Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Mike Keenan may have coached the NYR to the Cup, but he is an idiot. Check out his Wiki bio.Aside from being a despicable human being the only job he could find was coaching the Chinese KHL team from which he was fired.

But he gave into Mark Messier's demand for a pre-game meal of Steak & Ice Cream at the '87 Canada Cup! Pure Genius!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Today I eliminated:

Arthur Farrell F
    Fred Scanlan F

Last two "forwards" (rather than a modern position) that played back in a pre-NHL era. Bye!

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

Time to get rid of two D men

Leo Boivin- His NHL career spanned 19 years, unto itself a pretty remarkable achievement. However he never made an all star team or won an award. his plus/minus stands at -212. He managed only 13 points in 54 playoff games and never won a Cup.

Red Horner D Won a Cup with the Leafs in 1932 which to some fans automatically qualifies him for hockey heaven. However, Horner never won an award, nor played in an all star game. He was known as an enforcer and amassed only 152 points "His election to the Hall of Fame has been controversial, as he never before his final two seasons was regarded as even the best defenceman on his own team" Wikipedia.
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Today I eliminate:

Tommy Phillips and Valeri Kharlamov - neither had any NHL experience. Kharlamov was a great international player (156 points in 105 games), but without NHL experience, needs to be eliminated.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Today I eliminate:

Jack Laviolette and Moose Goheen: Neither had any NHL experience.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm going to eliminate two more D from the pre-war era
    Syd Howe D, LW- Known for his versatility, played both left wing and defense. His point total is notable but not overly impressive. Played on three Cup winners but never won an individual award

Babe Siebert D- Hart Trophy winner and 3 time all star, played on two Cup winning teams. Physical player. Averaged 21 points/season. Removing him because he played in an era when the game was considerably different (1920's)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Today I will reject:

Sergei Makarov & Phil Housley

Makarov: He's only in the HOF for what he did for hockey in general, he was a fantastic player when he played for the USSR/Red Army.

Phil Housley: Well because he was Phil Housley - was he ever a top D within his generation - NO - did he score a lot of points? yes, but only in an era which players would score a lot of points...

If it matters, next on the chopping block unless someone gets to them first is Grant Fuhr and Glenn Anderson.... And I will explain why tomorrow.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Today I eliminate

Russell Bowie
    and Tommy Smith - neither have any NHL experience.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Continuing to slim down the defense

Art Coulter D 11 seasons primarily in the 1930's. Played on 2 Cup winners but never won an award and tallied only 113 career points.

Babe Pratt D 12 year career played on 2 Cup winners and won a Hart Trophy. appeared in 2 All Star games, averaged just under 25 pts/season

SCF Rewards
    Country

Today I eliminate the following:

Glenn Anderson & Grant Fuhr

Why Anderson?

Well was he any better than several players currently not in the HOF? do you due diligence there... Was he better than Bernie Nicholls?

Fuhr:

Well was he any better than Andy Moog? Barrasso? Beezer etc? NOPE..

Was the man good? absolutely, however he's a HOF'er for his Cups, not because he was "great"....

So those two should be bounced.... I can make an argument for several other goalies and wingers that should be in that aren't but those two are? I suppose 4-5 Cups can change a lot of minds...

Would the Oilers have been better with Liut or Fuhr?

Would the Oilers have been better with Larmer or Anderson (or Bernie Nicholls for that matter)?

IMO, this would be more fun if we could nominate players that fans believe are more deserving......

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast