I think thieves should have their fingers and hands removed, depending on the severity/value of the theft. Minors should receive a branded mark on the back of their hand for the first offense.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Maybe card companies will have to start putting micro-GPS chips in their big hits, like 1/1 cards and HOF multi-auto cards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thick McRunfast View Post
    Maybe card companies will have to start putting micro-GPS chips in their big hits, like 1/1 cards and HOF multi-auto cards, etc.
    Good idea in theory, but I wouldn't want anyone to have the ability to know where I was keeping a $30k card...
    Then you have the hackers. Someone could hack into the GPS system and find out where unopened product containing a specific card was located. It'd take out the anonymity of pulling a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    Good idea in theory, but I wouldn't want anyone to have the ability to know where I was keeping a $30k card...
    Then you have the hackers. Someone could hack into the GPS system and find out where unopened product containing a specific card was located. It'd take out the anonymity of pulling a hit.
    Oof. Good point there.

You think that there should be a web site people could post their stolen cards so other dealers or collectors can be on the watch for anything that was offered for sale to them. I can't believe these thieves are doing this to just add to thier collections, it has to be for money. Maybe fund the website and keep it updated with a percentage of the cards worth if recovered. Just get the site info out to dealers at the card shows across the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by cornwellfamily View Post
    You think that there should be a web site people could post their stolen cards so other dealers or collectors can be on the watch for anything that was offered for sale to them. I can't believe these thieves are doing this to just add to thier collections, it has to be for money. Maybe fund the website and keep it updated with a percentage of the cards worth if recovered. Just get the site info out to dealers at the card shows across the nation.
    I could see that working well for serial-numbered cards, especially if the serial number was also posted across social media. Pretty soon the industry would know to look out for that particular number (e.g., 3/10) if and when it came up for sale.

The problem is that the person who stole the card would probably know this too, and would be very careful about selling it any way other than in-person (and probably to another crook), so there's no paper trail or digital record. And if the card did eventually come up for sale on a website somewhere, who knows how many times it had exchanged hands and been bought/sold at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by cornwellfamily View Post
    Wouldn't help in the case of most cards. In this example, what would stop the thief from cracking open the graded encapsulation and resubmitting?

I'm amazed that PSA doesn't offer a service where cards are marked with an invisible strand of unique DNA to help identify cards that are cracked out of cases. They did something similar 20 years ago when Sosa and McGwire were chasing Maris to identify and authenticate each HR ball. It would also eliminate people from cracking and re-submitting in an attempt at a higher grade. While that might be part of why they don't do it (as they make money on each resubmission), I would think it would also help build their integrity in the hobby (for the reasons mentioned above with theft, and a "we stand by our grading so much we've permanently stamped it on the card" angle).