Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Score is back?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I agree probably not "All Kappo", but this is different from the Score I collected. This sounds more like a premium product, I would suggest a name change.

I agree. This already sounds like a very different release from the Panini Score we've seen in the past. So the name confuses me right off the bat.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I agree. This already sounds like a very different release from the Panini Score we've seen in the past. So the name confuses me right off the bat.

The name confused me as well. How about "Kakko and Friends" instead. Either way, I want nothing to do with it in protest to the fact that my Kakko SPA Future Watch is ruined.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

ahhhh ty

that's a bit of a letdown - the title of the thread got me super excited for ACTUAL score-style sets :P

I'd love to put together an actual score set like the old days again

There is still MVP, OPC and Parkhurst :)
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

The name confused me as well. How about "Kakko and Friends" instead. Either way, I want nothing to do with it in protest to the fact that my Kakko SPA Future Watch is ruined.

Why will your Kakko Future Watch be ruined? Please don't whine that "it won't be signed!". You know what? I think there are too many players with signed Future Watch cards as it is. Future Watch should be 50/50 - half of the players should have signed Future Watch cards and half not.

The simple fact of the matter is, many players couldn't be bothered to sign anything. They just want to do what they do best - play hockey. Upper Deck should ask players beforehand if they are willing to sign Future Watch cards. If they are not willing, the card should be unsigned. Doing that might hopefully avoid the redemption headache.

Think about it: Most years, there are 999 Future Watch cards per player. That's 999 times they would have to sign their name. In recent years, 50 of those are also inscribed with a word or phrase as well. Why the hell would they want to spend 3 - 4 hours a day over the course of a few days during the season doing that?

Their hands and wrists are more valuable to their respective teams than to greedy collectors (yes, I said it and it's true. Most collectors don't give a damn about a Future Watch if it isn't signed). Personally, I'd love for Upper Deck to issue an SP Authentic set down the line similar to the 2000-01 set - ZERO autographed Future Watch cards.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

The simple fact of the matter is, many players couldn't be bothered to sign anything. They just want to do what they do best - play hockey. Upper Deck should ask players beforehand if they are willing to sign Future Watch cards. If they are not willing, the card should be unsigned. Doing that might hopefully avoid the redemption headache.

Think about it: Most years, there are 999 Future Watch cards per player. That's 999 times they would have to sign their name. In recent years, 50 of those are also inscribed with a word or phrase as well. Why the hell would they want to spend 3 - 4 hours a day over the course of a few days during the season doing that?

I think most players are over the moon excited to sign their cards, and Upper Deck knows that, which is how the FWA checklists are pretty deep with big name prospects & then those who will never truly "make it" at the NHL level. UD knows that if they ask a player (or their agent, which is more accurate), then they will most likely get signatures from that player. There will of course be those few who have a redemption card forever, but those are very few and far between. Most guys are stoked to sign NHL rookie cards of themselves.

To your next point, there is also a financial component to this as well. Most of these guys on a FWA card will need to maximize their earnings as a NHL Prospect before their time is up at that level. So even if it's a pain in the butt, signing 999 hockey cards isn't that big of a deal. Again, they are happy to do it and probably think it's really cool. Plus it's one of the easiest paychecks they'll ever earn. Signing your own name for money? Yeah, sign me up for that.

Source: My cousin is in the NHL and has Upper Deck autographed cards.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I think most players are over the moon excited to sign their cards, and Upper Deck knows that, which is how the FWA checklists are pretty deep with big name prospects & then those who will never truly "make it" at the NHL level. UD knows that if they ask a player (or their agent, which is more accurate), then they will most likely get signatures from that player. There will of course be those few who have a redemption card forever, but those are very few and far between. Most guys are stoked to sign NHL rookie cards of themselves.

To your next point, there is also a financial component to this as well. Most of these guys on a FWA card will need to maximize their earnings as a NHL Prospect before their time is up at that level. So even if it's a pain in the butt, signing 999 hockey cards isn't that big of a deal. Again, they are happy to do it and probably think it's really cool. Plus it's one of the easiest paychecks they'll ever earn. Signing your own name for money? Yeah, sign me up for that.

Source: My cousin is in the NHL and has Upper Deck autographed cards.

You are a little off...not EVERYONE is excited to sign their cards. If they were, there would be no redemptions. In 2013-14, Sami Vatanen comes to mind. Never did sign his cards. Couldn't be bothered to do so. Upper Deck had to ask John Gibson to sign Future Watch cards in its place. It made Upper Deck look like fools and as a result, they were guilty of false advertising. They advertised that a signed Sami Vatanen would be in the set and it never was. That's on the card company as much as it is on the player.

This is why I think Upper Deck should ask the players who wants to sign. If they say no, it's a regular Future Watch. If it's a yes, it should be done in a timely manner. If you agree to sign and you don't do so by the release date, you get a regular Future Watch. Upper Deck should delay the release of the checklist until they get concrete confirmation that the player will sign. Ideally, they should have the signed cards in hand before the checklist is released.

