Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast
    Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

Habs fans and my fellow goalies will hate me for this one I'm sure, but I'm going to have to eliminate Ken Dryden (G) from the list today.

He had a fantastic career no doubt, but compared to some of his HHOF goalie counterparts, his NHL career was relatively short compared to other goaltenders, as Dryden only appeared in 7 full NHL seasons in his career. So for that reason, he's out in my mind when creating a HOF team like this.

not eliminating a second ?
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I've been absent on this thread the last few days. Just updated the opening page though.

I'll also be eliminating:

Bill Gadsby D
    Harry Howell D

Two very good dmen in their own time, just not "elite of the elite" when you look at the history of the game.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Out with more D

Herb Gardiner D Gardiner's very brief career took place in the 1920's when he scored 20 points in 100 NHL games. Entering the NHL at age 35 he won the Hart Trophy during his first season. I question his selection the the hall of fame, let alone his place among the great defenders.
    Ching Johnson D Played in the early days of the NHL for both NY teams. Although he was a 4 time all star and a member of two Stanley Cup winners Johnson was limited to 86 points over 12 years and 436 games in the league, beginning at age 28. Sorry Ching, but the era in which you played and a 7 point/year career average doesn't cut the mustard.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hod Stuart D Stuart, a turn of the century player whose life ended tragically after a diving accident at aged 28. The first professional all star game was played to raise money for the Stuart family. He later became one of the original Hockey Hall of Fame inductees, known for his abilities as an offense minded d-man. Eliminated because he had less than 100 games of professional experience

Guy Lapointe D- A member of 6 Stanley Cup winning Montreal teams in 1970's during his 14 year career. Lapointe played in 4 all star games and was given consideration for 6 Norris trophies. He earned no individual awards during his career. Removed because there are several other d-men more deserving of inclusion on the ALL Time SCF roster.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Emile Bouchard D Bouchard was a 'stay at home' defenseman known for his checking ability and strength. Played on 4 all star teams and won 4 Cups with the Canadiens in the '40's and fifties. A great player, but not among the tip 4 at his position.

Borje Salming D Became the first European skater to star in the NHL. Salming was a playmaker and stalwart defenseman during his 17 year NHL career. Unfortunately he never won a Cup nor was he honored with an individual award for his performance.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm gonna keep the run on defenders going.... and axe:

Pierre Pilote D
    Rob Blake D

For Blake, there's a large group of dmen from the 80s / 90s / early 00s, that are a notch above him.

Blake may very well be a top 25 (or so) dman of all time, but he's not going to get the nod from me over the likes of Neidermayer, Pronger, Lidstrom, Bourque.

Pilote, I can't knock anyone who won three straight Norris trophies (that's virtually unheard of) but the overall career doesn't stack up against many of the other greats still on this list. Fewer than 500 points, because he played fewer than 1000 games. Didn't have the longevity needed to pass my test.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Oakland Raiders Toronto Blue Jays
    See barkingtreespider's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale
    Send PayPal to jayeh1969 Member is PayPal Verified

No Vezina or All-Star Team but a huge factor in 2 Stanley Cups. Ya, the WHA did hurt him. (Keeping my eyes open for Enroth stuff for you)

SCF Rewards
    Country

No Vezina or All-Star Team but a huge factor in 2 Stanley Cups. Ya, the WHA did hurt him. (Keeping my eyes open for Enroth stuff for you)

Which goalie are you talking about?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Oakland Raiders Toronto Blue Jays
    See barkingtreespider's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale
    Send PayPal to jayeh1969 Member is PayPal Verified

Hate to knockout a fellow goalie, and I loved his mask, but I'm going to go with Gerry Cheevers. Never won a Vezina or made an All-Star team.

Probably would have put up better NHL career totals if he didn't move to the WHA for 4 seasons.

No Vezina or All-Star team but a major factor in getting them there and winning 2 Stanley's. The WHA did hurt him and the 74' Canada Cup was forgettable. (Looking out for Enroth's for you)

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm knocking out a pair of goalies today.....

Ed Belfour G

When I'm considering the "best of the best" - Belfour, in his own era, falls to 4th (behind Roy, Brodeur, Hasek). He's not going to make the final cut.

Jacques Plante G

As much as I'd like to see an ex-Oiler stick around on the list, I've got to remove Plante. His career was spectacular, but I'm not keeping someone best known for innovation around. Is he a top 10 goalie of all time? Probably. That's why he's still around at this point.... but he's not top 2.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast