Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Montreal Canadiens
    See alexandrechayer's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

1990-91 Upper-Deck Variation Holgram ?

Do you have any information about the Hologram variation ?

1- 1990-91 Upper Deck ( 1-550 )
    ..................................'90.................................................. ...................'90 reversed
    Patrick-Roy 90 ok.jpg or Patrick-Roy nok.jpg

2- 1990-91 Upper Deck '90 BB Hologram Back ( 1-400 )
    ........................ only Upper-Deck writed
    Patrick-Roy BB.jpg

3- 1990-91 Upper Deck '90 Comic Ball Hologram Back ( 1-400 )
    ......................................NO Information

4- 1990-91 Upper Deck '91-92 Hologram Back ( 401-550 )
    ..................................MLB Logo
    Patrick-Roy hockey.jpg
    Last edited by Hanifin; 03-14-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I became aware that this (might) exist recently.

It refers to the little UD hologram on the back of the card. Basically: Not all copies of each card had the correct hologram added to it.

1-400 is Series 1, 401-550 is Series 2. Basically the entire set exists with the correct hologram from 1990-91 Upper Deck Hockey. There are two variations (Baseball, and Comic Ball) for series 1, and one variation (91-92 UD Hockey) for series 2.

I have no idea how to go about tracking these down though.

Here's what the back of a 90-91 UD card should look like:

Here's the back of a 91-92 UD card:

1990-91 Baseball:

And 90-91 Comic Ball:

That these variations have been reported, likely means they do - in fact - exist. The problem is.... how many people know they have them? How many people will search for them? You could use a site like COMC to look at the backs of all the copies they have of a particular player.... maybe you'd find it? Maybe not.
    Last edited by 30ranfordfan; 02-20-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Note: Looking at the pics, I can't even tell the difference between the last two.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I saw something on this about a year ago and sorted through all my Lemieux's that I had and found many of the versions. So Lemieux had 3 cards in 1990 #59, 144, 305. I found the correct sticker which looks like crossed hockey sticks, one that has 91 in the Hologram, one that is Baseballs (from the 1990 Baseball set) and then a small 90 Hologram, which I was told is the Comic Ball Hologram. Then don't forget the French versions, those I have been able to find 3 of the 4 on those. I just did not have a large enough sample of French to pull from. The hardest part is knowing what you are looking at, most of them are not very good and you have to look at the light several ways to get it. I figured since I found 4 versions I was happy and not chasing the others just yet, I might at some point. I tried to scan the hologram but that did not work well either, I might try something else and see...

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think they're just a rumor, or are by far more rare than portrayed...

There is also a rumor that 1990-91 Pro Set has variations of traded players without the the Yellow "traded" stripe down the side..... Despite how believable that variation would be considering how riddled with errors and variations that set is -- I have never seen one of these cards, and I have tried to find them..

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Montreal Canadiens
    See alexandrechayer's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

I found many differents holograms....

" 90 " in right side = Regular holo
    " 06 " in over side = 90 BB Holo
    mini "06 " in over side = Comic ball
    Only " Upper Deck " = 91-92 Hologram Back

Help me please.... Lmk if my answer are good....
    Last edited by Hanifin; 03-14-2019 at 08:33 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

90-91 UD hologram Variations

The best way to see the hologram types is to photograph them rather than scan them.

if I have time this week I will put up some decent pics. It is easier to see the holograms if you have a small single point light source. I put a desk lamp behind me / over my shoulder. It makes crunching a few thousand singles pretty fast. I am working on a hologram set of all the superstars (Gretz, Lemieux, Roy, Yzerman, Salic, Messier, etc) and major RC.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Upper Deck Hologram Variations with Photos

The best way to see the hologram types is to photograph them rather than scan them.

if I have time this week I will put up some decent pics. It is easier to see the holograms if you have a small single point light source. I put a desk lamp behind me / over my shoulder. It makes crunching a few thousand singles pretty fast. I am working on a hologram set of all the superstars (Gretz, Lemieux, Roy, Yzerman, Salic, Messier, etc) and major RC.

There has been some major confusion on these holograms. The easiest way to view them is to go into a dark room (or at least with a single source of light), turn your cell phone light on (or a small flashlight), hold it at your nose pointing outward, and view the hologram. Some holograms are confusing because of breaks in the foil. Once you know what to look for, all of the four hologram varieties are easy to spot. I can crush an 800 count 2 row box of hologram searching in about 20 minutes.

Here are the types:

(1) “90 Hockey Sticks” Hologram
    1A994AC2-00A2-4C30-9F20-7A6ABF7FF2F5.jpeg14D505DF-E4AF-42C5-B962-BFB57592B3A9.jpeg
    “90 hockey sticks” variety seems to be the most common version. If the hologram is upside down (as about half of them are) it will read “06”. Sometimes the “90” will be double exposed. I have also found breaks in the hologram, both vertically and horizontally.

(2) “91” Hologram
    1A370940-9B8F-4B3F-98FF-7DA438BED0FE.jpeg4462EC5B-E341-42A6-9E9F-9DAD680265DE.jpeg
    There is a “91” hologram that I suspect was used primarily for the high series (remember that high series packs has singles from the low series in them!). These are rarer than the regular “90 hockey sticks” variety, but not at all as rare as the “Looney Tunes / Comic Ball” or baseball varieties shown below.

(3) “Carrot” or “Comic Ball” Hologram
    2B0EFC9F-9484-42BC-B508-8DB680A62E16.jpeg66F107CD-6457-445D-997A-59787655CCF1.jpeg
    The Looney Tunes / Comic Ball “Carrot” hologram will have many small “90”s and also a repeating carrot pattern (Bugs Bunny). Key rookies and superstar cards will command a premium on the regular issue, but most common cards are 5/$1. These are decently rare, but not as rare as the baseball holograms. The name comic ball comes from the Looney Tunes set of cartoon sports cards - Comic Ball (or more properly, Comic Baseball) featured a number of cartoons playing a fanciful baseball game.

(4) “Baseball” Hologram
    A5FE5DCC-6CAB-49AF-BA90-CD1DE246B139.jpeg
    Rarest of all is the baseball hologram. This seems to be the one variety of hologram that commands a decent premium (commons are a couple of bucks each).

I hope that helps! I am working on a set of Comic Ball and Baseball holograms... so please let me know if you have any extras you would be willing to part with.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for clearing that up Raincock.

I have a ton of all of them, I certainly have a bunch of Patrick Roy's with all of the variations including plenty of the baseball..

I know some are listed in Beckett with a .25 x and a .50 x multiplier so I never even bothered to really look into my Upper Deck to sort them out because who cares about a .50 x multiplier.. I mean you have a card that books for a buck and now it's valued at $1.50? lol, not very significant, I mean the most valuable card from that set is the Lidstrom Rookie I think and that's what $6.00 perhaps? I guess maybe if there was a 10x multiplier but I started looking into it and indeed collectors are collecting these odd variations.