I'm not sure the joy of signing cards is as widespread as you think. The aforementioned Sami Vatanen, Casey Cizikas, Zemgus Girgensons, Matt Nieto, Tomas Vincour, Vladimir Tarasenko, Josh Bailey, Mikhail Grigorenko, Reilly Smith, Cody Goloubef, Connor Carrick, Rasmus Ristolainen, Max Domi, and Tuukka Rask are all examples of players who were in no rush to sign cards. And why would they be? I would consider at least seven of those players to be stars and they do not need the money. The rest couldn't be bothered to spend the time.

Doesn't matter to me if a card is signed. I simply do not get the big deal with autographs. I am as happy with my unsigned Marian Gaborik or Max Pacioretty Future Watch as I am with my signed Henrik Zetterberg or William Nylander Future Watch.
    Last edited by Leafsman; 10-04-2019 at 02:40 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think most players are over the moon excited to sign their cards.

Do you think there is a difference between signing a card and signing a sheet of auto stickers? I agree that a majority of players probably get some satisfaction out of signing their name to their own hockey card. I'm not sure that signing sheet after sheet of stickers would have the same affect.

On the flip side, I can understand if some player don't sign because they don't like people profiting of their name/image...reducing them to a commodity.. Aside from PC or set collectors there are a lot of hockey "investors" out there only looking for a profit. They don't dig that auto card because it's cool. Their first thought is how much profit can I get for this.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Do you think there is a difference between signing a card and signing a sheet of auto stickers? I agree that a majority of players probably get some satisfaction out of signing their name to their own hockey card. I'm not sure that signing sheet after sheet of stickers would have the same affect.

On the flip side, I can understand if some player don't sign because they don't like people profiting of their name/image...reducing them to a commodity.. Aside from PC or set collectors there are a lot of hockey "investors" out there only looking for a profit. They don't dig that auto card because it's cool. Their first thought is how much profit can I get for this.

I agree with your comment about profit. Sadly, I think the "profiteers" outnumber the player/team collectors now.

Players know what's up. They aren't stupid. They know these people exist. Hell, the Vegas Golden Knights have a policy in place that says they will not sign for any fan over the age of 14, I believe it is:

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/1/...licy-kids-only

Thoughts on that? I personally like it.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

You are a little off...not EVERYONE is excited to sign their cards. If they were, there would be no redemptions. In 2013-14, Sami Vatanen comes to mind. Never did sign his cards. Couldn't be bothered to do so. Upper Deck had to ask John Gibson to sign Future Watch cards in its place. It made Upper Deck look like fools and as a result, they were guilty of false advertising. They advertised that a signed Sami Vatanen would be in the set and it never was. That's on the card company as much as it is on the player.

This is why I think Upper Deck should ask the players who wants to sign. If they say no, it's a regular Future Watch. If it's a yes, it should be done in a timely manner. If you agree to sign and you don't do so by the release date, you get a regular Future Watch. Upper Deck should delay the release of the checklist until they get concrete confirmation that the player will sign. Ideally, they should have the signed cards in hand before the checklist is released.

I'm not sure the joy of signing cards is as widespread as you think. The aforementioned Sami Vatanen, Casey Cizikas, Zemgus Girgensons, Matt Nieto, Tomas Vincour, Vladimir Tarasenko, Josh Bailey, Mikhail Grigorenko, Reilly Smith, Cody Goloubef, Connor Carrick, Rasmus Ristolainen, Max Domi, and Tuukka Rask are all examples of players who were in no rush to sign cards. And why would they be? I would consider at least seven of those players to be stars and they do not need the money. The rest couldn't be bothered to spend the time.

Doesn't matter to me if a card is signed. I simply do not get the big deal with autographs. I am as happy with my unsigned Marian Gaborik or Max Pacioretty Future Watch as I am with my signed Henrik Zetterberg or William Nylander Future Watch.

I didn't say all players enjoy signing cards, I assume most do, and my point was being made about the Future Watch Autographs only, which is most likely their first shot at signing their first 'official' card of themselves in a NHL uniform.

I'd also assume that these players who were asked to sign but did not had all intentions to sign their cards at some point before the agreement was made with Upper Deck (can't fault UD on that, they are just trying to build their products and produce autographed content), otherwise the deal would not have been made in the first place. I suspect once they figure out how much cards they actually need to sign (remember, most players have little to no hobby knowledge and don't know anything about autograph print runs going in - they just hear about how much $ they get paid per autograph), then they get side tracked or can't bother with signing cards once they are too busy living the life of an NHL player.

Oh defintely. My points were mostly mainly focused on the Future Watch Auto, because it's most likely the players' first oppourtunity to sign their own rookie cards and I was pointing out what an exciting experience that must be. That is why the FWA checklists are usually pretty deep, because Upper Deck knows whichever rookie they ask is bound to say yes and I'm sure those young prospects do get a kick out of signing their own NHL rookie cards for the first time and being paid for it.

