Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

I don't know how the paypal / shipnow thing works.... but my understanding of how shipping works in the USA: Sending goods in a bubble mailer, and sending documents in a bubble mailer, are not the same thing, and do not cost the same. Goods cost a lot more. I'm guessing if you're honest about the size, weight, etc.... and then call it "documents": You can get that paypal label for cheap, just drop it off at the post office (or just stick it in a mailbox) and nobody will care.

Does it work? Yes. Is it honest? No. IMO, it's like the hacked android boxes people use to stream TV. They're not breaking any laws (in Canada, using one of those boxes is NOT illegal), but they're not really willing to pay for the service they want - so they don't... but use it anyway.

And please, someone from the USA who has more first hand experience in this than me (I'm just going off the top of my head, from what I recall others saying) but it really comes down to lying about the contents of your package (or at least stretching the truth) to get a cheaper rate.

As for Canada Post: I have no idea. I have never been asked the contents of a domestic piece of mail. If I have to fill out a customs form.... I typically say "photos" instead of "hockey cards" - but that's an attempt to not have the package labeled as "values, steal me!", not to avoid costs...... pretty sure Canada Post doesn't care about the contents, it's just size & weight.

Canada Posts care about the contents if you ship from Canada to USA/international. That's why I now have a scale and a pile of stamps. I drop my things in a CP red box and I don't have to deal anymore with the lady in the post office asking what is in my bubble-mailers.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    182 connexion hck
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Winnipeg Jets Calgary Flames

I don't know how the paypal / shipnow thing works.... but my understanding of how shipping works in the USA: Sending goods in a bubble mailer, and sending documents in a bubble mailer, are not the same thing, and do not cost the same. Goods cost a lot more. I'm guessing if you're honest about the size, weight, etc.... and then call it "documents": You can get that paypal label for cheap, just drop it off at the post office (or just stick it in a mailbox) and nobody will care.

Does it work? Yes. Is it honest? No. IMO, it's like the hacked android boxes people use to stream TV. They're not breaking any laws (in Canada, using one of those boxes is NOT illegal), but they're not really willing to pay for the service they want - so they don't... but use it anyway.

And please, someone from the USA who has more first hand experience in this than me (I'm just going off the top of my head, from what I recall others saying) but it really comes down to lying about the contents of your package (or at least stretching the truth) to get a cheaper rate.

As for Canada Post: I have no idea. I have never been asked the contents of a domestic piece of mail. If I have to fill out a customs form.... I typically say "photos" instead of "hockey cards" - but that's an attempt to not have the package labeled as "values, steal me!", not to avoid costs...... pretty sure Canada Post doesn't care about the contents, it's just size & weight.

I don't know if calling a hockey card a document really dishonest. I mean, it's a photo on a piece of cardboard, exactly like a traditional photo.

If it was illegal or immoral, I wouldn't do it. I always pay my income taxes, never fraud whatsoever, never stole anything or anyone, I pay regular provider services instead of using cheap shady systems, I never downloaded illegal music/movies, I used to buy DVDs at 10$ a piece when I could have gotten those movies for free, etc. Don't want to brag or anything, but I take pride in being honest. I also take pride in being incorruptible, for me it's worth more than the money you could get for doing stuff that you don't WANT to do.

If someone can explain me how a hockey card/hockey photo is not a photo/document, then I'll gladly change my view.

I often answered "hockey cards" to the post Canada workers and usually, none ever said anything. But when they're not sure because they are not used to that kind of stuff, I just say hockey photos and they're "ah ok"

QUOTE=odjickfan;14814263]Canada Posts care about the contents if you ship from Canada to USA/international. That's why I now have a scale and a pile of stamps. I drop my things in a CP red box and I don't have to deal anymore with the lady in the post office asking what is in my bubble-mailers.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's a bit annoying but I have answered "documents/photos" and never had a problem really.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know if calling a hockey card a document really dishonest. I mean, it's a photo on a piece of cardboard, exactly like a traditional photo.

If it was illegal or immoral, I wouldn't do it. I always pay my income taxes, never fraud whatsoever, never stole anything or anyone, I pay regular provider services instead of using cheap shady systems, I never downloaded illegal music/movies, I used to buy DVDs at 10$ a piece when I could have gotten those movies for free, etc. Don't want to brag or anything, but I take pride in being honest. I also take pride in being incorruptible, for me it's worth more than the money you could get for doing stuff that you don't WANT to do.

If someone can explain me how a hockey card/hockey photo is not a photo/document, then I'll gladly change my view.

I often answered "hockey cards" to the post Canada workers and usually, none ever said anything. But when they're not sure because they are not used to that kind of stuff, I just say hockey photos and they're "ah ok"

QUOTE=odjickfan;14814263]Canada Posts care about the contents if you ship from Canada to USA/international. That's why I now have a scale and a pile of stamps. I drop my things in a CP red box and I don't have to deal anymore with the lady in the post office asking what is in my bubble-mailers.

Yeah it's a bit annoying but I have answered "documents/photos" and never had a problem really.[/QUOTE]

Generally speaking, photos/documents shipped via mail have no monetary value. Hockey cards, as mentioned above, are considered "goods". So calling cards documents is definitely being dishonest. Just because you get creative with the wording to support your argument, does not mean that it's right.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yeah it's a bit annoying but I have answered "documents/photos" and never had a problem really.

Generally speaking, photos/documents shipped via mail have no monetary value. Hockey cards, as mentioned above, are considered "goods". So calling cards documents is definitely being dishonest. Just because you get creative with the wording to support your argument, does not mean that it's right.[/QUOTE]

Your same argument can be used against you. The paper any document is printed on has value. Does that make those documents goods? Any photo has value to someone (not everyone), just as any hockey card has value to someone (not everyone).

Hockey cards are only goods if they're being sold.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    182 connexion hck
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Winnipeg Jets Calgary Flames

Your same argument can be used against you. The paper any document is printed on has value. Does that make those documents goods? Any photo has value to someone (not everyone), just as any hockey card has value to someone (not everyone).

Hockey cards are only goods if they're being sold.

Yeah what he is saying doesn't make any sense, like if a photo couldn't have any value

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=photo&_sacat=0&_sop=16

He was basically calling me dishonest for not having his point of view. I mean, a picture of my children have a lot more value to me than most cards people ship via the mail. But it's not the point, who says a photo sent via mail doesn't hold any tangible value? There's plenty of ways a photo can hold value. It's either a collectible (just like a hockey card, like in the link I provided), a work of art (modeling, etc), industrial photos, etc. there's a lot of photos/documents that are being sent in the business world as "goods" (so in the end someone paid for it). And the quantity is not even comparable to sports cards.

In the meantime, the vast majority of those hockey cards (piece of thin cardboard with a photo inside) has very minimal value (sells for a few dollars, sometimes even 0.01$). But yeah I am dishonest.

What if I'm selling photos of nudes? Going to the post office saying "it's only photos" makes me honest while sending hockey cards as photos is being dishonest? Even then, it doesn't even matter here in Quebec, no Canada post employee has ever told me anything when I said hockey cards.
    Last edited by Xspyrit; 09-13-2019 at 10:28 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

More of a question to Canadian collectors on this forum. I know it differs by person just general inquiry

What percentage of your collection is hockey? What percentage of your collection is by the other sports, non sports cards, etc?

I have a 100% feedback on eBay and while I don't trade much on here I enjoy the forums, opinions, information, etc. I have never shipped to Canada on here or eBay. I casually collect St Louis Blues stuff for my collection so less than 1% of my trade stuff would be hockey. Just curious

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

More of a question to Canadian collectors on this forum. I know it differs by person just general inquiry

What percentage of your collection is hockey? What percentage of your collection is by the other sports, non sports cards, etc?

I have a 100% feedback on eBay and while I don't trade much on here I enjoy the forums, opinions, information, etc. I have never shipped to Canada on here or eBay. I casually collect St Louis Blues stuff for my collection so less than 1% of my trade stuff would be hockey. Just curious

99.9% hockey. I have a few soccer cards kicking around of a goalkeeper I like, but that's it.

All hockey all the time for me.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Generally speaking, photos/documents shipped via mail have no monetary value. Hockey cards, as mentioned above, are considered "goods". So calling cards documents is definitely being dishonest. Just because you get creative with the wording to support your argument, does not mean that it's right.

Hockey cards are only goods if they're being sold.[/QUOTE]

Goods are goods, regardless of how you're choosing to distribute them. You've paid money to purchase the cards out of a pack, making them goods purchased. Doesn't matter who purchased them, they're still goods. If I "trade" those goods and send them through the mail, they are still goods.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah what he is saying doesn't make any sense, like if a photo couldn't have any value

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=photo&_sacat=0&_sop=16

He was basically calling me dishonest for not having his point of view. I mean, a picture of my children have a lot more value to me than most cards people ship via the mail. But it's not the point, who says a photo sent via mail doesn't hold any tangible value? There's plenty of ways a photo can hold value. It's either a collectible (just like a hockey card, like in the link I provided), a work of art (modeling, etc), industrial photos, etc. there's a lot of photos/documents that are being sent in the business world as "goods" (so in the end someone paid for it). And the quantity is not even comparable to sports cards.

In the meantime, the vast majority of those hockey cards (piece of thin cardboard with a photo inside) has very minimal value (sells for a few dollars, sometimes even 0.01$). But yeah I am dishonest.

What if I'm selling photos of nudes? Going to the post office saying "it's only photos" makes me honest while sending hockey cards as photos is being dishonest? Even then, it doesn't even matter here in Quebec, no Canada post employee has ever told me anything when I said hockey cards.

Are photos of your family available for international sale and distribution?

Are any of those photos on ebay printed on cardboard and sold in what is essentially a lottery format?

Look, it probably sucks to realize that you're not as honest as you think you are, but shifting the goalposts to fit your narrative doesn't make you right.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As a further example, when someone asks you what you collect, what do you say? Cards or photos?

Do you go to card shows or photo shows?

So why is it different when you go to the post office?

Isn't it awful realizing you're not as honest as you think you are?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast