Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Writing Team

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Instagram:

Oh man, where do I start?!

George "High Pockets" Kelly is deserving of the Great Baseball Nickname Hall of Fame, but as a player deserves only the Hall of Very Good. Led the league in a positive statistical category only three times (RBI twice, HR once). Never a serious MVP candidate, though likely would have won a few Gold Gloves had they existed at the time. JAWS puts him as the 90th best first baseman of all-time (players above him who are not in the Hall-- and should not be-- include Wally Joyner, Steve Garvey, Kent Hrbek, Cecil Cooper, Don Mattingly, Carlos Delgado, Joe Torre whom I do not count because he is in as a manager not a player, Keith Hernandez, John Olerud, and Will Clark).

I already know who I'm picking tomorrow. And for at least the next week.
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

I agree with every pick so far except Joss being eliminated this early. Can you really hold meningitis against him? All-time best WHIP, only Ed Walsh had a lower career ERA, tossed a perfect game, and fielded his position well (even played 60 innings in the field).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@rtghobbies

I stand by the elimination of Joss. Maybe a bit early, but if the goal is to get down to the all-time team, he has to come off eventually. Hall of Fame is for the best ever. Had he been able to finish his career, doubt we would have any conversation on the matter, but unfortunately, looking at stats and longevity, he just doesnt fit IMO- and I loved learning about the guy's career. Being from Cleveland, the local sports station had a great documentary about him- he was an amazing guy and ball player but I dont see him as a Hall of Famer- he fits into the Hall of Very Good

Ed
    Looking for Mahomes, Cleveland Browns, or nice deals on football stuff!
    Buying, Selling, and Trading!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Edgar Martinez

He just doesn't have the numbers as just a DH to make the HOF. He played in the offensive era and on teams with some of the best protection of all time just solely focusing on hitting and his numbers are still not there. I would take a couple of guys that aren't in the HOF over him and I don't view those guys as HOF players either. If you are going to get into the HOF as a DH you have to put up numbers that separate you from the "offensive positions" otherwise I'd rather have a OF that played Gold Glove defense for 15 years and has similar numbers to Edgar. Playing a position puts wear and tear on your body so everyone would get an offensive boost if they were just a DH all the time so it makes sense to have a higher standard for DHs and Edgar doesn't make my cut.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Baseball Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Pistons Detroit Lions Detroit Red Wings
    See cramkd117's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Waite Hoyt, slightly above average.

SCF Owner

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    Twitter: @scfnews See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack

I stand by the elimination of Joss. Maybe a bit early, but if the goal is to get down to the all-time team, he has to come off eventually. Hall of Fame is for the best ever. Had he been able to finish his career, doubt we would have any conversation on the matter, but unfortunately, looking at stats and longevity, he just doesnt fit IMO- and I loved learning about the guy's career. Being from Cleveland, the local sports station had a great documentary about him- he was an amazing guy and ball player but I dont see him as a Hall of Famer- he fits into the Hall of Very Good

Ed

this is a similar reason why Cam Neely was booted the Hockey Hall of Fame discussion, the injuries.. it stinks because Joss was very good... I need to find that documentary about him btw

For those reading this and looking for Football and Basketball... those are coming...
    Last edited by scottkoz20; 07-24-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    Contact me for any site related issues
    =====
    Support SCF Sponsors

SCF Owner

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    Twitter: @scfnews See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack

Todays Elimination is Eppa Rixey

Why -

another player that needed to be inducted by the Veterans Committee
    While had the most wins for a left handed pitcher until Warren Spahn passed him, he had the most losses (251) by a left handed pitcher.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers Georgia Bulldogs New York Yankees
    See big_f_23's Items on eBay

My elimination for July 25th is C Gary Carter. While all Mets and Expo fans loved "The Kid", his stats don't hold up. .262 lifetime hitter, 3x Gold Glove, 5x Silver Slugger, and he's in the HOF? Roger Maris has better stats, and he's not in the HOF. Don Mattingly has better stats, and he's not in the HOF. Playing forever does not automatically guarantee you a HOF berth.
    Mark Messier - 1,002/3,316= 30%

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Baltimore Orioles Washington Nationals

For today let's remove Biz Mackey - C. Who was he? what were his stats? who did he play for? when did he play? As you can now see, I've never heard of him. Therefore, how could he end up in the HOF and not be well known ?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@rtghobbies

Today I'm removing Eddie Murray for a purely selfish reason- I met him once as a kid and he was an absolute jerk. I know that isnt a great reason, but for me, Hall of Famers are guys you cheer for, look up to, and try to emulate- at least I felt that way as a 9 year old- and when Murray cut off my question about playing because "I dont waste time talking to kids" I was crushed

Eddie is OFF the list!

Writing Team

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Instagram:

Ross Youngs

Yeah, it sucks that his career was cut short due to illness and that he died young. But unlike guys like Addie Joss, Kirby Puckett, and Roberto Clemente, Youngs just wasn't THAT good. He finished Top-5 in MVP voting once (which was fifth in 1924), and only ever led the league in three categories: runs in 1923, doubles in 1919, and strikeouts in 1918. Eight players have a B-R Similarity Score of 900 or higher to him and none are in the HOF. The JAWS scale lists him as the 72nd best RF of all-time behind non-HOFers Dwight Evans, Bobby Bonds, Reggie Smith, Brian Giles, Tony Oliva, Rocky Colavito, and Gavvy Cravath (lone positive: he's ahead of Harold Baines).

If you haven't noticed a pattern to my picks yet, you might tomorrow...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast