Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

And...... he signed. :)
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Well, that's obviously the argument.....

Marner (clearly) believes he's on par with Matthews & Tavares. They are his comparables - and more specifically, Matthews is. If Matthews doesn't need to take a "home town discount" - why should Marner? They've been in the league for three years each (Matthews & Marner). Marner has outscored him in each of the last two seasons.... leading the Leafs in scoring both times.

Hawks' problem isn't the money they're spending on Toews, Kane, and Keith.... it's the money they're spending on guys like Crawford, Seabrook, and Anisimov.

Leafs have (allegedly) offered 7 x 11 for Marner - so they figure they can make the cap work with their top three forwards making a combined 33.6, out of 81.5 million. That's a little better than 41% of the cap.... but realistically, it will only be closer to 35% by the time Matthews is playing the 5th year of his deal, and doesn't look so bad.

Still though...... player fights with ownership to get more money. Fans almost always pick the side of the owners

It's weird, right? There's probably some psychological study done out there about how fans are demonstrably more loyal to the logo/team than any individual player, who will come and go, while the CH lives on forever. And I mean really, eventually Carey Price will no longer be a Habs, but the Habs will live on, just like they did when everybody else retired, got traded, etc.

The greatest con the League ever put over on the fans is that it's the players who were responsible for the lockouts, who are the reason ticket prices are up, etc. All in the name of the almighty profit margin.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

That isn't a bad deal for either sides

Will just need the next wave of prospects to fill in down the road. Majority of the D are RFA or FA after this year. They have legit goalie prospect that could come up in next few years? JMO I don't have much confidence in Andersen in the playoffs

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Will just need the next wave of prospects to fill in down the road. Majority of the D are RFA or FA after this year. They have legit goalie prospect that could come up in next few years? JMO I don't have much confidence in Andersen in the playoffs

I'm not worried about Andersen in the playoffs. He's been a rock for us back there pretty much since he's been a Leaf. One of the best goalies in the league I think and he just silently goes about his business night in and night out.

I am worried though about who comes after Anderson if we can't resign him after his extension finished up after the 20-21 season.

People are talking about a 3 year 'window' for the Leafs and their Stanley Cup hopes. Personally I think it can go a bit longer than that, but it'll be fun to watch.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's weird, right? There's probably some psychological study done out there about how fans are demonstrably more loyal to the logo/team than any individual player, who will come and go, while the CH lives on forever. And I mean really, eventually Carey Price will no longer be a Habs, but the Habs will live on, just like they did when everybody else retired, got traded, etc.

The greatest con the League ever put over on the fans is that it's the players who were responsible for the lockouts, who are the reason ticket prices are up, etc. All in the name of the almighty profit margin.

Not limiting this to hockey.... but I suspect that it's a product that many of us grew up playing a particular sport (or sports) and love to have played it professionally. I'm 39 years old. If it was an option for me to have played professional hockey from the ages of 21 through 35... earn millions of dollars, and be retired today - that sounds pretty appealing.

My guess is, people see a 21 year old kid like Marner holding out for a better 8 digit salary, and think "he should just be happy playing where he is", and that he's being greedy.

You're right..... somehow fans routinely blame the players for anything CBA related.... owners have done a great job making sure that's where the wrath of fans goes.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not worried about Andersen in the playoffs. He's been a rock for us back there pretty much since he's been a Leaf. One of the best goalies in the league I think and he just silently goes about his business night in and night out.

I am worried though about who comes after Anderson if we can't resign him after his extension finished up after the 20-21 season.

People are talking about a 3 year 'window' for the Leafs and their Stanley Cup hopes. Personally I think it can go a bit longer than that, but it'll be fun to watch.

It's a good deal for both sides, I think. If Marner continues to put up points at last year's pace, it will look like a bargain by the 2nd half of the deal.

I suspect Anderson is gone at the end of his deal, unless he's willing to stick around for (basically) the same money. I don't think it matters much though. He's not a bad goalie.... probably somewhere in the top half of the league... but they could swap him out for any one of a dozen guys, and IMO, the Leafs aren't any worse off.

Same for their defence - people make a bid deal over the fact that only Reilly is signed beyond this year.... but they have over 11m coming off the books (Muzin, Barrie, Ceci) and a cap increase can be expected. They'll have room to sign a couple of guys in the 4-5 million range, and fill out the depth positions with ELCs or cheap vets.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

It's a good deal for both sides, I think. If Marner continues to put up points at last year's pace, it will look like a bargain by the 2nd half of the deal.

I suspect Anderson is gone at the end of his deal, unless he's willing to stick around for (basically) the same money. I don't think it matters much though. He's not a bad goalie.... probably somewhere in the top half of the league... but they could swap him out for any one of a dozen guys, and IMO, the Leafs aren't any worse off.

Same for their defence - people make a bid deal over the fact that only Reilly is signed beyond this year.... but they have over 11m coming off the books (Muzin, Barrie, Ceci) and a cap increase can be expected. They'll have room to sign a couple of guys in the 4-5 million range, and fill out the depth positions with ELCs or cheap vets.

I would disagree that they could swap him out for a dozen guys and still be okay. They defintely could try and do that, and I supsect they'll have to once his contract is up, but I think Anderson deserves more credit and is a better goalie than that. He's carried the team a lot of nights while facing high quality scoring chances, so I don't think we could plug just any goalie back there. It'll need to be the right guy.

Anderson is very underated on a stacked Maple Leafs team and is actually a really great goalie, IMO.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 09-16-2019 at 01:33 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Toronto will have the same question as the beginning of last season. Will they have enough defense and goaltending to carry them on a playoff run?

One of the top offenses last year with middle of the pack defense and goaltending.

I think Andersen is a good goalie who will win a lot of games. That being said my comment was as a playoff goalie. He had a good run in 14-15 in the playoffs and short but good series in 15-16.

Career 25-20 in playoffs

2014-15 season with ANH 11-5
    Other 5 years in playoffs 14-15

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't think Anderson is a bad goalie at all. He's not Carey Price or Sergei Bobrovsky, but he's really good.

I don't think the Leafs chances this year would be any worse if they had Devan Dubnyk, Robin Lehner, Semyon Varlamov, or Ben Bishop in net. Those guys all make about the same (or a little less) than Anderson.

What I'm trying to get at.... in two years assume the cap is around 85 million, Freddy Anderson is a free agent, and the Leafs either need to bring him back or replace him. The Leafs have just under 40 million tied up in four forwards. Some people are insisting that means they won't be able to do anything else..... and I think that's the wrong conclusion.

The Leafs will be able to spend somewhere in the 5-6 million range on a goalie. If Anderson wants 8 (for example) and can get it elsewhere.... they're going to have to let him walk, and replace him with a decent alternative. I don't think that will be hard to do, at all. That's the consequence of the four big money forwards..... but I also think that consequence is well worth it.

I would disagree that they could swap him out for a dozen guys and still be okay. They defintely could try and do that, and I supsect they'll have to once his contract is up, but I think Anderson deserves more credit and is a better goalie than that. He's carried the team a lot of nights while facing high quality scoring chances, so I don't think we could plug just any goalie back there. It'll need to be the right guy.

Anderson is very underated on a stacked Maple Leafs team and is actually a really great goalie, IMO.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

Oh for sure, I see them not being able to keep Anderson (sadly). He has every right to walk since we have all of the money tied up with our forwards when his contract is up. I wouldn't blame him for doing so, and it would be a tough pill for the team to swallow since Anderson is really good and has played amazing for us since joining the team.

At that point I hope we can sign a similar goalie to Anderson, which there would be those guys avialible (looking at comparables, statistically or financially), but will they be able to perform in Toronto under these bright lights like Anderson has? That's the real question mark in my mind. It's a tough, tough job and I would hate to lose a guy like Anderson who's proven he can do just that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12