Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See G0SHARKSG0's Items on eBay

Hockey card collector looking for info on Basketball cards

Hey guys,

Been a hockey card collector for about 12 years now and being from Canada, got into the hype of the Raptors championship run. Now I'm looking to get into basketball card collecting but haven't been able to find some of the info I'm looking for online.

Is there a good low end set for set collecting? Some of my favorite hockey card sets are MVP, OPC and Series 1/2 because they are large base sets with a good amount of rookies. I really enjoy learning what players play for which teams by set collecting but haven't really been able to find any info on a good set collectors set.

Appreciate any info I could get.

Thanks

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shockwiresports's Items on eBay

A good set that I like to collect is Panini Hoops!

Two others that cost a little bit more but I also enjoy from Panini are: Prizm and Donruss Optic!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (2119)
    Country
    See dpcampsportscards's Items on eBay

Hoops and Donruss are your best bets.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Yes, Hoops and Donruss are great for low end set builders. There isn't much of a market anymore in basketball for that kind of thing (which saddens me as it's my demographic) -- there used to be many more sets like that -- but Hoops and Donruss are at least still around.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See G0SHARKSG0's Items on eBay

Thanks for the help guys. Another question,

My LCS seems to have Prizm 18-19 in stock on their site (Didn't see hoops or donruss but they may have more stuff in the store) but I see a retail version that is much less expensive than the hobby version. What are the differences between those? It says the retail has 1 auto per box while the hobby has 2 autos per box. Are there any other differences? Is retail a good value buy if I'm not really chasing autos? ( would be collecting the base set/rookies and maybe base inserts)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think this may come down to what you are looking for. More cards in retail but the auto in hobby *could* be super valuable. Say you get a rookie auto like Doncic or say a superstar like LeBron - then the hobby box was great but you may also get a lesser player so a gamble of course!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Best of luck with the basketball cards man!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Getting back into collecting basketball, too. A few questions:

Is Panini's basic set Hoops?

When do the basic Panini and Donruss sets come out?

Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country

A lot of the ones referenced likely release in late October and November. Many more come out throughout the NBA season and quite a few high end products

I think Hoops could be considered a basic product, nice to keep running it out based on its historical nature.