Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I have been active with online trading and buying for almost two decades. I have never heard of a card being damaged due to scotch tape on a top loader.

Is he claiming that the card slid up and got tape residue on it? That would ONLY make sense if the top loader was too big... so the card slid around... and it was going to get damaged anyway.

The advantage of painters tape is that it comes off easier, and the top loader will be cleaner... but i could care less. I just use a clean one instead, and find another use for the dirty one.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Sports Card Forum mobile app

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rydlar99's Items on eBay

I hate receiving cards with scotch tape on the toploader. Yes I hate that it ruins the toploader, but my hatred of it runs deeper than that. Twice receiving rather pricey redemptions from UD with scotch tape on the loader (and never a team bag) has the scotch tape loosened and come off. Cards hanging out of the top loader was the end result, with the tape stuck to one side.

Needless to say, since starting buying/selling on eBay in 2011, and running box breaks from 2011-2014 I quickly moved to green painters tape.

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

I use scotch tape all the time, and have no issue receiving cards sent that way as well. BUT, cautionary tale! About three years I sold a complete ddm of Joey Hishon on ebay for $90 ($15 a letter) The buyer then contacted me and complained that one of the top loaders was covered in tape residue and was now unusable. I asked if all the cards were in mint shape and he agreed. I told him I was sorry for the top loader but I was selling him the cards and if they showed up in mint shape then we should be good to go. He told me he wanted a refund of $25 or he would open a case against me. I told him to go ahead. Ebay sided with him, although not for $20. They advised me I should give him a full refund and cover the shipping back to me. I offered the buyer $5 to purchase an entire pack of top loaders, he declined. He then told me he would be returning the cards first class priority mail at my expense. Trying to minimize my loss we agreed on a $15 refund. And after the refund..............he left me my first ever negative feedback ( I had already left positive when the initial transaction was completed) I protested to ebay and they would not remove it due to some unpleasant words that were exchanged in pm's (my fault, exchanged by both parties but as I said I had already left my feedback).......I still use scotch tape to this day with no problems since.....just sharing a cautionary tale
    Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I don't love it when scotch tape is used, as it means you typically have to used a different toploader. This is true especially since the top loader will be sticky one you remove the tape. Then the the toploaders tend to stick to one another. Its not a big deal, I would just prefer a seller to use the blue/green painters tape if they have it.

Personally, I love it because people tend to not want to use them and give them away. If you have any top loaders with scotch tape on them lmk. I will take all of them you have. If you have enough I will even kick in for shipping.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Tony,
    Thanks for sharing the link. Love the gif saying ever ever lol. Looks like your not alone in using scotch tape. I only use painter tape for the simplicity I can price the card as a added bonus plus holding the card securely.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Tony,
    Thanks for sharing the link. Love the gif saying ever ever lol. Looks like your not alone in using scotch tape. I only use painter tape for the simplicity I can price the card as a added bonus plus holding the card securely.

DON

Don (and everyone else),

If you look at the sample card I posted earlier, you will see that I use very little scotch tape. Just enough to cover the top but not enough to obscure the view.

With that small amount, this leaves very little adhesive so the arguments against its use are moot in my view. This small amount of tape and the adhesive can be very easily removed. I can understand hating scotch tape if the toploader is taped all over the place. I don't buy the hate if the amount is as little as I use. If you cannot remove that little amount of tape/adhesive, you're lazy.

Yes it is a pain in the butt when people over-tape their toploaders but if you are pressed for toploaders, they can be rescued. Remove the sleeve and card from the toploader and place it in a clean one. Then use goo gone to gently rub off the residue.

Don't tell me "buy more toploaders" because my nearest "local" card store is 270 kilometers (167 miles) away and I cannot buy them online because I don't have (and won't be getting) a credit card or PayPal account. I have to scavenge and rescue every toploader possible.

Don, I am in the same boat. If anyone has any spare toploaders, with tape on them or not, please let me know. I'll take some as well.
    Last edited by Leafsman; 09-22-2018 at 03:35 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Scotch tape is for amateurs, painter's tape all the way!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Tony,
    Look what I was doing when I stumbled across this thread. I keep a bottle on my desk lmao!

585635C5-D5DD-460A-A929-3AAC0B6AB9F0.jpeg

When I chat on the phone I have literally cleaned a few hundreds if not a thousand or more. I have a local store I just choose to save the dough especially on the thicker ones.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Scotch tape is for amateurs, painter's tape all the way!

I think sometimes it boils down to cost. Especially for those using a lot of tape LOL. I can only testify to how some folks tape the top loaders with so much tape it basically covered 100 percent. I certainly enjoy the painter tape but I am not going to preach about what is required as long as the card get to me safe and sound I could care less what kind of tape you use.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (169)
    Country

I use scotch tape all the time. I tried using painters tape for a time but it was not as adhesive and i found the tape came off one side of the toploader.
    I Collect RC's, Vintage Memorabilia & Low Numbered Auto's Of Star Players

FLICKR
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast