Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Card collecting is a hobby at a crossroads

There are millions of people out there who have collected trading cards, but you can break them down into two types — those who sell cards and those who don’t.

I fall into the second group. I don’t sell my cards, much to my wife’s chagrin, and if some cards have to go I look to do a trade or unload some on an unsuspecting friend or a newbie to the hobby.

To me, not selling cards keeps an innocence to my collecting that dates back before the days of eBay and graded cards. Back then, I could sell a card to a local baseball card shop, but outside of that there was literally no way to flip a card for a quick buck.

https://herald-review.com/sports/fla...529ca405a.html

SCF Rewards
    Country

I will place myself in the 3rd class which you have not mentioned.

Essentially I do not sell cards to other trading card collectors.

However, I do sell cards to non-collectors. And I make a killing! I often sell stacks of base cards in a team bag for $5. Maybe only 25-50 base cards in a stack. And I sell them 50-100 stacks at a time. Mostly to children at trade shows and other various events. Most of these events are female oriented, and I don't even vend, I just link-up with vendors who are already vending selling makeup and candles and other useless crap, which often happens to be my sister! All these ladies that attend have their children with them, and they all flock to my cards! Not that trading cards aren't useless crap...

I also sell Marvel character cards presented on picture frames. And I have sold a few hockey ones. Generally I sell these to adults and interior designers who are not trading card collectors, rather they are fans. Fans pay more than collectors! Particularly fans who are not collectors! I often only have $100 in each piece, most of which I sell for $750-$3000.

If a collector tries to buy something from me, I often don't sell, or I will just outright give them the cards they seek, or I will just throw the cards in the garbage! Depending on the person. Collectors are just too damn cheap, and there is this little known website called eBay where collectors can go to and get anything their heart desires for peanuts.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

However, I do sell cards to non-collectors. And I make a killing! I often sell stacks of base cards in a team bag for $5. Maybe only 25-50 base cards in a stack. And I sell them 50-100 stacks at a time. Mostly to children at trade shows and other various events. Most of these events are female oriented, and I don't even vend, I just link-up with vendors who are already vending selling makeup and candles and other useless crap, which often happens to be my sister! All these ladies that attend have their children with them, and they all flock to my cards! Not that trading cards aren't useless crap...

I also sell Marvel character cards presented on picture frames. And I have sold a few hockey ones. Generally I sell these to adults and interior designers who are not trading card collectors, rather they are fans. Fans pay more than collectors! Particularly fans who are not collectors! I often only have $100 in each piece, most of which I sell for $750-$3000.

If a collector tries to buy something from me, I often don't sell, or I will just outright give them the cards they seek, or I will just throw the cards in the garbage! Depending on the person. Collectors are just too damn cheap, and there is this little known website called eBay where collectors can go to and get anything their heart desires for peanuts.

Congrats on the selling yo non collectors. Always nice to make some $’s.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you!

Even though I posted the top secret secret to making money on worthless trading cards, I wager my house that all these dummies are still selling their cards on eBay for peanuts only to have to share those peanuts with eBay! You get half a peanut! Good job!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @https://twitter.com/CardboardGlory See cardboardglory's Items on eBay Instagram:

I feel the hobby falls under.

The Authentic Dealer- The brick and mortar guy that went kicking and screaming to the Worldwide Web. Does everything the old fashion way, gives great customer service even online. Very honest has a modest collection of their favorite players. Has about two dozen cards that are his "retirement".

The Super Serious Collector-Literaly owns nothing from the Modern Era these guys have either been collecting since the 40s or possess a lot of "leisure money" if they're the latter they'll drop $5,000 in your eBay store without blinking. The former still know the art of the deal and will trade something they have dupes in. SSCs collections either way look like Holy Effing Grails.

The Collector-Collects certain sets within their budget that are obtainable over the course of a couple years. Not a large collection but usually there's a methodical value that will be passed down

Avid Fan Collector-This is the guy that collects his favorite team or player he's got over 3,000 St. Louis Blues hockey cards or 40 of that bench player that came up clutch that one time and yeah those 25 base cards you just sold for a couple bucks totally worth it. Sure if they can get one of the 1/1 or low numbered autos and game used awesome. But they are totally fine with 'staying in their lane'. And for a Blues fan they got a pretty sweet collection.

Trend Collector-Has every set's flavor of the day. Typically all over the place with a collection Nothing of note outside the Modern Era. Has an alright collection they will sell at some point so they blur the line between collector and investor.

The investor Groups. These are strictly in it for the profits whether long-term, intermediate, or right now. Collectors hate them but they are to collecting as donkeys are to poker. Nobody gets paid without them.

There's the pack rippers flipping the hits now their collection is non-existing.

There's the day traders grabbing the hits to resell at the bumps. They have ™™™™ collections of ™™™™ they get stuck with.

The Prospector- Banking on at least one 1st Bowman to hit the Jeter Mother lode. Collection is no better than the day traders.

The Grinder. This is the investor that starts out early and has done their homework. They understand trends and their corresponding cycles. While the casual investor is buying up all the rookies they play the long game. While everyone was buying up and paying exorbitant prices for the Guerreros, Acunas, and Soto rookies they're paying very little for players on a HOF track with their second, third, fourth even ten year plus cards betting as they should that a 2019 Topps Chrome Gold Refractor of a perennial All-Star will have as much or better value as a late 60's Mantle Topp's issue. Though their collection has few premium cards it's long-term collector's value is impressive. These investors are typically young father's 'putting away bonds' for their infant kids or 10-25 year olds on limited budgets.

The Super Investor. See Probstein.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for laying out your thoughts.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is pretty accurate.