Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Writing Team

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Instagram:

This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

Today I'll remove Ross Youngs - RF from the list. His career was ended at only ten years by his death at the age of 30 in 1927. If he was good enough for the HOF why wan't he elected in the 1930's or 1940's ? He wasn't voted in until 1972 by the Veterans Committee. Why would you elect someone to the HOF 45 years after their death/career ? Also, in his ten year career he only had 42 HR's and 592 RBI's, not HOF numbers in those categories.

I already voted him off last week; it's just not marked yet.

You get a bonus turn!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Baltimore Orioles Washington Nationals

THANKS for letting me know, I missed that. Well my "replacement" for "removing" today is now Tommy McCarthy - RF. His statistics aren't bad, but they're also not impressive. His #'s, to me, and just somewhat better than above average. Nothing on his statistics jump out and catch my attention. In fact, many players have produced nearly more than double of what he tallied.

Writing Team

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Instagram:

Jesse Haines

Has anyone picked up on my pattern yet? The Frankie Frisch years of the Veterans' Committee (1966-1973, with his influence being felt for a few years after his death) were loaded with him and Bill Terry combining to push through former teammates who are clearly undeserving. Note that Frisch played with George Kelly and Ross Youngs from 1919-26, Dave Bancroft from 1920-23, and Freddie Lindstrom from 1924-26 with the Giants, and Jesse Haines from 1927-37 with the Cardinals. Haines never got above 9% of the Writers' vote, Bancroft never above 17%, Youngs never above 23%, Kelly never even hit 2%, and Lindstrom maxed out at just under 5%. The Veterans' Committee was created originally to bring better recognition of 19th century players to the Hall of Fame, not to reward mediocre teammates.

Jesse Haines had a nice 1927 season: led the league in complete games and shutouts, 2nd in wins, 4th in ERA, 10th in strikeouts. And that's it. the JAWS monitor lists him as the 302nd greatest starting pitcher of all-time.

Let me repeat that for you: the 302nd greatest starting pitcher of all-time is in the Hall of Fame. I'm typically a bigger Hall proponent, but this is ridiculous. Alex Fernandez, Mark Gubicza, Al Leiter, Claude Osteen, Kenny Rogers, Jimmy Key, and Dave Stieb all have better credentials than Jesse Haines.

There are two other selections I can think of that smack of Frisch cronyism. One was somewhat deserving. The other will get voted off the island tomorrow...

Last edited by *censored*; 07-30-2019 at 10:15 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

For today my elimination is Rollie Fingers - P. His W-L record, 114-118, should have kept him from ever getting into the HOF. No pitcher with a lifetime W-L record in the negative should never be in the HOF.

NOTE: these have been "eliminated", but NOT YET identified "eliminated" to the listing on Post #1 ---

GARY CARTER - C
    BIZ MACKEY - C
    EDDIE MURRAY - 1B
    RICK FARRELL - C
    "CATFISH" HUNTER - P
    BRUCE SUTTER - P
    C. TORRIENTE - CF
    F. LINDSTROM - 3B
    B. HARRIS - MGR.
    T. RAINES - LF
    G. GOSSAGE - P
    P. RIZZUTO - SS
    R. BRESNAHAN - C
    T. LARUSSA - MGR.
    O. SMITH - SS
    J. BUNNING - P
    J. CHESBRO - P
    B. DOERR - 2B
    D. BANCROFT - SS
    T. McCARTHY - RF
    J. HAINES - P
    R. FINGERS - P

Last edited by OriolesFan; 07-31-2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: adding "NOTE:.........."

Writing Team

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Instagram:

Chick Hafey

The last of the completely-undeserving former teammates of Frankie Frisch. Hafey led the league in slugging once, then four years later in batting average. Sure, he was a career .317 hitter, but lacked longevity (1500 career hits?). He slugged .611 over a five year span, but peaked far too early (his biggest years came at age 24-28, and he was out of baseball before he was 35). His peak HOF voting tally from the BBWAA was a whole 10.8%. He was also known for being frequently at odds with team management, which is how he ended up getting shipped to a cesspool like the early-1930's Reds.

He had a good arm (originally signed as a pitcher) and physical ailments cost him (beanings and sinus issues that led to vision problems) and it's argued that may have been used to help his case. But if we're voting off Addie Joss and Ross Youngs despite their illnesses, then it shouldn't be used to justify Hafey either.

SCF Rewards
    Country

For today I'll eliminate another PITCHER, Hal Newhouser. His statistics aren't bad, but they aren't outstanding either. Without a doubt, he was an over average pitcher. He won more than 50% of his games,but less than 60% (207-150). The same can be said about his ERA, not bad but still slightly over 3.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Cardinals Oklahoma City Thunder Kansas City Chiefs
    See wizardofoz82's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

My pick today is Lou Brock. It hurts me as a Cards fan but he doesn't deserve to be there.

He was only a league average bat (below average for his position) and he was a very poor defender. Yeah I know he was the career stolen base leader for a while but he wasn't even very good at that. His career success rate was only 75% and anything under 80% is actually detrimental to run scoring. To put that in perspective Rickey Henderson only got caught stealing 28 times more than Brock did in almost 50% more attempts. Raines who was eliminated earlier was a much better base stealer than Brock. Raines had 808 SBs in less than 1,000 attempts.

Last edited by WizardofOz1982; 08-02-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, and Jeff Bagwell.
    Hidden Content - My collection website with galleries, need lists, and trade lists.
    Needs List:
    Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

Writing Team

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Instagram:

Lloyd Waner.

Gets in on the merits of his brother's name, not his own. He led the league in hits, walks, and triples once each. That's it. If those are qualifications, then let's dust off that Brett Butler plaque, yeah?

SCF Rewards
    Country

For today I'll eliminate Earle Combs - CF. He had a "good" 12 year career with the Yankees (1924-1935), with a "good" lifetime BA of .325. The "only" other hitting that stood out was that he led the A L in triples three times. In his career he had less than 60 HR's,less than 630 RBI's, less than 100 stolen bases, and less than 1,900 hits. In other words, nothing that really stands out. Good but not great. AND he wasn't elected into the HOF until 1970, thirty five (35) years after he last played in major league baseball.

Writing Team

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Instagram:

While we're on the topic of Undeserving HOFers Who Got In Solely On Yankee Uber-Hype, today I'm removing Tony Lazzeri because how in the ever loving crap did he get in?! He was an All-Star once, and his only times leading the league in anything were in strikeouts as a rookie in 1926, assists in 1927, and most errors committed at 2B three times. Never even got to 2000 hits, and was a career .292 hitter. I just... why?!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast