Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Does an autograph enhance the value of a card

I’m sending out some cards to a player to get autographed. I have a few cards of his third year I will send but also just one of his rookie year. Would I be hurting the value on that if I send it? Would I have any way to prove it’s real is the main thing I’m thinking I need to be aware of. I could take a pic of the envelope is the only thing I know.

I’m totally new to the board so sorry if this has been discussed before. Also totally new to TTM autographs.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (105)
    Country
    Kansas City Royals Chicago Bears St Louis Blues

Welcome to the forums, and to the ttm addiction, I mean hobby!

Proving a signature is real, some people like to get it authenticated and slabbed, that typically increases resale value. I do not do this with my cards, but many traders do!

As far as an autograph devaluing the card, I think it depends. Typically, I think it only increases value, maybe not in every case though.

Ttm rules: never send anything you would miss not getting back! No more than 3 per envelope, and hand write the letter, no one likes to get a typed "Dear_______, you are my favorite ______" letter.

Be patient, that is my weakness! Also, it's fun to sign up for usps informed delivery, so you can see what is coming back!

God bless,

Kevin

SCF Rewards
    Country

Kevin,

Thanks for the great advice.

One other question, do you worry the player will mishandle it it’s something in mint condition? Any way to avoid that? Do you send cards in sleeves where they have to take them out and put back in?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (105)
    Country

I never send in sleeves, sometimes players will accidentally sign the sleeve rather than the card, or the signature will get smudged on the way back in.

I use cardboard and sticky photo corners to hold the card down. I then take another piece of cardboard and use 2 sided tape to hold a piece of tissue paper on the second piece of cardboard. This makes a small booklet almost, i tape the 2 pieces of cardboard together and write "open here, cards are inside". This keeps the cards and signature in good condition in the mail, as I have had several items get torn or badly creased by usps, unfortunately before i started using this system.

Hopefully this makes some sense, let me know any more questions, I've been doing this on and off since 1992, so 27 years now! I have made some mistakes and have had some awesome successes too!

God bless,

Kevin

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Autographs on card used to be not looked at favorably but as with all things change. As if you look at autograph on older rookie cards if they been graded in a good grade have been brining some decent change. 10 years ago you would never have been able to get those prices as the practice was it ruins a rookie card but that not the case these days. In the end do what makes you happy as a hobbyist. Focusing too much on the dollars to me take it out of a hobby and makes it a investment or business.

Good luck in your ttm returns.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

Don: thanks, one autographed card I’ll display in my house. I have the rookie card in the plaque now but was thinking the later card looks better. You can see see his face and the rookie he is wearing a helmet. I was thinking other extras I get I could maybe try to sell later as part of a team set of that year maybe. So it’s a bit of both.

Kevin: I think I can visualize what you are saying but it’d be better if I could somehow see a picture of course. Is the tissue paper a way of protecting the surface of the card when you close it up?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (105)
    Country

Yes, the cards are held on one piece of cardboard and the tissue paper is used to protect the surface and signature. I would most a photo, but I don't have any here now, they are all 8n the mail!!

Blessings,

Kevin

SCF Rewards
    Country

Kevin,

How thick is the cardboard you use?

Sorry for not telling my name...

Joe

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Don: thanks, one autographed card I’ll display in my house. I have the rookie card in the plaque now but was thinking the later card looks better. You can see see his face and the rookie he is wearing a helmet. I was thinking other extras I get I could maybe try to sell later as part of a team set of that year maybe. So it’s a bit of both.

Kevin: I think I can visualize what you are saying but it’d be better if I could somehow see a picture of course. Is the tissue paper a way of protecting the surface of the card when you close it up?

Anytime. Let us know how it turns outa1

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here what I did with mines when getting cards signed in person. I use exacto pen to make smaller rectangular cut on the binder sleeves. You have to sacrifice a card get it done. Dummy cards will work. For me I used one of those junk wax era cards to assist in cutting. Luckily there used to be a shop that sold used stuff and got it for a dime per 9 card sheet. The result looks like this
    IMG_0050.JPG
    No tape, just slide the card in the sheet and latch inside the binder. Took me several tries to get it done "correctly." so it can be secured. Making the cut closer to the edge result in cards falling out of the holder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast