Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

SCF Rewards
    Country

Today I'm eliminating

Dick Williams

His 2 World Series victories are nice but I don't have him in the top 10 managers in the HOF and I'd take a borderline HOF player over a borderline HOF manager any day of the week.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Today I'll eliminate

Orlando Cepeda

If you didn't make it on the original ballot and were a Veterans pick I'm removing you as you had enough time to get voted in. Besides Cepeda has Carlos Delgado numbers and there are a bunch of guys at 1st base that aren't in the HOF that are really good too. To get in at that position you have to be elite and if he was why did it take him a VC vote to get in?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Cardinals Oklahoma City Thunder Kansas City Chiefs
    See wizardofoz82's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

My elimination pick today is Tom Glavine.

He was a very good pitcher but never a great one. He won two Cy Youngs but he wasn't even the best pitcher on his own team either year, much less the best pitcher in the NL.

I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, and Jeff Bagwell.
    Hidden Content - My collection website with galleries, need lists, and trade lists.
    Needs List:
    Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Baltimore Orioles Washington Nationals

Evidently he MUST have been the BEST pitcher on his OWN TEAM,and the N L, when he WON his CY YOUNG awards. How could ANOTHER pitcher be BETTER than one who won the CY YOUNG for that season? Also, he WON over 300 MLB games. There are MANY more PITCHERS in the HOF with way less than 300 WINS.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Cardinals Oklahoma City Thunder Kansas City Chiefs
    See wizardofoz82's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Evidently he MUST have been the BEST pitcher on his OWN TEAM,and the N L, when he WON his CY YOUNG awards. How could ANOTHER pitcher be BETTER than one who won the CY YOUNG for that season? Also, he WON over 300 MLB games. There are MANY more PITCHERS in the HOF with way less than 300 WINS.

Because Maddux was better both years that Glavine won. In 1991 Kevin Brown and Jose Rijo were both better as well. In 1998, Brown, Schilling, Maddux, and Smoltz were all better than Glavine.

You're putting faith to get an award recipient correct in the same group that voted Rafael Palmiero a Gold Glove in a year he DH'd 128 times and played the field 28.

Glavine pitched 21 seasons (16 for one of the best dynasties of the modern era then 5 on a very good Mets team). That means he averaged 14.5 wins a year for great teams. Big whoop. He averaged a little over 3 fWAR a season for his career. That's a #3 starter. #3 starters don't belong in the Hall of Fame, even if they hang around forever and get to 305 wins.

Last edited by WizardofOz1982; 09-25-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Writing Team

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Instagram:

I can find PLENTY of GREAT pitchers who won LESS than 300 because they were stuck ON terrible teams. Wins are VASTLY overrated as an INDIVIDUAL pitching stat.

And AWARDS are completely and totally SUBJECTIVE. IN addition to the Palmeiro EXAMPLE, all you have to DO is look at the 1995 AL MVP and HOW Albert Belle got screwed by a BIASED media.

Granted, I wouldn't HAVE voted off Glavine quite SO early, but HE would have BEEN voted off sooner or lateR.

Why are WE putting random WORDS in ALL CAPS?

Been a while since I've been in on this. I'm voting out Heinie Manush (but giving him immediate induction into the Awesome Name Hall of Fame). JAWS puts him as the 33rd best LF of all-time behind non-HOFers Sherry Magee, Jose Cruz, Minnie Minosos, Luis Gonzalez, and Roy White. Led his league in hits twice, doubles twice, triples once, and average once. Only considered in the top 5 of MVP voting four times over 15 full seasons.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789