Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 LastLast
    Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

How about some wings today?

Aurčle Joliat LW NHL pioneers player, 4x all star during his 16 year career, winner of 2 Stanley Cups and a Hart Trophy while playing for Montreal. Joliat stood at 5'7" and weighed 136 pounds, clearly the game was much different in his era.

Sweeney Schriner LW An 11 year career during which he made 3 all star appearances and won 2 Cups with the Leafs during the war years. Led the NHL in points, twice. Eliminated because I don't consider him to among the elite left wingers, in fact I'd never heard of him until we began this elimination exercise.
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Let the contention begin
    Glenn Hall G - Solid career '50's-60's 3 Vezina 1 Cup 407 Wins, 18 year career

Patrick Roy G Amazing goalie, won 4 Cups, second all time w/ 551 wins.

There may be only 2 better between the pipes

TBD

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Let the contention begin
    Glenn Hall G - Solid career '50's-60's 3 Vezina 1 Cup 407 Wins, 18 year career

Patrick Roy G Amazing goalie, won 4 Cups, second all time w/ 551 wins.

There may be only 2 better between the pipes

TBD

^^^^^

Well, I'll just seal the deal then.

I'm eliminating Martin Brodeur, and Tony Esposito.

Why? Simply put, I believe Dominik Hasek to be the best goalie of the modern era (cumulative stats don't change that).

To be honest.... I would have saved Hall over Sawchuk - I think the consecutive games streak is amazing - but Sawchuk's numbers came during an era when those kinds of numbers didn't exist.

..... and I did hope to see we'd get one modern guy, and one vintage guy, making the list.

SCF Rewards
    Country

^^^^^

Well, I'll just seal the deal then.

I'm eliminating Martin Brodeur, and Tony Esposito.

Why? Simply put, I believe Dominik Hasek to be the best goalie of the modern era (cumulative stats don't change that).

To be honest.... I would have saved Hall over Sawchuk - I think the consecutive games streak is amazing - but Sawchuk's numbers came during an era when those kinds of numbers didn't exist.

..... and I did hope to see we'd get one modern guy, and one vintage guy, making the list.

Sawchuk has always been a personal favorite of mine. He spent his last few years with the NYR before his untimely, tragic death. He overcame mental and a whole variety of physical issues to become the most successful goaltender of the Original 6 era and his popularity is very evident in the hobby. I believe he and Hasek are excellent choices and a case could be made for others as well. This endeavor will only get more interesting as we whittle down the list.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Time to remove a couple of pre-NHL players

Jack Marshall

Career highlights include 6 Stanley Cups, and three games with 5+ goals (including one with 6). Never played in the NHL though, and only 104 career pro games.

Neil Colville

Played in the NHL, retired at the end of the 49-50 season. 464 NHL games is a decent number, especially when you consider that he was out of the NHL for a couple of years during WW2 (he was stationed in Ottawa, played on an Army team, and they won the Allan Cup!). Won a Stanley Cup, but no major awards. With less than 100 career goals, and less than 300 career points, he's not making the cut.....

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sawchuk has always been a personal favorite of mine. He spent his last few years with the NYR before his untimely, tragic death. He overcame mental and a whole variety of physical issues to become the most successful goaltender of the Original 6 era and his popularity is very evident in the hobby. I believe he and Hasek are excellent choices and a case could be made for others as well. This endeavor will only get more interesting as we whittle down the list.

I think we all have our personal biases, and an exercise like this is tough.... we're getting down to a single "all time" team, so there's going to be huge names that don't make the cut.

I said in my last post, from the get go.... I always would have preferred to see one "modern", and one "vintage" guy - and I do think when you look at the last 6 guys we had, it's the exact 3-3 split I would have gone with (Sawchuk, Esposito, Hall..... Roy, Brodeur, Hasek).

SCF Rewards
    Country

Billy Burch C–D Appeared in only 390 games in the early days of the NHL winning a Hart and Byng trophy along the way. Appeared in only 2 playoff games. Tallied less than 200 career points.

Hooley Smith C–D–RW During his 17 year career Smith played on 2 Cup winning teams and appeared in two all star games, but never won an individual award. His 414 points are a long way from those of many other players on this list.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Today I will cut:

Lynn Patrick C–LW - A winger who retired in 1947, he didn't even register anything close to a point-per-game, was a 1st team allstar once, never won a Cup.

Joe Malone C - We all know the legend, but the legend last played a game in 1924. Game has changed too much since then for him to win.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Edgar Laprade[A] C I must admit I've been a Rangers fan my entire life and until today never realized Edgar spent his career with the team. During his 10 years in the NHL he won a Calder and a Byng, however he never appeared in an all star game nor won a Cup. He averaged 28 points a season never leading the league in any category other than games played. Remarkably he played three straight seasons without being called for a penalty.

Frank Nighbor C- Credited with developing the technique of the 'poke check' and developing the concept of a defensive forward through body checking. Nighbor won two Byng and a Hart trophy along with three Cups. Three of his seasons almost defy comprehension as he tallied 94,92 and 123 points in 18, 24 and 35 games, respectively. His career total of 761 points in 349 games is unparalleled. However, Nighbor plied his trade in the fledgling days of the NHL and while he was surely among the best of his era the modern game is radically different and therefore not comparable.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm going to remove:

Mark Howe D
    Larry Murphy D

I'm not keeping the 2nd best Howe, who had been retired for nearly 20 years before being elected to the HOF.

Larry Murphy was a great dman, but we've already axed better (Coffey) if you're looking at high speed, offensive defenceman.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 LastLast