After that, if they are lucky enough to have more of a hobby presence and UD asks them back to sign more cards, I'm sure the autograph sessions do loose their spark after awhile, especially if they need to start signing stickers and all of that.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 10-04-2019 at 09:58 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I didn't say all players enjoy signing cards, I assume most do, and my point was being made about the Future Watch Autographs only, which is most likely their first shot at signing their first 'official' card of themselves in a NHL uniform.

I'd also assume that these players who were asked to sign but did not had all intentions to sign their cards at some point before the agreement was made with Upper Deck (can't fault UD on that, they are just trying to build their products and produce autographed content), otherwise the deal would not have been made in the first place. I suspect once they figure out how much cards they actually need to sign (remember, most players have little to no hobby knowledge and don't know anything about autograph print runs going in - they just hear about how much $ they get paid per autograph), then they get side tracked or can't bother with signing cards once they are too busy living the life of an NHL player.

Oh defintely. My points were mostly mainly focused on the Future Watch Auto, because it's most likely the players' first oppourtunity to sign their own rookie cards and I was pointing out what an exciting experience that must be. That is why the FWA checklists are usually pretty deep, because Upper Deck knows whichever rookie they ask is bound to say yes and I'm sure those young prospects do get a kick out of signing their own NHL rookie cards for the first time and being paid for it.

After that, if they are lucky enough to have more of a hobby presence and UD asks them back to sign more cards, I'm sure the autograph sessions do loose their spark after awhile, especially if they need to start signing stickers and all of that.

You should never assume. Don't you know about that word? "It makes an a** out of u and me". A kind word of advice: Never speak for someone if you don't know how they feel or where they stand. Yes, I am sure some of the players like signing, but I don't think their as eager to do so as you think.

Remember, it isn't only the Future Watch they would be asked to sign. If a top rookie is approached by Upper Deck to sign Future Watch cards, it is also likely that a fair number of them will also be asked to sign cards for other sets. Here is a list of cards Auston Matthews had to sign in his rookie year:

999 Future Watch patch cards
    1 SP Game Used autographed rookie card
    SP Game Used Autographs Blue cards (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    SP Game Used Banner Year Draft Autographed cards (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    10 SP Game Used Draft Day Marks cards
    SP Game Used Red Jersey AU cards (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    25 SP Game Used Red Spectrum Patch AU cards
    35 SP Game Used Rookie Sweaters JSY AU cards
    SP Game Used Rookie Sweaters Inked Patch cards (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    25 SPx Blue cards
    25 SPx Extraordinary Material Autographs Black cards
    SPx Extreme Black Holo Shield Autographed cards (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    99 SPx Gold Patch cards
    5 SPx Rookies Black Tag AU cards
    10 SPx Rookies Blue AU cards
    25 SPx Rookies Gold AU cards
    10 The Cup '05-06 Rookie Tribute Patch AU cards
    99 The Cup Autographed Rookie Patch cards
    1 The Cup Black Autographed Rookie Patch card
    1 The Cup Black Shield card
    The Cup Brilliance Autographs (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    10 The Cup Cup Foundations Patch cards
    15 The Cup Emblems of Endorsement cards
    15 The Cup Foundations Jersey Autographs cards
    1 The Cup Foundations Jersey Tag Autographs cards
    5 The Cup Foundations Patch Autographs cards
    1 The Cup Foundations Premium Material Tag Autographs card
    12 The Cup Gold cards
    24 The Cup Gold Spectrum cards
    34 The Cup Honorable Numbers cards
    50 The Cup Limited Logos cards
    6 The Cup Monumental Rookie Patch Autographs cards
    10 The Cup NHL Glory Autographs cards
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Exquisite Collection Rookie Autographs Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Exquisite Collection Rookie Autographs Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Exquisite Collection Rookie Autographs Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Exquisite Collection Rookie Autographs Yellow card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates SP Authentic Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates SP Authentic Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates SP Authentic Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates SP Authentic Yellow card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Black U card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Black R card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Cyan U card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Cyan R card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Magenta U card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Magenta R card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Yellow U card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Trilogy Yellow R card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Black Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Black Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Black Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Black Yellow card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Premier Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Premier Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Premier Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates UD Premier Yellow card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Ultimate Collection Black card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Ultimate Collection Cyan card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Ultimate Collection Magenta card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Ultimate Collection Yellow card
    1 The Cup Printing Plates Yellow card
    4 The Cup Red TAG AU cards
    18 The Cup Rookie Bookmarks Dual Autographs cards
    24 The Cup Rookie Gear Relic Autographs cards
    35 The Cup Scripted Materials cards
    15 The Cup Scripted Materials Dual cards
    99 The Cup Signature Materials cards
    15 The Cup Signature Materials Dual cards
    The Cup Signature Renditions (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    The Cup Signature Renditions Combos (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    The Cup The Show Autographs (no listed print run, I'm sure there is one)
    1 The Cup Top 10 Picks Autographs card
    1 The Cup Top 10 Picks Autographs Black card

NOT FUN. Especially when you know that people are only going to try to make large profits on many of them.

Upper Deck would not like me if I was a player. I wouldn't sign anything, knowing what happens in the hobby. I would adopt the Golden Knights autograph policy. I'd sign for children only.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast