting as many sets as I could including parallels I would probably get frustrated at the daunting task that it is.

Like Tony said it reminds me of when I used to collect before I had stopped. The big set with almost every player. The cards remind me of those massive baseball sets from late 80's. I do like the fact that Scott Foster has a card - that was really cool.

Tim