Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See allonblack13's Items on eBay

Is it safe to assume that Pay It Forward is dead?

The action was brief and I can't help but miss it...is anyone up to resurrect PIF? I know there were some incomplete transactions thanks to lame cards being offered up...

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

I believe the reason that the Pay it Forward idea has stalled is that collectors saw this as a way to get rid of unwanted cards instead of offering up cards people may need. It was supposed to be a way for collectors to find a PC item.

Take me for example: PIF doesn't really help me at all. I have wants spanning from 1910-11 to the present day. I collect rookie cards with a focus on SP Authentic (my list is in my signature). Quite a few of my wants (from the late 1980s and throughout the 1990s in particular) range from $25 to no more than a nickel, so they wouldn't be offered anyway.

If you are not offering anything from my list, why would I claim your card? Who in their right mind will offer up a Patrick Kane FWA or Sidney Crosby FWA? These are the kinds of cards I need. SP Authentic rookies are never offered because people would rather sell/trade them.

In my case, there's another issue with the PIF idea. I don't have many cards that fit the criteria to be offered up. I don't have many cards in that range.

PIF helps me gather trade bait and that's not the spirit of it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I participated quite a bit with the PIF ( International / Canada / both threads )

It always stalled because offering up BV was an option. People would put up a "40BV" 01/02 Roman Chechmanek jersey, or an 02/03 50BV parallel of Rick Dipietro.

I technically only PC Luongo, and no one has Luongo I need. Im not super strict like @Leafsman, where I only collect X and nothing else, and if I need to take a card to get the ball moving again, ill be able to find something I like that will go into the box of "stuff I like" =P.

That being said, I dont care if I give up a $20 - $30 card that ive sat on for awhile. Every time I posted stuff in the PIF, it was claimed within a few hours.

The fact that someone can put in a selection of 40BV - 60BV parallels / inserts / jersey cards that you wouldnt be able to sell for $5 after they claim a nice $20 current player auto is when the thread dies. Im sure there are a few people who dont mind taking a card they only have a very little bit of interest in to move the thread along, but you can only do it so many times.

In all honesty @Leafsman, PIF is not really set up for someone with your collecting goals. It is made for people who just want to shake things up a bit, maybe grab a nice card of a guy they like to watch play .... someone that really isnt too picky with what they get in return, and has a good amount of stuff to choose from if the 1st few items they put up arnt wanted.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

I participated quite a bit with the PIF ( International / Canada / both threads )

It always stalled because offering up BV was an option. People would put up a "40BV" 01/02 Roman Chechmanek jersey, or an 02/03 50BV parallel of Rick Dipietro.

I technically only PC Luongo, and no one has Luongo I need. Im not super strict like @Leafsman, where I only collect X and nothing else, and if I need to take a card to get the ball moving again, ill be able to find something I like that will go into the box of "stuff I like" =P.

That being said, I dont care if I give up a $20 - $30 card that ive sat on for awhile. Every time I posted stuff in the PIF, it was claimed within a few hours.

The fact that someone can put in a selection of 40BV - 60BV parallels / inserts / jersey cards that you wouldnt be able to sell for $5 after they claim a nice $20 current player auto is when the thread dies. Im sure there are a few people who dont mind taking a card they only have a very little bit of interest in to move the thread along, but you can only do it so many times.

In all honesty @Leafsman, PIF is not really set up for someone with your collecting goals. It is made for people who just want to shake things up a bit, maybe grab a nice card of a guy they like to watch play .... someone that really isnt too picky with what they get in return, and has a good amount of stuff to choose from if the 1st few items they put up arnt wanted.

@canucksfan007 this is a direct quote from the Pay It Forward rules and regulations:

"The idea behind it is to help out our fellow traders to boost their collections by posting up cards that people can get for their PC without having to trade or buy."

Notice it says "posting up cards that people can get for their PC". I do have cards in my wantlist, from all kinds of set brands and all years, in the $30 BV or sale range. I don't know why you think I would be exempt or that it isn't suited towards someone with my collecting goals.

Take my SP Authentic wants for example. I'm not expecting people to offer up a Brad Marchand or Erik Karlsson FWA for free. But it would be nice to find a Chris Kreider, for example. Even if I could find a Dave Taylor OPC RC in Nearmint-Mint condition for example, that's one card off my list.

The issue is that nobody is kind enough to offer them up because they would rather trade or sell them. I understand that, but it would be nice to find just one card from my wantlist on here in a condition I find acceptable.

The reason this isn't working is because people viewed the Pay It Forward idea as a way to try to dump cards they couldn't move otherwise. That's all there is to it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It truly is unfortunate that such a great concept was ruined by some who couldn't follow the simple rules. I was ecstatic to pick up a $40 card that had been on my want list for 8 years and I was able to send someone else a $40 card that had been on my trader list for over a decade.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    182 connexion hck
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Winnipeg Jets Calgary Flames

Then why don't we make a "dump it forward"? lol

We post a few cards that we want to "give away" then wait that they get picked up.

I guess it could help people with a low inventory

SCF Rewards
    Country

Then why don't we make a "dump it forward"? lol

We post a few cards that we want to "give away" then wait that they get picked up.

I guess it could help people with a low inventory

I had an idea of "blind trading" or more like "vague trading".... For example; I post a card lot with say $150 in BV, and if you want that lot you can get it if you meet the criteria I set for that lot... For example: "$150 BV minimum, Blackhawks, Kings and Leafs, 70's, 80's and 90's".. If you can meet that criteria then the lot goes to you..

I mean I have so much stuff that other collectors would enjoy that I already have tons of or it doesn't really fit in my PC and I would easily trade it if I'm getting something back I do PC..

This would be a good way for all of us to trade our cards we don't want for cards we do without getting into too much detail... Look, I collect Hawks and I would be absolutely thrilled to trade some pretty nice cards for some Blackhawks pre-1990.. Nothing specific just Hawks pre-1990 with a minimum BV of $75 bucks, and if a collector can do that and they're interested in the lot I posted then done deal!

I'd love to give this method of trading a try.

Just post a lot up, fill out the below and see if someone is willing to trade with you.

Min BV:
    Main Criteria:
    Additional Criteria: