Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Converting hype into dollars could be tougher for Zion than LeBron

Former Nike and Adidas impresario Sonny Vaccaro made headlines in April when he said that Zion Williamson's shoe endorsement might go down as the biggest in basketball history. The number $100 million was being tossed around.

"Sitting here at this age and watching 50 years of it, Zion has made me feel like it's 1984," Vaccaro told ESPN's Nick DePaula. "I'm serious."

Though Williamson is the most hyped prospect since LeBron James, a few factors may prevent him from maximizing the value of that hype, including a shifting shoe market and the fact he'll play for the New Orleans Pelicans. When it comes to memorabilia, however, card companies and retailers could quickly capitalize on the buzz.

https://www.sportscardforum.com/newt...ewthread&f=163

SCF Rewards
    Country

What does a "shifting shoe market" mean?

Also I honestly don't get the hype with this guy. I mean I know why they are pushing the kid but I don't see the wow that everyone else has seen (or I guess just ESPN has).
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

What does a "shifting shoe market" mean?

Also I honestly don't get the hype with this guy. I mean I know why they are pushing the kid but I don't see the wow that everyone else has seen (or I guess just ESPN has).

From what I get two things on the shifting shoe market.

1) shoes sales are down four years straight in the U.S.
    2) the sales are up in China.

I wonder if Marbury shoes are King as he is a superstar over there and has his own shoeline over there.
    @pwaldo

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

Interesting that the sales are down in the US. Though I guess all the hype about the shoe market I heard was from back a few years and not anything recent. Never really understood why people pay the big bucks for sneakers now when there are a ton of good looking and quality cheap shoes. From $40-$60 a pair. I remember in the 2000s it was tough to find cheap sneakers pre the Internet shopping days since many places around here didn't carry sneakers except for the very expensive Foot Locker. And with the money they pay players now for shoe deals you basically have to charge a ton per pair to make your money back!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

His athleticism and power is mind-boggling. He's actually even more powerful and dynamic than LeBron was at a similar age, from a purely physical standpoint, but we'll see if he develops the same degree of skills, drive, etc. as well. Larry Johnson was also a powerful physical specimen, but he never lived up to the hype.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vivchuleta's Items on eBay

Hype, that"s all it is. Though, one that dislikes Lebron, his skills are impressive. Zion on the other hand. It is to early to tell. For his size I thought he would be more dominating in the tournament.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Hype, that"s all it is. Though, one that dislikes Lebron, his skills are impressive. Zion on the other hand. It is to early to tell. For his size I thought he would be more dominating in the tournament.

He got hurt in Feburary and was out over 3 weeks until he returned to play in the ACC Conference Tournament. It was more the supporting cast not showing up in the NCAA Tourney than Zion not being dominant.

ACC Conference Tourney Avg/game 27 points 10 rebounds

NCAA Tourney Avg/game 26 points 8.5 rebrounds

Regular Season 3 Pt Totals (26 games) 14/48 29.1%

Conference Tourney/NCAA Tourney (7 games) 10/23 43.4%

There is a lot of hype on this guy. I think the main two factors for him will be his outside shooting and health as to whether he will live up to it or not He will need an inside/outside game to be a superstar. The two most dynamic ways to score in the NBA are by the 3 and dunk. The guy has a NBA body already but will need to lose some weight. There is no way this guy will play at 285 and stay healthy for a long NBA career. He is the most comparable to LeBron since he came out of high school. Mostly because of his size, flash, and ability to play multiple positions.

SCF Rewards
    Country

His athleticism and power is mind-boggling.

But is he? I mean what metric says so. Did he have the highest jump or quickest speed in the combine? To me he kinda looks like a Derrick Coleman type mold....not that there is anything wrong with that but he's suppose to be the next big thing in basketball. Even if he becomes prime Shawn Kemp that will be a letdown and if he goes fatty Shawn Kemp he could be one of the biggest busts since that other guy a couple of years ago at #1 that did nothing. Boy the NBA hasn't had a lot of luck lately have they.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Zion for sure. Interested to see how he develops.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content