Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I prefer using masking take or painters tape as I like to use the toploaders again. Masking tape or painters tape leaves a sticky film on top loader. Just my opinion though.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

I use scotch tape all the time. I tried using painters tape for a time but it was not as adhesive and i found the tape came off one side of the toploader.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Also, scotch tape is much cheaper than painter's tape. The nearest Wal-mart sells it for $5 a roll. Problem is, that Wal-mart is 71 kilometers (44 miles) away. I'm not spending $30 on gasoline just to buy painter's tape. That's nonsensical. I can get 3-5 decent rolls of scotch tape in my local supermarket which is 10 kilometers (6 miles) away for that. For someone like me who is on a fixed income, that's important.
    Last edited by Leafsman; 09-22-2018 at 12:17 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks

^^^^THIS^^^^

Also, scotch tape is much cheaper than painter's tape. The nearest Wal-mart sells it for $5 a roll. Problem is, that Wal-mart is 71 kilometers (44 miles) away. I'm not spending $30 on gasoline just to buy painter's tape. That's nonsensical. I can get 3-5 decent rolls of scotch tape in my local supermarket which is 10 kilometers (6 miles) away for that. For someone like me who is on a fixed income, that's important.

I buy painters tape at the dollar store. If you have one close to you try it out. Another place to look is at local flea markets.

Either way I don't care if my cards come with scotch tape or painters. Never had an issue either way. I always replace them and use the old ones for shipping cards out. I actually don't tape the top loader, I tape the team bag good and tight.
    @doniceage I'll be bring you another stack of top loaders at next years National in Chicago.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Scotch tape on top-loaders bothers me because it almost always leaves dirty residue behind, but I really don't care all that much, I just toss those fouled top-loaders in the plastic recycling. It is just annoying when you can see that someone has packaged your card(s) with pride in BRAND NEW top-loaders and team-bags, only to see scotch tape, and then you end up with a residue smeared top-loader that goes straight into the recycling.

I prefer painters tape if/when required for shipping purposes, and I always fold over the edges to ensure clean and easy removal.

I prefer no tape whatsoever in my personal collection.

Now when it comes to card damage, I do remember a 2001-02 UD Ice rookie redemption that came in one of those flimsy plastic faux top-loaders from UD, and one of the cards shifted up during mailing and was directly taped down and it left permanent scotch tape residue that I could not get off. I ended up tossing that card in the plastic recycling just because the tape residue bothered me as I only have room for pristine cards in my collection.

Actual card damage from the responsible use of scotch tape is rare. I think it is fine for most people to use scotch tape in their personal collections, but UD should never use scotch tape because they simply just don't know how to and I doubt they ever will.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Like most of the members on here Tony, I'd rather that people use painters tape instead of scotch tape. That said, as long as the card arrives safely, I'm good.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Like most of the members on here Tony, I'd rather that people use painters tape instead of scotch tape. That said, as long as the card arrives safely, I'm good.

My point against using painters tape is that it simply does not stick to the toploader well enough and it is more expensive.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I buy painters tape at the dollar store. If you have one close to you try it out. Another place to look is at local flea markets.

Either way I don't care if my cards come with scotch tape or painters. Never had an issue either way. I always replace them and use the old ones for shipping cards out. I actually don't tape the top loader, I tape the team bag good and tight.
    @doniceage I'll be bring you another stack of top loaders at next years National in Chicago.

I live in a rural area.

The nearest commercial hub, which has a Wal-mart, two shopping malls, a couple of dollar stores, and a hardware store, is 71 kilometers (44 miles) away. I'm not spending $30 on gasoline just to buy painter's tape. That's nonsensical. I can get 3-5 decent rolls of scotch tape in my local supermarket which is 10 kilometers (6 miles) away for that. For someone like me who is on a fixed income, that's important.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Scotch tape on top-loaders bothers me because it almost always leaves dirty residue behind, but I really don't care all that much, I just toss those fouled top-loaders in the plastic recycling. It is just annoying when you can see that someone has packaged your card(s) with pride in BRAND NEW top-loaders and team-bags, only to see scotch tape, and then you end up with a residue smeared top-loader that goes straight into the recycling.

I prefer painters tape if/when required for shipping purposes, and I always fold over the edges to ensure clean and easy removal.

I prefer no tape whatsoever in my personal collection.

Now when it comes to card damage, I do remember a 2001-02 UD Ice rookie redemption that came in one of those flimsy plastic faux top-loaders from UD, and one of the cards shifted up during mailing and was directly taped down and it left permanent scotch tape residue that I could not get off. I ended up tossing that card in the plastic recycling just because the tape residue bothered me as I only have room for pristine cards in my collection.

Actual card damage from the responsible use of scotch tape is rare. I think it is fine for most people to use scotch tape in their personal collections, but UD should never use scotch tape because they simply just don't know how to and I doubt they ever will.

Did you see the scan of the card I provided? I don't use much tape.

If people used the amount of tape I do, why would you need to remove it? No removal means no residue.

I understand removing it if the tape goes halfway down the case or something but to remove the little amount I use doesn't make sense.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I think that the argument against scotch tape (or any gummy adhesive tape for that matter) has it's roots in stamp collecting. Have you ever seen a collection from 50 years ago that has tape? The glue has transformed into this yellow crystalline mess that soaks into the paper. I suppose that in the short term (the week or two it takes for a card to make it through the mail) this adhesive doesn't really have the properties to and/or time to soak into the top of the card should it come into contact. I know that if the card is a little thicker (patches, etc) I will sometimes loop a penny sleeve over the top of the card for shipping just in case something comes off of the tape.

I think what is of greater concern is that adhesive tape IS A CONSTITUENT INGREDIENT OF HOCKEY CARDS!! Did you know that most Upper Deck and Panini jersey cards use two-sided tape to hold the memorabilia in? What is that going to look like in 50 years? What about sticker autos? Card companies should spend some time looking into the longevity of their prod...wait a second... they don't care at all do they? They barely have customer service returns (with the exception of Panini, who has been pretty great).

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Much appreciated!!

Look forward to seeing you at next years National though I might just attend.to enjoy the show spending all the time diving thru bind.
    @zunato

Don

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast