Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Best of luck.

I know for me, five years ago my collecting focused around four main things:

1. Bill Ranford
    2. All time Oilers collection
    3. Set building (UD S1/2)
    4. Set building (a few random ones, various years)

Today?

I quit with #3, and sold off what was a complete collection at the time. I thought I would miss it, and I can honestly say I don't miss it even a little bit.

#1, I still really enjoy it, to a point. It does work well for me, because I'm collecting a non-HOF player, that hasn't stepped on an NHL rink since the year 2000. If something comes out that I'm not into - I have no problem saying "meh, don't want it".

#2, is still a lot of fun for me - but the beauty of it is that I never get too caught up owning cards of an particular player.

#4 I haven't stopped, but I'm literally looking for like 6 cards to finish off a couple of sets.

If you're still casually interested in collecting cards (and it sounds like you are, to a degree) I think it's easy to stay connected to things, without being "all in", so to speak.

Of course you're right, it takes money to do most things - and some of the money you have tied up in those cardboard assets.... well, free it up and hopefully the cash helps with whatever else it is you've got ahead of you.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Glad to have met you over a facebook group Richard! Been a solid 10+ years now sir, Always enjoy chatting and working out deals, You're defiently a class A+ in this hobby! All the best and hope to see you reach your new milestones!! GHG

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The nice thing about this hobby is that you take a hiatus, and it'll still be here waiting when you come back.
    Heck, I've been on hiatus more than not for the last 30 years than I've been actively collecting.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Best of luck.

1. Bill Ranford

Today?

I quit with #3, and sold off what was a complete collection at the time. I thought I would miss it, and I can honestly say I don't miss it even a little bit.

#1, I still really enjoy it, to a point. It does work well for me, because I'm collecting a non-HOF player, that hasn't stepped on an NHL rink since the year 2000. If something comes out that I'm not into - I have no problem saying "meh, don't want it".

#2, is still a lot of fun for me - but the beauty of it is that I never get too caught up owning cards of an particular player.

#4 I haven't stopped, but I'm literally looking for like 6 cards to finish off a couple of sets.

If you're still casually interested in collecting cards (and it sounds like you are, to a degree) I think it's easy to stay connected to things, without being "all in", so to speak.

Of course you're right, it takes money to do most things - and some of the money you have tied up in those cardboard assets.... well, free it up and hopefully the cash helps with whatever else it is you've got ahead of you.

Good advice right here. I did something very similar when I left the hobby a few years back.

When I came back I just made my collecting habits very simple and simplified my collection to boot. I collect one main player (Enroth) and I have a set (the UD 300 Win Club Jersey cards) that I am in no rush to finish.

I haven't picked up a Brodeur or Belfour card purposely in years. I've picked up the odd Fleury card in a Vegas uniform, which is cool, and I still plan on doing so if a car catches my eye, and the Carey Price collection has stalled, but I'm happy with what it is.

This way I can devote my hobby dollars for collections I will always appreciate, plus I can use my extra funds to support other people and hobbies in my life (yoga, hockey, might be picking up cycling soon).

Best of luck!
    Last edited by creasecollector; 09-16-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Good advice right here. I did something very similar when I left the hobby a few years back.

When I came back I just made my collecting habits very simple and simplified my collection to boot. I collect one main player (Enroth) and I have a set (the UD 300 Win Club Jersey cards) that I am in no rush to finish.

I haven't picked up a Brodeur or Belfour card purposely in years. I've picked up the odd Fleury card in a Vegas uniform, which is cool, and I still plan on doing so if a car catches my eye, and the Carey Price collection has stalled, but I'm happy with what it is.

This way I can devote my hobby dollars for collections I will always appreciate, plus I can use my extra funds to support other people and hobbies in my life (yoga, hockey, might be picking up cycling soon).

Best of luck!

That's where I'm at too. Very little wax. I'm still collecting Odjick, that's the core of my collection. For m-A Pouliot, I'm looking to move dupes. A few sets that I'm slowly completing. Habs and Nordiques cards in trades or if the deal is great. And when I have a chance, I'm selling tradebait.

I enjoy yoga too. And, I love fishing!! :)
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

That's where I'm at too. Very little wax. I'm still collecting Odjick, that's the core of my collection. For m-A Pouliot, I'm looking to move dupes. A few sets that I'm slowly completing. Habs and Nordiques cards in trades or if the deal is great. And when I have a chance, I'm selling tradebait.

I enjoy yoga too. And, I love fishing!! :)

Awesome, glad to see another member who also enjoys yoga. That stuff is hard, man. Totally worth it though.

For me, I've always been drawn back to hockey cards in some way. It helps that I love the sport of hockey and I get the chance to play it every week.

As for wax, I might break one box a year, if that. Maybe a S1/2 Blaster here and there. Too much of a gamble these days, sadly. I'd rather spend money on singles and just focus on the core of my collection and enjoy what I've managed to pick up in the past as well.

Creating my very own website to display/write about my collection has also given me a newfound appreciation on what I've been able to pickup over the years and enjoy the hobby in a simple way. Compared to others, my collection is small, but It's mine and I love that.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 09-16-2019 at 01:22 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Awesome, glad to see another member who also enjoys yoga. That stuff is hard, man. Totally worth it though.

For me, I've always been drawn back to hockey cards in some way. It helps that I love the sport of hockey and I get the chance to play it every week.

As for wax, I might break one box a year, if that. Maybe a S1/2 Blaster here and there. Too much of a gamble these days, sadly. I'd rather spend money on singles and just focus on the core of my collection and enjoy what I've managed to pick up in the past as well.

Creating my very own website to display/write about my collection has also given me a newfound appreciation on what I've been able to pickup over the years and enjoy the hobby in a simple way. Compared to others, my collection is small, but It's mine and I love that.

I enjoy a lot picking cards that were not affordable for me when I started collecting back in the days. Memorabilia and Dufex cards from licenced ITG, some obscure Pacific cards, that kind of stuff. That's what I enjoy the most at the moment in the hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Enjoy the transition from collecting and working on the site.

Bake
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (489)
    Country
    Upper Deck ePack

Richard Good Luck!
    Collecting; Autos, GU'd & RC of Red Wings, Brodeur, Hasek & Shanahan and ITG 2004-05 Franchises. Motown Madness & Broad Street Boys.
    Want List: Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Wow, glad to hear that you have other things in life besides collecting (I think we all need that) but I hope we'll get to still see you around here. You're a good source of information, both about the Habs and the hobby and you play a big role in making the hockey part of SCF go smoothly.

Best of luck moving forward, hope to have the opportunity to still deal with you in the future.

GOHABSGO!

Thanks my friend. One of the real kicks I have been getting lately is watching all your S&T threads. It does give me that all-too-brief spark to go out and add some more shiny stuff!

Richard, best of luck with everything moving forward. You and your collection is awesome, and I hope you hang onto all your Gorges stuff if/when the itch comes back, as I would hate for you to feel any regret if you move it. I went through something similar a few years back and decided to hang onto most of my PC stuff and the fire for this great hobby did eventually comeback and has been alive every since.

I'm sure you've thought about this a lot and you'll make the best decision that fits your goals. The hobby and its collectors will always be here when you need it.

I hope the Habs (and Carey) have a monster year ahead of them.

All the best, friend!

Like I said, the only guy I'd ever move the Gorges PC to is Josh himself if he wants it and is willing to pay full BV. LOL

Best of luck.

1. Bill Ranford

Today?

That's one of the many good things about collecting Habs players--there's almost always a market for them until they get traded in disgrace. LOL I will for sure pick up the odd card, and probably will crack more Tim Hortons cards than I care to admit.

Glad to have met you over a facebook group Richard! Been a solid 10+ years now sir, Always enjoy chatting and working out deals, You're defiently a class A+ in this hobby! All the best and hope to see you reach your new milestones!! GHG

Always a pleasure my dude. The CP mafia lives on!

The nice thing about this hobby is that you take a hiatus, and it'll still be here waiting when you come back.
    Heck, I've been on hiatus more than not for the last 30 years than I've been actively collecting.

Definitely! And they always find new stuff to keep you coming back for more!

Enjoy the transition from collecting and working on the site.

Bake

Oh don't worry, I'll still be here raising trouble for the establishment (aka @scottkoz20)

Richard Good Luck!

Thank you my friend!
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast